Having difficulty dropping weight.

Options
Just want to start by introducing myself since I am new on this site. My name is Draupadi Ishaya and I believe I have an undiagnosed hypo thyroid condition. It doesn't really show up on blood tests except for my free t3 being a little on the high side and I have a nodule on my thyroid which is not cancerous. I also have all the classic symptoms and can not loose wt. unless I go under 500 calories a day. I've had difficultly with this for the last 8 years. I am a former Personal Trainer for about 17 years so trust me when I say I know what I am doing..., I have tried everything. More exercise, more and less calories, I am very consistent with dieting when I'm on a wt lose diet. I know what it takes for my body to loose wt. as before I started having difficultly I was able to loose wt. on a 1200 to 1500cal. diet without any issues. I have done my own research into hypo thyroid and am treating it with natural hormones and taking other supplements to support it. I have recently lost 18 lbs started back in November. It's been a struggle and I've literally had to drop below 500 cal a day. I tired of not being able to eat a normal wt lose diet and am now trying the only thing that I haven't tried. Adding more fat through the Atkins diet. I'm not sure if this will work either if I have low thyroid function??? Does anyone else have this issue..., please help.

Replies

• OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What's best is to have lots of fiber in your diet, add green tea, drink lots of water, and try yoga. Yoga may sound silly but there are different types of yoga that help with hormone gland functions and it may help your body get into a rhythm where you can lose weight again. My mother has no thyroid because her thyroid condition turned into cancer and Atkins helps her a lot. I only advise Atkins if you can gradually add back in carbs, but complex carbs with high fiber content.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Have they considered Hashimoto's? Not just hypo.
  • Joyfullmonk
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, it's nice to know that it has worked for other people that is hypo. I also am a yoga teacher so I already do Yoga (Ashtanga Yoga) 4 times per week. After I get the weight off I plan on going back to a regular healthy diet minus white floor and sugar. That's again.
  • ayumi_
    ayumi_ Posts: 50
    Options
    How much do you eat when you're not trying to lose weight?

& what is your current weight and height?
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    See an endocrinologist.

You can't live on 500 cals a day for very long no matter how big you are.

See an endocrinologist.
  • mwa2801
    Options
    Drink plenty of water. It is fuel for fat burning. Also, 500 calories a day isn't going to help you. You will get burned out, plus it isn't healthy. Last but not least, you won't lose weight on 500 for a prolong period of time. You are much better off consuming about 1500 calories (give or take depending on weight) and do exercise. I've been walking, drinking plenty of water and eatting about 1600 calories and am losing weight. I too once thought I had a thyroid problem. Most people who think they have a thyroid problem , don't. I am NOT a medical doctor and you should consult a doctor for professional advice, however the advice I give is what I've learned. Good luck!