19 y/o college student, with lots of temptations...

Options
Hi I'm Rachel:)

I'm a college sophomore and I'm 19 years old. I've been trying to lose weight since high school - well..TRYING. I'm always tempted with snacks, greasy foods, occasional alcoholic drinks...

I've been struggling with my weight since I was a little girl. I've been overweight all my life. Lately I've been trying harder to eat less, eat healthier, and work out. I commute 4 hours a day to my university and back, and it seems like the only exercise I'm getting is trying to chase a bus or using an elliptical every now and then. But I've been stuck at the same weight for months now.

My goal is at least 130 pounds, and I'm at around 170 right now (and I'm 5'5''). I need some support out there, feel free to add me, the more support the better ! x

Replies

• erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hey! Literally the exact same, been overweight for as long as I can remember and determined to finally get out of it. I'm currently 133lbs after losing 30, not sure on my end goal just going by how my body changes but I'm also 5"5 :) At college and heading to university too, struggling with fitting in food on the go and finding the energy to actually workout. will give you an add!
  • tanuchan1994
    tanuchan1994 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You're exactly at the weight I want to get to soon! Thanks for the add:)
  • aless820
    aless820 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm also a college student and weight almost the same as you! same height as well!
  • tanuchan1994
    Options
    I'll give you an add:)
  • jrjavier12
    Options
    This vid completely changed the game for me. I've dropped 12 pounds so far using it. It breaks down the math of efficiently dropping weight. Hope it helps.

The vid: Steve Cook - Abs are made in the kitchen
    http://youtu.be/V0ENsP5BPpo
  • Gemzzz12
    Gemzzz12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi! We are very similar! I'm 19 and a student too and I'm looking to loose the same amount of weight as you. I'l send yu a friend request. :D
  • kcharles22
    kcharles22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im 25 I work in a bakery AND commute 4hrs aswell. The key is being prepared for when that hunger hits. So have water and heathy snack available when you're travelling. I notice that i soon as i get home i would eat what ever is available or grab some fast food because the journey takes so much out of you, you need to eat something. Also leave any excess money u will not need at home, you cant eat what you cant afford and you'll notice how much you save. And lastly, prepare meals for college at home and take them with you. Eat about every 2-3hrs and with a good exercise plan you will be okay. I talk from experience.
  • firefighterprincess17
    Options
    I am right there with you!!!! I am 21 and kind of have the same story been heavy all my life and have constantly struggled to loose weight and keep it off. I have recently gained a lot of weight back and I am also needing the support and motivation!!! We got this we just have to be careful and make our selfs work out and eat healthy and be consistent with putting in our foods we eat and measuring so its exact. Another thing to remember is that even though we want to loose weight to look and feel better about ourselves we are all still beautiful and have wonderful things to offer those people around us!
  • tanuchan1994
    Options
    Awesome, I'll check that video out, good thing I do a lot of grocery shopping for the fam. :)
  • tanuchan1994
    Options
    That reminds me - I have a strange obsession with Starbucks. The sweet drinks, especially. Not only am I consuming so many calories...I'm also using SO much money. That's a good wake-up call.
  • tanuchan1994
    Options
    I am right there with you!!!! I am 21 and kind of have the same story been heavy all my life and have constantly struggled to loose weight and keep it off. I have recently gained a lot of weight back and I am also needing the support and motivation!!! We got this we just have to be careful and make our selfs work out and eat healthy and be consistent with putting in our foods we eat and measuring so its exact. Another thing to remember is that even though we want to loose weight to look and feel better about ourselves we are all still beautiful and have wonderful things to offer those people around us!

Preach!:) I'll give you an add as well, I like your attitude!:)
  • SmilesToGo101
    SmilesToGo101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Tori, I'm 5'3 and 138.6 pounds currently... Have been struggling with weight issues all my life as well. I started becoming obese I would say when I was in 3rd grade. I got made fun of a lot, but a had friends that helped me through it. :)
    When I reached 5th grade I had a major growth spurt and my weight stayed somewhat the same, so I looked a lot better, but I was still considered overweight. When I reached 7th grade I said enough was enough and got in to field hockey and lacrosse... I lost 20 pounds in between then. (I was 127-130 pounds) When that was over, I got in to the 8th grade and over the winter I gained all of my weight back and it made me so depressed. Damn ice cream! I'm now currently a freshmen in high school and 15 years old. My goal weight is 120 pounds by the month of May!
    I don't want to be creepy, but to make me motivated and not to cave in to that chocolate sitting on my kitchen counter, I go on the internet and look at pictures of girls that are my height and weight 120 pounds and think about how I could look like that if I just don't cheat! I also jump rope for 30 minutes in my garage (It's cold here!) 5 times a week.
  • tanuchan1994
    Options
    That's actually a good idea! I do that sometimes...without really thinking about it, I look at women's photos, not in a creepy way, but...I did that today and I felt a little better.
    That jump roping idea is good too, I don't need to worry about the floor below me haha:)
  • 1234volibol
    Options
    Hey girl! I'm in the same boat. College sophomore, obsessed with Starbucks, and never managing to eat right...too much chocolate and, well, most things. I'm 5'7 and 145 with a goal of 130. I would love some help getting to my goal weight. Anyway, feel free to add!
  • kayla7303
    kayla7303 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I know what you're going through! Working two jobs and going to school full-time. I typically have enough time to grab something (unhealthy) to eat. I'll add you!
  • crazyferretperson
    Options
    hi im zoe and im at college to and im all ways get getting tempted by alcohol drinks and energy drinks :drinker: i love my drink :bigsmile:
  • skytoads
    Options
    I'm in grad school now but I ended up surviving the traditional college lifestyle. It was definitely difficult and the weekend alcohol is what really kills your healthy eating during the week but you gotta set your priorities and stick with them! Feel free to add me if you want to talk more. Best of luck!
  • carlallen56
    carlallen56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the success you have already had. I know you seem to have hit a plateau, but there is always a way to get moving in the right direction again. Between six years as a student, three years as a staff member, and now a year as an instructor at the college level, I know that the environment can be less than ideal for healthy eating.

The good side is that you seem to have identified some good areas to make progress. And progress doesn't require drastic action. It just requires doing a few things to improve your current routine. You don't have to give up Starbucks: just cut your consumption in half. And find some fun ways to increase your exercise. Make a game out of it, and you will increase your health and your fun.

Again, congrats on your progress so far, and enjoy the road to better health.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Here's your homework:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • jagged95
    jagged95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was the same way sweetie! There are a lot of little things to do. Try to work in little bits of activity- if you ride the bus, stand instead of sitting and do calf raisers (Just make sure to hold on to a bar or something!). I do these at the fax/copy machine. People probably think I'm weird but hey I am burning calories and improving muscle tone. Boom. Just try to think outside the box with activity and make sure to stay in your calorie goal- proper planning ensures success so make sure you are packing healthy snacks!!! If you must indulge in a cocktail, make it something lighter, like light beer or gin and tonic, or my fave cherry vodka and diet Sprite! Those margaritas, daiquiris and other girly drinks are packed full of calories from all of the sweet stuff! Try to do leg raisers, or other low impact exercises while you are doing reading assignments to multi-task. Most of all, be patient- it takes time!