Worried about fruits and vegetables due to drought?

Options
I am very worried about getting fresh produce this coming year thanks to the drought. A lot of growers in California have not even planted and are not going to plant crops this year. Sounds like major price increases are coming and supply will be in high demand.

I believe I will extend the size of my garden this year and grow some things I have not normally grown to help out a bit.

Replies

• toomanireasons
    Options
    I would love to be growing some veggies of my own, but I rent and my back yard has mostly shade, I will need the shade in the summer when the AC bill is so high. I am looking for a way to plant something, even tomatoes and cuc's.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My plan is to buy seasonal and local. I will get what I can for the best price I can get and figure out what to make. I love experimenting with new vegetables. I live in NY so if all else fails the black dirt onion farms should have a good year with all this snow. I'll live on onions. :laugh:
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I would love to be growing some veggies of my own, but I rent and my back yard has mostly shade, I will need the shade in the summer when the AC bill is so high. I am looking for a way to plant something, even tomatoes and cuc's.

do you have community gardens in your area? they are great! you dont have grow a wide variety of foods (specially zucchini) cause someones always trying to give you tons of their crops.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Maybe stock up on frozen and canned fruits/veggies while they're cheap?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Buy seasonal - Buy Frozen - there are a lot of veg that do well in container gardens you could grow some of your own just for daily use.

I am thankful, I was talking to my uncle who usually grows a huge garden and when I told him I was going to do some raised gardens in my back yard this year he said "come and help me in mine" so that will be a bonus for me - I will be able to stock up my freezer before next winter.
  • knra_grl
    Options

do you have community gardens in your area? they are great! you dont have grow a wide variety of foods (specially zucchini) cause someones always trying to give you tons of their crops.

That would be a great idea - especially if you can hook up with a couple other people and plan to plant different things and barter with each other :flowerforyou:
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Maybe stock up on frozen and canned fruits/veggies while they're cheap?

Good idea. I hate the idea of eating frozen, but I suppose I should stock up and be prepared.

I will grow as much as I can this year in my own garden (tomato, onion, radish, lettuce, cucumber, pepper, strawberry, herbs, etc...) and of course attend the farmer's market every week to buy local. But living in Iowa - there are many fruits and vegetables that we can't get grow or get here due to our climate, soil, etc... . Anything that is grown out west is going to sky rocket in price and cause quite a bit of inflation in food prices this year (just like meat is now). We usually can over a 100 jars of tomato sauce from our garden every year which gets us by pretty well for the year.
  • knra_grl
    Options

Good idea. I hate the idea of eating frozen, but I suppose I should stock up and be prepared.

Frozen veg pack a lot of nutrients - they are picked when ripened and immediately processed rather than picked green - our fresh veg that we buy at the supermarkets are picked green so they will last the shipping/storage process
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Join here...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13827-growing-vegetables

And we'll help you grow what you wish to grow.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    A drought in the US of A. Hahah. Somehow I think we'll just import the heck out of what we want. Aren't many fruits and veggies imported already?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    A drought in the US of A. Hahah. Somehow I think we'll just import the heck out of what we want. Aren't many fruits and veggies imported already?

Yes, but the southern hemisphere will be having winter when it is summer in the US of A. Although we are importing like crazy from them right now, that is about to dry up as their growing season is about over. It's kind of hard to import something that is not in growing season. ;-)

Hence the big coverage on the news channels about the upcoming problems here in the states for fruits and vegetables come summer.