Counting/measuring food

Options
Hi!
I lost a significant amount of weight over a year ago. My discipline slacked in the last few months (I also was not eating enough while I was losing the initial weight) and I have gained 15 lbs. I got really tired of counting calories and measuring EVERYTHING. Can anyone offer advice on how to overcome this...other than just kicking your own behind ;) I want to just lose about 10 and continue to gain strength and also speed up my race pace for upcoming races. But, my big picture goal is to become stronger at maintaining and see if there are ways to conquer this without the measuring and counting.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You just do it. I don't enjoy brushing my teeth either, but I have to do it. For me logging food and exercising is the same thing.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You just do it. I don't enjoy brushing my teeth either, but I have to do it. For me logging food and exercising is the same thing.

I was going to say the same thing, only about wiping my @ss :laugh:

It's not FUN, but it's the best/cheapest/most efficient/sustainable way of losing and maintaining weight. Suck it up. We all have to, no one's special.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've seen some people ease up on counting calories, but I'd say if doing that, I'd probably still want to weigh in regularly every 1-2 weeks and start tracking once I went outside of my goal range (for me that's about 5 pounds, for others it might be more.). So even then, there's likely still some need to monitor in the long term. We can't have it both ways. Discipline and staying at a certain weight go hand in hand.

So to be honest, I'm not sure if there's a way around it. I'm used to measuring for recipes so measuring food is pretty second nature.
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    I'm on a calorie controlled plan and I have to measure and weigh. It isn't difficult if you keep your measuring stuff handy! You get used to it. Some times I can very accurately judge a Tablespoon of something! I try to measure the really high calorie things though.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    One of the ways that I manage is to measure out all the portions of things when I make them and store individual servings in snack bags or Ziplock containers. Then I don't have to measure stuff every day. I have also purchased some extra measuring cups for things like granola that I eat every day. I just keep the 1/3 cup right in the granola bin.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think you could maintain without counting and measuring every single thing that goes in your mouth if you eat the same foods very regularly and only count calories for meals that are out of your normal eating pattern. For example, if you eat the same breakfast and snacks every day and rotate through lunches and dinners that you already know the calorie count for. You have measured/weighed/counted those meals so many times that you can eyeball it. For meals that are out of the normal, you would have to look those up and make sure you make choices that are within a good calorie range for you (for example, if you want to stay under 600 calories for dinner and 500 calories for lunch because you know that will get your to the right number). But if you are eating different foods every day, it would be hard to figure out calories without counting and measuring everything.
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know it's a forever thing for me, without doing the weighing, measuring and logging I gain weight very quickly and I don't want to do that. I figure I spend about 20 minutes a day weighing and measuring and it is now second nature to me, I can eyeball certain things within a few Grams but can't see the point as I have scales. It is a joke with my friends and family and they always keep labels etc when I'm coming over to eat at theirs.

I would love to eat what I want and not gain weight, but I am realistic and although I do have treats and cheat meals I know what happens when it all slides. If I really want something high in calories I will try and balance it with my exercise to "damage limit" the meal.

I don't believe "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" - I know lots of really yummy foods, but I know that fat is uncomfortable and wrecks my self esteem....
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest this to someone just getting started because calorie counting and weighing and measuring food is a tremendous learning opportunity, but assuming you've "been there, done that" and don't want to go that route again, you might just try trimming your portion sizes a bit and see if that results in shedding 10 pounds over time. Maybe 10 or 20% and see where it takes you?
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i wish i had the answer!!
    sometimes over time i know what a cup looks like, or a serving a meat is. so i dont have to be strict about measuring. thats helps....
    i try not to do this too much in case of over estimating which i also heard can happen over time.
    and logging my food takes about 2 seconds, but im with you on the measuring its does take some effort.

it takes effort to be effortless...
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

It's not FUN, but it's the best/cheapest/most efficient/sustainable way of losing and maintaining weight. Suck it up. We all have to, no one's special.

Bidets are fun.

@OP- You could eat the same things everyday. The stuff you know the measurements of by heart.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Since your overarching goal is to be able to maintain your weight, I think it's crucial that you have a plan for maintenance, just as you had a plan to lose weight. Maintenance doesn't just happen by itself. It takes some effort, but in my experience it is SO well worth it.

