121 lbs LOST - 87 to go!!!

Options
I haven't always had a weight problem. I didn't start gaining weight until my 10th grade year of High school... But i was in total denial that I was HEAVY... Even when I had to start shopping in the Plus size section.... It wasn't until 3 Years ago, I reached my highest weight at 398 lbs and my doctor told me i was going to DIE if I didn't do something! and You can only imagine the strain all that weight put on my 5 foot frame. I was prompted to go to my doctor because my family and friends soon showed concern about my weight. Funny thing is, the same people who were coming down on me about my weight are now the same people who don't agree with the fact I am loosing another 87 lbs... And that's just my short term goal....My Long Term goal is to reach 150 lbs and maintain!

I remember I couldn't even sit in a chair at work that had arms on it. Walking from my kitchen to my bedroom made my body ache. I remember i use to blame it on "maybe im getting sick?" I use to sit at my desk at work snacking on chips, candy, sodas and I ate fast food 7 days a week. I was in a (TIGHT) size 28 and sometimes would just wear sweats because I was just too big to fit into anything else. Going to an amusement park was out the question! I knew I had to do something to make a change...

I see a lot of people who post about losing LOTS of weight in a little bit of time but that's not the case with me... It took me almost a year and a half to lose 50 lbs. I can honestly say I wasn't totally motivated about changing my eating habits and exercise was out the question (at first)! I had to figure out what triggered my over eating... Emotions? Boredom? Dining out with others? And come to find out it was a mixture of all of these things. So, I changed my mind about how i saw food.... Then when I saw I lost 50 lbs, that was all the motivation i needed. After that I lost my next 50 lbs in 6 months... I was down 100 lbs in 2 years and I was amazed.... BUT i got too comfortable and for the next year I lost 0 lbs! Yeah, I didn't gain any but i was stuck at 298 lbs..

Jan 2014 i rejoined MFP and I'm already down 21 lbs. I get asked a lot about weight loss secrets... I would have never imagined I would be asked those questions! LOL!!! all i can say is Hard work, dedication, determination, and doing what works for YOU ! I committed myself to changing! I started off making small changes like not eating after 8pm, drinking more water, eating every 2-3 hours, and cutting out a lot of fast food. Then i moved to portion control. I use to be TOTALLY AGAINST Fat free, low fat, low cal ANYTHING... I just didn't like the IDEA that the food would possibly taste like DIET FOOD (as i called it).... but my attitude soon changed when I saw the taste was basically the same and for the same amount I was use to eating, FAT FREE usually meant the calories were cut in half OR even more!

Currently, I have cut out my carbs about 75%-80%, Cut out most fast food or eating out and if i do, I make SMARTER choices. I now snack on Almonds, Celery, Carrots and cucumbers... When i get a sugar craving, I just get a tablespoon of peanut butter and add it too my mutli-grain crackers or eat some grapes or Yogurt. I don't feel deprived at all, and yes of course I miss a lot of food I use to eat, BUT i do not miss those extra 121 lbs!!! I still have a little treat here or there but for the most part, I've adapted a new, healthier lifestyle.

My new challenge is to Exercise more and tone. I have a lot of excess skin from losing weight... SO that's what im working on now and I know i will succeed!

If i feel like i'm going to have a slip up I say: FAT LAST LONGER THAN FLAVOR!

Feel free to add me if you are looking for MOTIVATED, ACTIVE AND UPLIFTING MFP FRIENDS!!!

H4w82h4.jpg

m5l2ypr.jpg

21874701.png

Replies

• miya265
    miya265 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats on ur weight loss journey!!! All the best for the rest of it.wonderful job!
  • iampurebeautie
    iampurebeautie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thank you :-) Good luck on your journey as well!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Really impressive hard work! You'll get there!
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Amazing loss, congrats on a job well done!!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I especially love the idea that fat lasts longer than flavor. I say that as I am snacking on raw cookie dough and hating myself a little. I lost 70 pounds and have put 35-40 back on. I am in my work out clothes but not following the food behaviors I know I need to so that I can lose again. I better go work out before I go back into the kitchen. Keep up the hard work and thanks for the saying about fat and flavor. It's going to be my new mantra! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • emcgee68
    Options
    Great job! Very inspiring! I too love the fat/flavor saying. Is there any favorite recipes that have helped you on your journey. I get tired of the same old boring meals week after week. Keep up the good work!
  • iampurebeautie
    Options
    Mmmm... oh how i love cookie dough! LOL, but thank you... I say that to myself everytimeeee i feel myself about to make a "bad" choice... For example, My office manager brought in Dunkin Donuts today... I looked at the donuts. I stood up at the boxes for a good 5 minutes. Then i turned around and enjoyed my low fat Vanilla Yogurt. The entire time i stood at those donuts I was mumbling "fat last longer than flavor" :-) Good luck on your journey!
  • iampurebeautie
    Options
    Great job! Very inspiring! I too love the fat/flavor saying. Is there any favorite recipes that have helped you on your journey. I get tired of the same old boring meals week after week. Keep up the good work!

I will have to get back to you on an actual recipe... I pretty much cook the same way i use to but i replaced everything with Fat free, Low fat, Low cal or low/no sodium items. My big thing is to add a salad to any meal... I mean just a simple spinach or spring mix salad with fat free dressing... homemade is good too... I always end up eating a FULL salad then a 1/2 of meal... then i can take the rest to work the next day... but promise ill post up a recipe i think is worth it lol
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... oh how i love cookie dough! LOL, but thank you... I say that to myself everytimeeee i feel myself about to make a "bad" choice... For example, My office manager brought in Dunkin Donuts today... I looked at the donuts. I stood up at the boxes for a good 5 minutes. Then i turned around and enjoyed my low fat Vanilla Yogurt. The entire time i stood at those donuts I was mumbling "fat last longer than flavor" :-) Good luck on your journey!

Thank-you for sharing this! I have about a 50/50 track record for walking away from treats and foods that I don't feel support my current weight loss goals. It's nice to see someone else facing these issues and walking away. Great job on your loss and for staying focused! :flowerforyou:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Keep it up! :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Amazing Progress,well done!
  • FierceKitten138
    Options
    Way to go!
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Great work
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! All of your hard work and tenacity have paid off!:flowerforyou: .
  • itzehoe
    itzehoe Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    AMAZING - WOW!!!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS to you - you are so inspirational & motivational!!
  • sjkduke
    Options
    Congrats! That is so awesome!
  • angelycar
    angelycar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing,yo so right,the fats last much longer than the flavour,I will remember that the next time I want to wolf down cake or chocolate. ..
  • emilyasdf
    emilyasdf Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    WOW! 121! That's amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!