Women and Weights...

Options
I've been really enjoying my strength and weight training, but I have noticed that lately, it hasn't been as challenging. As a woman, I am more interested in toning and strengthening than I am building muscle mass. I do two sets of 20 reps on each machine and I keep a weight journal on my phone, so that I remain consistent. I lift weights every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. So, my question is, would it be more effective for me to increase my reps or my weight?

Replies

• jennylynn84
    Options
    I usually increase my weight as my ability increases. Women aren't actually genetically predisposed to get bulky like men do, so don't worry to much about looking like the Hulk one day. Without manly amounts of testosterone, it isn't gonna happen.

Awesome work at being so consistent with lifting!
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I always increase weight. Women do not have enough muscle to naturally become bulky so don't be afraid of gaining muscle, that's what makes you look toned and makes you stronger.

Who wants to spend an extra 15-20 minutes doing more reps? I would much rather lift 2-5 more lbs than take more time.

That's just me.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I started doing weights in June, and have been adding about 10 lbs every week or two. I'm up to 70-80 lbs on tricep dips, 30-40 lbs on pec flys, and 60 lbs on chest press. It makes me proud when I can move a lot of weight in a short amount of time. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Even for toning there is no benefit for doing so many reps. Try reducing to 12-15 reps and increase the weight. Dont worry you will not bulk up and you will get better results. In order to bulk up you have to eat more calories than you burn (caloric surplus).
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other ladies... you would have to really max out your muscles daily to bulk up. You didn't say what weight you are currently lifting, I assume its nothing to the extreme. So I would increase your weight and give that a few more weeks.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Even for toning there is no benefit for doing so many reps. Try reducing to 12-15 reps and increase the weight. Dont worry you will not bulk up and you will get better results. In order to bulk up you have to eat more calories than you burn (caloric surplus).

Exactly. I've been preaching this quite a bit lately, because so many woman have been told the high-rep myth. I'm a big, strong male who can spend over an hour working a single muscle in the gym and even I'M not bulking up at the moment because of the calorie deficit I'm using to lose weight. Your muscles are getting stronger and yes, they will grow a little, but unless your physiology is exceptional in a number of ways, you won't bulk up, and as you continue to lose fat your new muscles will help give you an athletic, toned look. Instead of 2 sets of 20, try 3 sets. One warm up set with your normal weight, then 2 more wtih a weight that forces you to struggle around 18 reps. If you're still able to do 20, then up the weight for the third set.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm getting stronger, I'll keep lifting HEAVIER and not doing more reps. I don't have enough time to dedicate to lifting weights to do more than about 30 minutes. The best way to lift is to muscle fatigue and that's when you can barely crank out the last rep. You're going to have to do about 80 to reach that, whereas you could get there with 10 by lifting heavier. Better use of time in my opinion!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Read The New Rules of Lifting for Women - I guarantee it will change your body. It is such a good program if you want to strength train.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Agreed with above- my trainer has me do 3 sets of 12-15 reps. Gradually increasing the weight is the way to go.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm doing ChaLean Extreme. In month one, you do 12 reps and you lift heavy enough to TRULY fail between rep 10-12. In month two, you lower the reps and up the weight and truly fail between 6-8. In month 3, you're back to 10-12 for failure. I'm using dumbbells between 12 lbs. (mainly tricep work) to 30 pounds (chest press/chest fly/back) and am actually getting SMALLER with the more lean muscle mass I build.