Salad Dressing Recipes - Shameless Solicitation

Options
I prefer a well dressed and accessorized salad and like homemade salad dressing rather than the bottled store bought dressings. Recipes...Please? I will start with my favorite and hope the community will add to my collection.

Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing

2 tbls honey (more or less to taste)
1/4 cup lime juice, fresh or bottled
1/4 cup oil, I use canola in this one
2 tbls white wine vinegar
water to equal 1 cup total
2 tbls fresh cilantro or cilantro paste or 2 tsp dried

Mix, chill and use. Around 70 cals for 2 tbls on salad

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Creamy Mexican salad dressing

Equal parts low fat cottage cheese and Pace medium picante. Blend. I use 1/2c cottage cheese and 1/2c pace. 130 calories for whole cup!! I think I have also used low fat sour cream as well
  • katoftheyear
    Options
    I'm very partial to a simple sweet/sour vinaigrette dressing which is usually about a tablespoon of sugar or honey (flavourful honey works best of all) and maybe a third to half cup of white vinegar -- I think rice vinegar or sherry or something like that would probably work fine but I like to be able to taste the honey. Then about maybe a third cup of oil, a half tablespoon dijon mustard, blendy blend... perfect. It's great on cabbage slaw and insanely good on a leafy salad with sliced apples, dried cranberries, and a little blue cheese.

I also like a tofu caesar dressing, and you could probably find a ton of recipes online for that kind of thing, but for me it's about a third cup tofu crumbles and a half cup of plain yogurt (you can use nonfat, the point is this thins it out so greek yog wouldn't be ideal here) and a clove of garlic, some mustard, and enough lemon juice until this gets to tangy gorgeous dressing territory. (About one big lemon worth). [ETA: also some oil -- not much, maybe a tablespoon will help get this really silky.] If you have any nutritional yeast on hand that's a nice addition for the cheesy taste but not necessary. I like this one with romaine, cucumbers, and "bacon" croutons (bread cubes toasted in oven with a mix of oil and liquid smoke, seasoned with salt+pepper). This gets better in the fridge throughout the week so it's great to make a little jar of it and use it on lunches or speedy side salads -- esp. if you have a container of those croutons ready to go. :)

can't wait to see what other people come up with! your lime dressing sounds amazing. Now I want to try it on a quinoa salad! :o
  • gladhelen
    gladhelen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My staple is Skinnytaste Blue Cheese Dressing! http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/low-fat-creamy-blue-cheese-dressing.html

I love it with baked spicy sweet potato fries, some spinach, red onion and cherry tomatoes!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    If I want creammy (but not low fat) I take 1/2 C buttermilk, 1 C sour cream and toss it in the food processor with dill, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, chives, and sage.

I normally just mix 1 Tbsp GOOD olive oil with 3 tsp garlic infused red wine vinegar.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I make a dressing using 2 tbsp mustard, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp honey, and 4 tbsp white wine vinegar. ~200 calories for the ingredients listed, or 50 calories per serving.

Newman's Own Sesame Ginger dressing is the best store-bought dressing to ever exist and the only one I will buy.

---

This salad is wonderful, and the dressing is very complementary:

Stolen from Andie: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2013/07/09/pistachio-peach-salad-with-honey-vinaigrette/

photo-42-1.jpg

Pistachio Peach Salad with Honey Vinaigrette

For the honey vinaigrette:
    ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons honey
    ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
    pinch each of salt and pepper

For the salad:
    5 ounces spring mix (or any baby greens you like)
    3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (3/4 cup)
    2 ounces shelled pistachios (about ½ cup)
    2 ripe peaches, pitted and thinly sliced
    12 ounces grilled chicken, thinly sliced (about 2 standard-sized breasts)

Instructions

In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and honey. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking constantly, followed by the salt and pepper, and continue whisking until well combined.
    In a large bowl, toss the spring mix, goat cheese, and pistachios. Add the dressing and toss to coat. To serve, divide the salad among four plates or bowls. Distribute the peaches and chicken evenly among the salads. Serve immediately.

