How do you recover after a binge?

Options
2»

Replies

• RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Plan better. When I overeat, I redouble my efforts to only eat what I should. Prelog all my food for the day and stick to it. Otherwise, just eat normal. But with better planning.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    Modest amounts of cardio followed with lots of water for a day or two while not overcompensating diet wise (I.e eating like only 500kcals a day for a few days). The stomach pain, cramping, diarrhea, and especially the fluid retention is what helps remind me not to go A-wall on binges...my binge food of choice would be an entire jar of coconut mana (that's 15 oz. of nearly pure saturated fat goodness!)

Word to the wise, for cheat foods, try to only keep or store small, modest quantities on hand for when you do feel like "cheating"; rewards every now and then are perfectly healthy mostly for keeping sanity whilst dieting long term.
  • popshoveit
    Options
    Wine sometimes does it to me too. Alcohol makes me hungry, and makes me more likely to think "well I ate 200 cals over my limit so I might as well just EAT THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF MY PANTRY AND SEND MY HUSBAND TO THE GROCERY STORE FOR A CHOCOLATE CAKE" (I have really done this, on several occasions) so I have to make sure that if I am drinking I have already factored that into my day, calorie-wise, and know that I have healthy food on hand for a snack later on.

What I tend to do is just make sure the next few days are really good days with a lot of water and exercise. As long as I'm eating enough and I'm satisfied with a few small pleasurable things (a small chocolate candy etc) I do fine. In fact that's normally how I eat. It's just certain things tend to open the floodgates - alcohol, or visiting my parents, being anywhere else (like at the cottage for a week, yikes!) so know what your triggers are and work on them.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    did you binge because you are restricting yourself too much and you are not going to be able to stick to it? 1200 calories is pretty low, many people find it difficult, I upped my caloric intake from 1200 after a couple weeks because it was too hard to stick to unless I exercised a ton every day.

better to have a plan to lose weight gradually that you can stick with than one that is not realistic and that results in you going off it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Normal day the next day. I've never made myself sick from eating too much though!
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    did you binge because you are restricting yourself too much and you are not going to be able to stick to it? 1200 calories is pretty low, many people find it difficult, I upped my caloric intake from 1200 after a couple weeks because it was too hard to stick to unless I exercised a ton every day.

better to have a plan to lose weight gradually that you can stick with than one that is not realistic and that results in you going off it.

For me 1200 calories has been incredibly easy to maintain and my doctor does not disapprove. My binge was an emotional response to some crappy events that occurred this week. My brain is still conditioned to drink alcohol and eat crap when things get bad. I just need to retrain my brain... I was doing very well the past two months.
  • charlicee
    Options
    Move on and try to be careful in the future. An occasional binge is good, gets the metabolism going actually.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Forget about it and move on!!!!
    :drinker: