I think this is why I gained weight.

Options
Current stats: 5'2 / 116-120lbs / 19 y/o
Current goal weight: 110lbs on or before March 1, 2014 :frown: I just really want to get rid of my tummy fat.

Back in high school, which was like 2-3 years ago, I could eat whatever I want and not gain weight. I weighed 100lbs flat back then. I was skinny fat for sure. I have thin arms and legs but it's always my tummy that gets fat. So true and so frustrating.

Now I'm in college and I gained a whopping (for me) 20lbs in two years. I was devasted. I was not depressed but I was like "What the heck happened? What's happening? What did I do?" I was so careless. I thought my body wouldn't change in terms of weight gain.

Then I realized that maybe it's because I'm getting older. Some people have also told me this. Yes, true, possible. But what about other people? Why hasn't it happened to them? Well I know everyone's different but this really hit me hard. Damn you body!

Then another realization was that back in high school, I didn't eat as much as I did now in college (due to time differences). When I got into college, I got into eating more food (and fast food) and because I thought my body wouldn't betray me, I didn't care what I ate and how much I ate.

So I started working out, diet, blahblahblah. Still gained.

Then I thought maybe muscle gain had something to do with the numbers on the scale too. My thighs/hips have gotten bigger. Leaner? Muscular. Not a bad thing but damn didn't expect them to become like this. From measurements, my hips increased by 2 inches. (Of course, my tummy too, sadly)

ANYWAY so the culprits to my weight gain are: body getting older, i'm eating more compared to my high school years (aka super calorie surplus), and muscle gain.

AND my drop from 120 to 116 is most likely water weight as I've changed to a paleo lifestyle just last week. I'm going to weigh again tomorrow (Sunday). Pray I have some success.

What do you think? Any other factors?

Replies

• tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why they have a term called the Freshman 15. Going to college is a huge lifestyle adjustment, and a lot can be contributed to stress or the sudden freedom of choice to do whatever you want whenever you want as compared to high school. Many social activities now probably revolve around food or coffee (or alcohol) in some way. You also make many more of your own food choices in college, and so you may really tend towards those things you liked but didn't get to have a lot in high school. It happens to a very large part of the population (even those that don't go to college, but now have their own apartment where they can eat whatever they want).
    Also, your body may be still maturing as a young woman, and it wants to develop more curves. This means more fat%. It's all up to you to either embrace your extra bit or to tone or to lose a little weight. Bear in mind that 116 lbs is a pretty normal weight for someone 5'2". I was very athletic in high school, and when I graduated, I weighed 118 (I'm 5'4"), then I gained up to 125 in college. In my journey, I wish that I had stopped calling myself fat and just focused on fitness rather than weight, because when you get even older, your body has a harder time staying at a certain college or high school weight, and your level of fitness now will help you gain the habits and the fitness level that will help you to attain your fitness goals in your 30s...40s...etc...
    When I say fitness, I'm not saying you have to be an athlete, just get out there and make your heart pump and your muscles work - because the more you do for your body, it will reward you.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I agree with tech_kitten as she has covered this pretty well. My own opinion, getting into regular workouts and increasing your activity may be where you find the best benefit. It's not fast and the numbers on the scale may not budge, but you'll lose inches and the belly you don't like while improving your overall fitness.
  • mmargarette
    mmargarette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Exactly, the freshman 15! I'm the only one who got it among my friends too :(
    I was sort of athletic back in high school too being in the tennis team.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll still keep up with working out and proper eating :)
  • minibandit
    Options
    I gained weight at Uni - I went from being a tiny little thing to being overweight for the first time in my life...and have struggled ever since so it's good that you are tackling it now. What I did was keep my diet the same but, my activity went from running a farm morning and evening (animals only) and working in a hospice with the dying during the day to constantly sitting in a classroom/lecture theater.

I didn't have the sense and knowledge to adjust, like you I just thought I would remain the same. The positive thing here is you know it and can address it :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You're 19. I don't think the "getting older" thing applies yet. Your eating habits and food availability changed, that's all. The good news is...you're aware of it and its totally fixable.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's not your age. You're just eating too much and moving too little. I'm 34 and still don't find it harder to lose weight than in my early 20s.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You can try to justify your weight gain any way you like but you gain weight when you consume more calories than you expend. It's as simple as that.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me, except I was already overweight... the access to unlimited amounts of food took me close to "obese." But I've lost more than my freshman fifteen in the past few months, and continuing to lose. There's hope!
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    IMHO, at your age and weight, I wouldn't focus as much on the scale. I think you'd be better off focusing on eating healthier and setting fitness goals. You're still pretty young so your body may change over the next few years and the scale is just a number. Look at your body composition and try to work on the areas that bother you. When I was just out of college, my GF fluctuated between 115-120 at 5'3" and I don't think there was an ounce of fat on her.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're probably less active too. The 'getting older' thing doesn't really apply at 19...
  • fificrazy
    Options
    Actually, the getting older thing does apply, but not in sense that your metabolism is slowing down; rather your body is continually changing until you're 25!

Height tapers at 16-18 years old, but your skeleton is literally expanding right now! Your ribcage, your hips, etc.
    And yes, is IS happening to everyone and, contrary to popular belief, this "Freshmen 15" it's less about lifestyle choices and more about your developing bone ad muscle mass.