need help from women w/prior c-sections

Options
Okay so I had two C-sections for my kids and a hysterectomy. I have that classic lower abdominal pooch. I tried doing some lower abdominal work in the morning - sore but nothing major. Then on the elliptical of all things, all of a sudden I had this massive 'rip" feeling in my lower abdomen where I have some known adhesions/scar tissue.

No bruising, but the "pooch" seems noticeably bigger. I'm worried I may have done something, but it could also just be swelling from actually working the area and I might have just pulled a muscle.

Any insight would be great. Have any of you experienced anything like this? Just treating with ibuprofen and a heating pad, and when I go to the gym today I'll either do a recumbent bike or do the elliptical without the arms.

Thanks for any information. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• nofearbebravelive
    Options
    I have a pulling or stretching sensation sometimes (3 C-Sections and 4 other abdominal surgeries) but never swelling, if you are swelling you should just check in with your dr. I wouldn't do anything else, exercise wise until you talk to them. How long has it been since your last surgery? If it's less than a year, call your dr as soon as possible. I am five years out and I am still fairly cautious.
  • getdancing2013
    getdancing2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy 3 1/2 years ago and the C's were in 2001 and 2009. I thought I'd be okay because there was no bruising (I've had a torn calf before) but you're right I should probably go to the Saturday clinic and get checked out just in case.

The pain isn't constant, though, and I'm wondering if I just tore up a scar tissue ball? I felt around while laying down and one of the bigger balls is, well, not there anymore.

Anyways, you're right I should probably get checked out.
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Nope doesn't sound good. Doctor is best bet. My incision is still partially numb & mine was 2006.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    sounds like a diasits recti. basically your abs are supposed to fit right up next to each other, and hold your intestines in. now they arent. double check with your dr to make sure its not a hernia, and then if its not, check out julie tupler's diastis recti program. (i know i spelled it wrong, but try googling split abs or something similar)

good luck!
  • getdancing2013
    getdancing2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Okay, so update after doctor's visit - it's not diastasis recti - completely different area. This is down near my pubic bone and spreads left to right; diastasis recti is down the middle of the abdominal muscles around the belly button with contents that protrude/a noticeable hole. Did an ultrasound and the area is fine (well, other than all the fat :tongue: )

She went through my surgical report/medical record and tried to locate the scar tissue balls/adhesions that were noted before and there's 2 she couldn't find. She said an MRI would be better, but her suspicion is that I tore open those two areas versus tearing muscle, which is why I feel "puffy" to the area (healing response) versus any bruising.

So her recommendation is to avoid all ab exercises for now, and when I do the elliptical or walk the treadmill to wear some kind of supportive garment, and if possible to wear an abdominal binder at home a few times a day. Ibuprofen, heat/ice alternating to the area, etc.

Glad it wasn't a hernia, and it's not sharp anymore, but man it's not comfortable :grumble: I'm just glad I don't have to completely stop working out, though, because I'm so happy that I'm in a routine.

Thank you all for your advice - I appreciate it completely and it made me get checked out, so now I have the peace of mind :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Okay, so update after doctor's visit - it's not diastasis recti - completely different area. This is down near my pubic bone and spreads left to right; diastasis recti is down the middle of the abdominal muscles around the belly button with contents that protrude/a noticeable hole. Did an ultrasound and the area is fine (well, other than all the fat :tongue: )

She went through my surgical report/medical record and tried to locate the scar tissue balls/adhesions that were noted before and there's 2 she couldn't find. She said an MRI would be better, but her suspicion is that I tore open those two areas versus tearing muscle, which is why I feel "puffy" to the area (healing response) versus any bruising.

So her recommendation is to avoid all ab exercises for now, and when I do the elliptical or walk the treadmill to wear some kind of supportive garment, and if possible to wear an abdominal binder at home a few times a day. Ibuprofen, heat/ice alternating to the area, etc.

Glad it wasn't a hernia, and it's not sharp anymore, but man it's not comfortable :grumble: I'm just glad I don't have to completely stop working out, though, because I'm so happy that I'm in a routine.

Thank you all for your advice - I appreciate it completely and it made me get checked out, so now I have the peace of mind :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

thats probably about the best news you could have hope for! hope you feel better soon!