Diet Isolation- Help!

Options
So, I don't know if anyone else has this issue. I'm about a month and a half in and I've done well (down 15 lbs and a size) but I'm getting discouraged. It seems like even now this is taking so much of my time, especially from my family (more specifically my 1 year old). Between planning and packing meals and exersize, I feel like I'm on my own. Even the people I joined MFP with either dropped off or have alot going on. At nights, most of the time I fix myself something different from my husband and going out to eat is a trial, especially if I don't have time to work out that day. I know it's worth it and I have a long way to go, but I'm feeling a bit isolated and cut-off from everything.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• ariellespiller
    Options
    You're in good company! Having done the substantial weight loss thing now THREE times in my adult life, it is really easy to get discouraged. Is there any way you can start making your family eat some/most of the foods that you eat yourself? If you can share a vegetable dish with them, you'll only have to make them a separate entree. One thing I'm trying to do is restrict myself to the salad/soup menu anytime we go out to eat. One thing I've found is that salads are harder to eat, so not only are you eating diet-friendly foods, but also you might not even finish your salad because it takes so long. At least it does for me! Also, maybe one or two days a week skip the gym and go for a brisk walk with your toddler in the stroller. My kids loved that.
    Good luck. This is totally cliche, but I've heard that being healthy is the best gift you can give to your family. Not only are you in better shape to keep up with them, but think of the example you're setting every time you serve delicious and healthy food to your children.
    :flowerforyou:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I agree - do NOT get started going down the - I will make eveyone something different road! Also, planning meals gets a lot easier. And keep a lot of easy things on hand for those busy nights.

ie, a can of chicken, a can of mixed or frozen veggies, stir fry in some white wine or a little oil and some garlic. Crack in an egg if you'd like. Serve over rice. Literally a 5 minute meal and filling and healthy.

Packing lunches shouldn't take more than 5 mins tops a day either. Less if you, ie, get the #5 cans of veggies or fruit and then divvy them up into tuperwares all on one day and then just grab from there. If you eat warm lunch, put your leftovers directly into lunch portion containers and grab and go the next day.

If your husband doesn't want to eat what you are eating he can make something else for himself. That's not your responsibility to cater to all his wants like he is a 2 yr old.
  • adobmeier
    adobmeier Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree it’s so hard...I am only at the end of week 1. I have tried to make my meals easy and have part of my meal included in their meal, I cook for my mom and dad. So if I am having fish I will make it for myself make them a different entree and have the same veggies as them. The other thing I am going to try is freezing stuff in single servings so it takes less time to prepare my meal.
    Going out is tough but doable! You just have to make smart choices and have will power, I struggle at not eating the bread! If you have the time to look up the calories do that, if not when your there you can ask for the nutrition listing most places having them. Your right it will be worth it! Look how far you have already come! You give me hope! Good luck!