Notes

Nutrition Information for 1 Serving (1/4th of Entire Recipe): Calories 450, Total Fat 28.7 g, Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g, Dietary Fiber 4.2 g, Sugars 15.2 g, Protein 27.7 g
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like to mix dijon mustard with honey, acv, and black pepper. No measurement here, I just do it to taste.
    Avocado mixed with greek yogurt is good, or a cup of greek yogurt and dry soup/dip mix, any flavor. I also like picante/salsa instead of salad dressing.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Yummy ideas!

Greek yogurt thinned with a little water and lots of fresh or dried dill.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My 3 usual go to recipes are

French style: olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard, salt
    Pomegranate: pomegranate molasses, olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt
    Yoghurt: plain yoghurt, olive oil, mint, salt

Usually I use around 1teaspoon oil, then mix the other ingredients to taste. Sorry no exact recipes here. I'd also say that sherry vinegar and balsamic are good to throw into the mix for a change. Plus sometimes I add garlic or herbs. Salt is essential to make the oil mix with the other ingredients, but you only need a pinch.

I also like seafood sauce made with home made mayo, ketchup, mustard. But a bit too much fath for a normal day so I only have occasionally :)
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love this dressing! I use it in my salads everyday.

Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
    *Keep refrigerated

This dressing is great with chopped kale salads, for marinades or in chicken wraps
    - ¼ cup White Rice Vinegar (I use Apple Cider Vinegar)
    - 2 Tbs. Olive Oil
    - 2 Tbs. Plain Greek Yogurt
    - 1 Tbs. Honey
    - 1 Fresh Lemon, squeezed
    - 2 tsp. Poppy Seeds
    - 1 tsp. Sea Salt
    - 2 small packets Stevia
  • hatterasclayer
    hatterasclayer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Asian Sesame Dressing

4 T. rice vinegar
    2 T. soy sauce
    2 t. fresh ginger (or 1 t. ginger powder)
    2 t. sesame oil
    1 clove garlic, peeled (use a small clove, or half of a large clove)
    1 T. honey
    2/3 C. olive oil

1. Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Chill before serving.

This is easy to make in a magic bullet rather then a blender, I'm no Paul Newman, but it's tasty!
  • cadyhouse
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great ideas! I will try all of them.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    One part red wine vinegar
    Three parts olive oil
    Garlic, pepper, red pepper, chili powder, paprika. Or honestly whatever spices I feel like at the time. The only two that consistently make it in there are garlic and pepper. The rest change from time to time.
  • mommy3ISA
    Options
    A little olive oil and vinegar touch of salt and oregano ... Or fresh lemon and a little olive oil I always add oregano and skittle st to homemade salads
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    bookmarking!
  • mommy3ISA
    Options
    A little olive oil and vinegar touch of salt and oregano ... Or fresh lemon and a little olive oil I always add oregano and a little salt to homemade salads
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I prefer olive oil and vinaigrette dressings with lots of herbs. I found out that by adding high quality juice (like pomegranate) 50% vinaigrette and 50% juice , I cut the calories almost in half and it still tastes delicious.

I also make sesame green godess dressing.
    I C low fat plain yogurt
    1/4 C olive oil
    1/4 C lemon juice
    1/4 C sesame seeds (or tahini)
    1/4 C finely chopped parsley
    1 clove garlic
    1 Tbl anchovies or fish sauce
    1 Tbl sugar
    1 Tbl tarragon
    1/2 tsp mineral salt
    1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    blend till smooth. Tastes best after a few hours. You can add more of any of the above flavors according to preference. This is a fairly low fat, low calorie version.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    book marked to check tomorrow
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump...
  • missyahall2
    missyahall2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PrairieSlims
    PrairieSlims Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! Can hardly wait to try them.