I wrote a blog post on having a maintenance plan if you are interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/themedalist/view/what-s-your-maintenance-plan-624676
  • hunte028
    Options
    Best advice yet!!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I can eyeball 57 grams of granola on the dot, every time, so long as I put it in a sandwich bag.
    I can guess the weight of an apple or a banana (by looking at and holding it) within 10 grams most of the time.
    I tend to overestimate my eyeball-guess weight of meats and fish on purpose, because I know that miscalculating steak could be bad news.

I still weigh this stuff to make sure after I make my assessment, because I'm paranoid that I will be wrong, but when I go into maintenance I plan to stop weighing food and rely on my judgement.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Bidets are fun.

@OP- You could eat the same things everyday. The stuff you know the measurements of by heart.

Or eat pre-packed dinners and meals with the calories already written on them. But...yuck... :sick:
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I made it to maintenance and quit...was here for 2+ years. 10 pounds later, I am back. Log everything. BTW - 5 of those 10 are gone already...just by logging and being aware.

Make it easy, use the scanner, make your favorites into meals for easy adding, for the goofy meals that are hard to figure, I use a meal called BEST GUESS at 1,000 calories. So if I think it is 750 calories...just use 3/4 of it.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I lost a significant amount of weight over a year ago. My discipline slacked in the last few months (I also was not eating enough while I was losing the initial weight) and I have gained 15 lbs. I got really tired of counting calories and measuring EVERYTHING. Can anyone offer advice on how to overcome this...other than just kicking your own behind ;) I want to just lose about 10 and continue to gain strength and also speed up my race pace for upcoming races. But, my big picture goal is to become stronger at maintaining and see if there are ways to conquer this without the measuring and counting.

Thanks a bunch!

I loathed having the kind of relationship with food that came down to calorie counting, logging, weighing, measuring, etc. In the past I overcame that by sticking to low carb, which naturally allowed me to eat to satiation and not worry about much else. Eventually I switched over to intermittent fasting, and haven't looked back. It's the perfect way, for me, to enjoy eating the majority of the days of the week without any counting or logging. I simply refuse to ever go back to calorie counting, and I sure would never even entertain doing it for the rest of my life in maintenance.
  • greshka
    greshka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a kid's plate, bowl, and cup set. It is ceramic because you don't want to heat anything up in plastic in the micro :). I just starting using it today to help me gauge my food portions. I will be taking it with me everywhere. And if you think that is silly, well, think of what people think when you whip out a scale at the dinner table at a restaurant or a get together/cook out.

Now, of course you want to use good judgement and try not to fill the plate with a slice of cake. This is not the point. But it helps measure serving portions for more common meals.

This strategy I am trying to see if I can avoid the whole food weight crap. It takes up TOOOO much time.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am a faddy eater so I eat the same thing over and over again so it's pretty easy. I know I will most likely log in some form or another for the rest of my time (unless I decide to.get fat and unhealthy again but I hope that never happens)
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't think we will all have to weigh, every day of our lives. Most healthy-weight people don't.

I had a normal weight for 35 yrs so am hoping to ease up on the weighing and measuring, progressively.
    Portion control and being reasonable should be enough to keep my weight stable - I think and hope.

I've been maintaining for 2 months only though and don't feel confident doing it yet.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself on New Year's Eve 2008..... and was horrified.
    I spent the next 8-9 months being almost anal about logging food, and taking exercise (treadmill for 30-40 mins 4-5 times per week until I could complete >= 5km in that time). I weighed myself twice a day to the point it became obsessive.

BUT --- I lost 112lbs and thought - wow - that was <relatively> easy.

As a consequence, I stopped weighing, stopped counting, stopped running and drank more beer than I should.

Over the next 4 years, 80lbs came back. That was as of Jan 1st THIS year.

And so ... I'm back on the routine. 22lbs gone again so far and still a long way to go.

My point is .... it is FAR TOO EASY to hit goal weight and slip back into old bad habits. As somebody who has been big (312lb at my heaviest [23st] ) my body will naturally have no problem getting back there if I let it.

This time though - I'm not going to let it become sooo obsessive. I'm weighing regularly during the loss phase but once I hit maintenance, I'll continue to monitor weekly. It's far easier to make small adjustments to steer back on goal over the sake of 3-4lbs than it is for 30-40 (or in my case ... more !!).