'bad food' within your calorie allowance ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Lots of good answers here some not so necessary.. In laymans terms,,, First of all Food is Food !! Don't get confused with stuff like 80::20 or 90::10.. Eat what ever you want in moderation.. Remember what a lot of responses were about empty calories.. This is important because even though you can eat 500 calories of chocolate, you don't want to because you won't have enough calories left to eat enough healthy foods to maintain your body so that you can operate as you should throughout the day. So if you desire, for example chocolate every day, have a small piece that will satisfy that desire. Although you should eventually change your habits so this is not a daily thing.. This way if you wait, then when you do have it, it should be more enjoyable.. This goes with any kind of "so called" junk food. So enjoy what you want, but make your goal be to eat healthy.. Remember anything in moderation means In Moderation !! Enjoy and strive to eat and be healthy !
  • sifiso
    sifiso Posts: 21
    Options
    Wow that's a lot of great responses from everyone - thank you :)
    Tbh I think I'm giving up on this and trying to find excuses but I just have to remember why I started I suppose. I might just say I can have a chocolate treat once a week and a cheat meal once a week (but doesn't make my calories exceed 2000) and have a cheat day Ince a month (doesn't make calories exceed 3000). What do you guys think of this plan ? I just need a way to get back on my routine - I think half term messed me up lol
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you don't like vegetables you just have to make yourself like them. Try them every day for a week or two and you'll see it's not so bad. There's no replacement for them.
  • gypsyone96
    gypsyone96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can as long as you stay within your macros (protein, fat, carbs)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as bad food, just people who eat badly.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a lot of great responses from everyone - thank you :)
    Tbh I think I'm giving up on this and trying to find excuses but I just have to remember why I started I suppose. I might just say I can have a chocolate treat once a week and a cheat meal once a week (but doesn't make my calories exceed 2000) and have a cheat day Ince a month (doesn't make calories exceed 3000). What do you guys think of this plan ? I just need a way to get back on my routine - I think half term messed me up lol
    If you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight. Period.

I personally don't like cheat meals & cheat days. I work yummy, portion controlled treats into my calorie allowance, and log everything I eat accurately & honestly.

But everybody's different, and it will take trial & error to find what works for you. Do not give up.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Food is neither good nor bad. It's true neutral.

Except pizza - that's definitely chaotic good. :wink:
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Eat those things and see what effect it has on you.

then dont eat those things and see what effect it has on you.

thats how you find out.

if it doesn't work for you, then change it.

then see how you feel, and now you will have proven to yourself the answer for you personally.

Some foods have nutrients in your body that you body needs and I would eat those things, rather than spend my food on things that are not as good for the body. why bother eating crap when you can be doing good things for your body.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Food is neither good nor bad. It's true neutral.

Except pizza - that's definitely chaotic good. :wink:

Yes!!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Food is food is food. Some food is better than others, but in the end it's all food. We're not really "supposed" to eat any particular way. Some people might be happier eating clean and limiting the processed food. Others, like me, enjoy indulging in not-so-healthy stuff now and then. As long as it's fitting into your calorie goal, and you feel okay, it's not really a big deal.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think 90% of the people of this board are younger than I, but I've found as I've gotten older that my body just doesn't feel good on just "food".

My body feels best on high nutrient foods: veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean protein sources, healthy fats.
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have come to the conclusion that you have to include the foods that you really enjoy you just have to do it in MODERATION.
  • jayajayajaya
    Options
    I try to stay healthier (it helps that my family is into healthy stuff), but if I'm craving chocolate and won't go over my calorie limit if I eat it, I'll have a little bit. I just need to have a majority of nutrients.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I have come to the conclusion that you have to include the foods that you really enjoy you just have to do it in MODERATION.

^this.

I eat what I want. I don't over do it and I get my time in at the gym.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten "clean" I just hit my macros and stay within my calorie budget. But not today because a friend sent me some fancy chocolates. :love:

eta: I also think it's important to get your fruits/veggies in. I aim for 5 servings per day.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Food is food.

Just aim for a balanced diet as far as your macro and micro-nutrients are concerned and eat what you like.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Ok so I know you are supposed to eat clean and everything which I understand but I was wondering if you can eat bad food such as chocolate and chips as long as you are still under your calorie allowance ? If the answer is no, why?

Whilst I also have you, I don't like vegetable (except sweetcorn, cucumbers and carrots) can I replace my veg intake with fruits ?

Thanks in advance guys

Yes to the first part, and no to the second part. There are vitamins and minerals in veggies you cant get from fruit - like Vitamin K. If you don't like spinach/kale/etc put them in a smoothie to hide the taste. You won't even notice it.
  • chapklc
    chapklc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found healthy chocolate!!

Ingredients:
    "Grinning Coconut" (1oz each) chocolates.. this is my favorite by they have a lot of different ones.
    no idea calories:

Organic raw cacao, organic raw coconut oil, organic raw honey, organic raw shredded coconut, organic raw almond, organic vanilla extract.

Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, No sugar added, Non-gmo, raw, organic, vegetarian, No additives CHOCOLATE! and it tastes so awesome!!

If you live in or near Colorado springs, this is at radiantly raw chocolates downtown.

They are freaking AMAZING!

Gawd, now I really want some chocolate! lol :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    There is no bad food, unless it is going rotten. There are more nutritious and less nutritious foods, with the more nutritious ones generally providing what is needed to keep a person feeling full longer, not to mention providing what the body needs to run well. The so called bad foods tend to only be bad if eaten in excess, especially in a situation where a person eats more calories than they need for the day. Eat whatever you want within your calorie goals seeking to have more stuff be nutrient dense rather than just calorie dense.
  • kellbot1
    kellbot1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Make sure you check your macros before diving into some empty calories.

I used to treat myself to some candy if I made it to the end of my day with leftover calories, but I wasn't paying close attention to my sugar levels and was frequently going WAY over. I was losing weight, but it was very slow. As soon as I got my sugar intake under control I started seeing results a lot faster.

I find that if I eat fruit and veggies I rarely have enough sugar left over for even a mini snickers bar, but I also crave them less.