Toss the junk food? I disagree.

Options
2»

Replies

• elloradannon
    Options
    I choose not to buy junk food, not because I don't crave it, but because most of it has no nutritional value and is not good for you. When I only have 1370 calories a day (not including the ones from exercising), I have to be very careful to make those calories useful and filling. If I used them up on junk food, even with controlled portions, I would be STARVING if I wanted to stay under calories for the day. I think it's great if you can control yourself around junk food, but I agree with another poster that said there is enough temptations with parties, work gatherings, happy hours, going out to eat, etc... I don't need it in my house too. I understand what you are saying though... if you TOTALLY get rid of something, you are more likely to overdo it when you do have it!:smile:
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    But dosn't the willpower start in the shop.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I do agree with people saying "why buy the junk food at all??" - However, this is not the OP's point. She wasn't saying that you should bring in junk food just to test your willpower (or at least I don't think she was...). Her point is that many of us do not have complete control over what comes into our house - or if we did, it would impose on other people. Sure, we *could* try to get demanding and tell our significant others/roomates/family members that junk food isn't allowed and if they want any, they need to keep it out of the house, but chances are, that will just cause problems. I do think that an exception is made for kids - since it is up to the parents to let them know what diet is appropriate, espcially if both parents are on-board with the "no junk food" - but when you're talking about adults, it's another matter.

I don't buy junk food. I don't bring it into my house. However, other people I live with do, and I am not going to ask them to change their habits just because I am changing mine. Do I occasionally mention to my brother how great I feel now that I'm eating healthy? Yes. Do I try to set a good example and remind him I'm happy to share some of my healthy dinner with him? Yes. Would I love it if he stopped eating junk food? Yes. I face plenty of temptation in the rest of the world, and agree that if you do have full control over your home, then why bring junk food in - but for some of us, that's not realisticaly something we can push for. I do think I'm stronger for having dealt with temptation in my own home than I would be had I not - but that's just me. Everyone's journey and needs are different.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,728 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Trenton. That's exactly what I was saying – or trying to say anyway. :smile:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i agree with you trenton and jill. great point!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    It seems like every time I want to comment on a thread, all I have to say is "I agree with Trenton"

Trenton, sir, you have a way with words that exactly reflects what I want to say, every time. Even down to the proper punctuation and grammar. Keep the well spoken posts coming, you save me time typing!:laugh:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It seems like every time I want to comment on a thread, all I have to say is "I agree with Trenton"

Trenton, sir, you have a way with words that exactly reflects what I want to say, every time. Even down to the proper punctuation and grammar. Keep the well spoken posts coming, you save me time typing!:laugh:

:blushing:

Glad you find my posts helpful.
  • gretal
    Options
    I totally agree. I'm around junk food all the time, but have found it easier then I thought it'd be to resist. I'm also grateful my fiance still eats whatever food he loves around me. I feel like if he dieted along with me, like some couples do, then I wouldn't have much temptation and it'd be easier to lose weight, but also way too easy to turn back in to the same old habits once I'm at a comfortable weight. I, too, have a high risk of diabeties, which is a big enough reason for me to resist all those sweets. I'd hate to one day not be able to enjoy a simple bowl of ice cream without having to check my blood sugar/take drugs/etc.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to stop in to say I agree with this theory. I stopped eating refined sugar, years ago, but my boyfriend shouldn't have to give up sugar just because I have made this choice for myself.

Now spray cheese, if such a thing exists, he would need to eat at work. I'm from the dairy country, I take my cheese very seriously.