Flexible dieting/IIFYM myths

Options

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I almost 100% agree.
    I still freak out a little bit over gatherings with food because I don't eat pork and recently started eating red meat again (so the stress is lower now) but I'd worry that there wasnt a chicken/fish option lol

But you wouldn't start a thread about it, all freaking out and such. That would be the difference.

Not at all haha
    I'm an adult.
    Plus my family knows I won't eat pork so there's also an option for me to eat
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    ♡♡♡♡
  • emmabakercooke
    Options
    It's good to know there is a name for it! I never really understood thinking of any food as "bad"
    Food fits in to two catagories for me - food I like, and food I don't!
    I refuse to feel guilty for eating a small amount of something I really enjoy!
    If it fits in your calories and you want it, eat it! :)
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It's great to live in a world where you're not controlled by food.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I'm currently obsessing about the McDonalds I had for lunch and the cookies that are cooling on the counter for a potluck tomorrow.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Cheers <3
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a very healthy (physically and mentally) approach to food and eating!
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    yea...but... you still have to track your macros, which seems even more labor and time intensive than calories OR just eating clean, most of the time!!
  • jensonabraham
    jensonabraham Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    KBmoments wrote: »
    yea...but... you still have to track your macros, which seems even more labor and time intensive than calories OR just eating clean, most of the time!!

Eating clean does not equate to losing weight. You can eat 3000 calories from nuts, grilled chicken, fruits and veggies, and STILL not get results. You can stall fat loss or can even gain weight (depending on your body's metabolism) from eating clean foods without even tracking how much you are really taking in.

Flexible dieting is just that: if you choose to "eat clean" and if you enjoy eating broccoli and grilled chicken for every meal,, you can incorporate that into IIFYM.

I used to be a religious clean eater and I would justify eating cups of nuts and natural pb at one sitting and telling myself that I can't possibly gain weight because it's "clean". And better yet, who determines the cleanliness of the foods we eat?

I now follow flexible dieting and MFP makes it pretty simple to keep up, it takes about 5 minutes a day to log and see what I am working with. 5 in of planning a day is something I would easily take so that I can have a better relationship with food, eat whatever I want to eat, and enjoy life.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'vwe been IIFYM for a solid year now. I think about food a lot bc I love it and stuff. I'm glad I can have the things I like.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Yeup! <3
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I feel like if I did this I would just eat all day long... :(

This is why you still need to set yourself a calorie limit for the day.

About 80% of the food I eat is what is considered "clean" food.

It is just that I don't feel guilty for the fact that I just ate a piece of bread with my lunch. :P
    Clean as in you wash it all before you eat it?

SMH, clean is such a stupid word in the food sense, and people need to stop using it.

Flexible dieting FTW!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! I do actually think about food MORE than before I became fit. However, it is a good thing.

I've improved my culinary skills (previously terrified of the kitchen), found ways to cut down the food budget, try new and interesting recipes, and increase the tastiness and satisfaction of my food creations (and the hubby and kids give it a big THUMBS UP, too).

IIFYM is why I (and my family) CAN have nice (food) things, and be fit and healthy!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Is this still a hot discussion? It seems that the more strident extremes of this debate have mostly calmed down.

I really don't see a huge difference between this and reasonable "clean eating", given IIFYM's macronutrient mindfulness. Is it at all possible to stay on track for fibre, protein and fat and NOT eat veg, meat (or I guess beans/legumes), and "good" fats? I can't imagine a menu that does that that isn't "clean" to some extent.

(I think when most people talk about "clean" eating, they usually mean something like more fruit and veg and whole grains. Home-cooked food. Seeing as that kind of stuff helps out with micronutrients, I don't really see a problem with it (though I also don't have a problem with frozen pizza, except for trans fats). )

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    True except the thinking about food part. I still think about food all the time... always have.

Ditto :)

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Is this still a hot discussion? It seems that the more strident extremes of this debate have mostly calmed down.

I really don't see a huge difference between this and reasonable "clean eating", given IIFYM's macronutrient mindfulness. Is it at all possible to stay on track for fibre, protein and fat and NOT eat veg, meat (or I guess beans/legumes), and "good" fats? I can't imagine a menu that does that that isn't "clean" to some extent.

(I think when most people talk about "clean" eating, they usually mean something like more fruit and veg and whole grains. Home-cooked food. Seeing as that kind of stuff helps out with micronutrients, I don't really see a problem with it (though I also don't have a problem with frozen pizza, except for trans fats). )

I don't think it's such a hot topic but just a zombie.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

in...because there are always a few...

so figuring out what foods are clean is easier than tracking macros? I find that interesting as most clean eating types do back flips trying to figure out what they can and cannot eat...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you must be new here...

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

I don't think it's such a hot topic but just a zombie.

Lol aha ok :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

How is using MFP to track my macros hard? They (macros) are listed right on any package, on every food entry in the database, etc. "More labor intensive" than what?