Ladies - advice controlling pre-menstrual food cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I just eat what I'm craving. It's simpler than trying to avoid it and end up drinking so much water I'm sick or "healthier" foods that rack up twice as many calories as what I wanted to begin with.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I have the same question - I am suffering today. Just ordered fish and chip. Oops.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I'm dealing with this right now actually! I go out and exercise or if it's too late in the evening, I try to go to sleep (it's really hard for me to sleep so I need every minute I can get). I drink a lot of hot tea and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS reserve a small dessert for myself to enjoy at the end of the day with my tea and a nice book to unwind.

I don't do deprivation and if that Reese's PB heart or 2 pieces of Ghiradelli is what it takes to keep me on track, then I'm gonna do it and build it into my day. :) Good luck and you're welcome to friend me if you want.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Don't have junk food that you like in the house... lol I buy my kids those Little Debbie cakes with the cherry filling because I know I don't like them so I won't eat them...
  • phantomjam
    phantomjam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have the same question - I am suffering today. Just ordered fish and chip. Oops.

You shouldn't feel any guilt. That's actually a good choice. Protein, healthy fats and some starch for energy. Just add some fibrous veggies and see how it works.
  • asprettyasme
    Options
    If you are losing blood, then that means you need to eat more. You should eat more before and doing your period because you don't want to be malnourished doing these body changing times. The week before your period, your body is prepping itself because it knows you're going to lose blood. Instead of not listening to what your body is telling you, you should make amends with it.

Try buying a ton of fruit (or even raw veggies) doing these times and every time you get hungry or think about food, eat the fruit until you feel full. So if you bought grapes, start munching on grapes until you feel satisfied. This should help your appetite but the great thing about fruit is that fruit has so little calories that you don't have to feel too concerned about eating too much.

You can also try peanuts to stop craving but that's if you have self control. You can also get rid of the junk food in your house. Out of sight, out of mind. Or you can use liquids to stop your craving if you prefer them. I usually drink a glass of chocolate milk or a warm cup of caffeine free tea to stop cravings.
  • Black_Coffee88
    Options
    Not much help, but I get it while I'm on my period, and I always crave the fattiest foods I can think of. I could have burgers with all the works for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks on those days. :ohwell:
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options

You shouldn't feel any guilt. That's actually a good choice. Protein, healthy fats and some starch for energy. Just add some fibrous veggies and see how it works.

I am having a salad with it, :)

I will try not to feel guilty!
  • phantomjam
    Options
    If you are losing blood, then that means you need to eat more. You should eat more before and doing your period because you don't want to be malnourished doing these body changing times. The week before your period, your body is prepping itself because it knows you're going to lose blood. Instead of not listening to what your body is telling you, you should make amends with it.

This is good sense.
    Try buying a ton of fruit (or even raw veggies) doing these times <snip>

Fruit is good too but be careful and not eat too many. They can set you up for cravings. Later on you mention, peanut butter. Now, if you put some peanut butter on an apple (instead of a cracker). The combination of the proteins, fat, fibre and micronutrients may calm your cravings better than if you ate them at separate times.
    I usually drink a glass of chocolate milk <snip>

Oh yeah! This works. The magnesium in the chocolate is amazing and milk is loaded with nutrients in the right combos. It's very satisfying. I would suggest making your own using unsweetened cocoa, dark brown sugar and milk. This way you have more control over the calories and dark brown sugar has a richer flavour than white so you can use less. However, with this one it's wise to have one serving for the day and no more because it does have quite a few calories.

Also, the cruciferous vegetable, broccoli, cabbage, bok choy, brussel sprouts and so on will help PMS symptoms too. The trick is to eat things in combination. A plate load of cabbage is not going to make you feel better.
  • starkitty4
    starkitty4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always crave dairy at that time, especially cheese, but if I have it my cramps get crazy painfully so I try and ignore the craving or only have the tiniest bit of bread and butter to ease the craving a bit
  • phantomjam
    Options
    I always crave dairy at that time, especially cheese, but if I have it my cramps get crazy painfully so I try and ignore the craving or only have the tiniest bit of bread and butter to ease the craving a bit

Your body probably needs the calcium from the dairy but dairy is high in a type of fat that increases prostaglandin production, leading to stronger contractions of the uterus and more pain. The oils in fatty fish on the other hand counteract this.

Instead, if you choose to have sardines, they are also high in Calcium (chew the bones). Lots of people don't like sardines but they can be good. Try them broiled with salt and pepper or squeeze lemon juice on them or make a tomato sauce. If you can get smoked herring in your country then that's amazing in tomato sauce, though very high in sodium.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options

I am having a salad with it, :)

I will try not to feel guilty!

Don't feel guilty! I have lost weight eating fish and chips. Salad is a nice idea. Also up your daily calories a little for today, take a walk, and enjoy.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Same boat!
    I eat what I normally eat and I feel HUNGRY all the time. Not craving, but seriously hungry, stomach growling, weakness in my knees- the whole 9-yard.

I don't know why, but red meat helps me during those days. Maybe I need a certain nutrient.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Try buying a ton of fruit (or even raw veggies) doing these times and every time you get hungry or think about food, eat the fruit until you feel full. So if you bought grapes, start munching on grapes until you feel satisfied. This should help your appetite but the great thing about fruit is that fruit has so little calories that you don't have to feel too concerned about eating too much.

You can also try peanuts to stop craving but that's if you have self control. You can also get rid of the junk food in your house. Out of sight, out of mind. Or you can use liquids to stop your craving if you prefer them. I usually drink a glass of chocolate milk or a warm cup of caffeine free tea to stop cravings.
    This makes sense:) Thanks for sharing:)
  • everstraete
    everstraete Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm totally on the give into the cravings train. I have specific foods I generally crave during my period and so in the mornings I immediately add everything that sounds delicious (dark chocolate, ice cream, salty snacks, fried foods, lattes with piles of flavorings and soda, etc) and then evaluate how many calories that is going to be and then evaluate. Usually I can't fit everything into my calorie goal, especially since I like to be in the realm of the macros at least marginally so I chose the most "important" ones to me and plan my meals accordingly.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Just tried protein shakes with Stevia during the day and had a seafood pocket with tons of veggies and I feel full.