My hrm & pedometer is my new best friend...Get one

Options
I had questions before on here how to calculate sit ups, leg lifts, etc. I was told to buy a hrm or pedometer. I knew that besides walking which you can count on here & figure, everyday your still burning other calories. Between walking upstairs, lifting something, doing laundry, dishes, running errands . you know daily crap : )

Went to the store last night & bought one. It's actually looks like a pink watch but I had to set dob, female, weight & start heart rate.
Its 11:55 & it's shows 289 calories so far. I did go for a walk this morning but up to that point I burned 90 calories just from doing my normals this morning.

I'll just track it under walking everyday & go by what my hrm says. This way at the end of day I know how much I burned for the day.
Just wanted to share for those moms like me who are going back & forth all day.
Your still burning calories in everything you do.

Lynda:happy:

Replies

• slg334
    Options
    How much did it cost and where did you get it from? I really want to get one.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Most HRMs arent made to be worn all day, just to calculate when you are doing a strenious activity. Also your activity levels take care of the calorie burning like walking up the stairs etc if you record it as exercise you are double counting it. But just wearing it all day its not going to be accurate. Are you intending to log this as exercise?
  • ifychudy
    ifychudy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    that was fantastic. Am planning on getting one for myself can you tell me the brand name and store you got it from
  • jrich1
    Options
    If you want a total snap shot of your cal burn for the day you should invest into a body bug
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Options
    jrich is right. I am a SAHM and wear it only for when I specifically work out, or am doing something out of the ordinary (laundry, cleaning, vacuuming doesn't count for me). I frequently walk to the grocery store with my kids in tow, so don't wear it then either. If I am walking to exercise (pushing the double stroller for an hour) I wear it, remove it and then record. Or doing a workout video in my house...with my toddler "helping" by hugging my legs.

chich --Good for you though wanting to improve yourself and be accurate with your calorie count...that's why I bought mine (craigslist....ebay has them too).
  • chichi1967
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I bought it at a sports store..(any sports store) mine was &79.99...It look like a pink watch (it also is a watch) but it also has hrm and pedometer in it. It knows like mfp my age, female, etc. Thru out the day I check my heart rate & thats how it's figuring my calories cause it's set for me...I have a slow heart rate to begin with so if it's over 86 that high for me.

There was all different brands from price ranges low to high. Alot of them had to wear a watch plus chest strap. Mine doesn't.
    For some of you who said this wont calculate everything, I looked at calories before walk after 30 minutes it matched what I would of entered on mfp. How do we know everything is mfp is going to right on check.

I found what worked for me. You cant just count walking or sit ups without everything in your day & later on today I got the treadmill for 15 minutes & compared, there close

This works for me with my job & lifestyle. Find what works for you

Lynda
  • chichi1967
    Options
    Another thing I was going to mention with the hrm & pedometer I got is that it shuts off after a few minutes of me sitting down. I have to turn it back on when I get up & start going & its waterproof. At least I can see at the end of the day what my calories was the day. I work at a animal hospital so all day I walk to the back seems like 1000 times, lift things, etc. I know that besides tracking walking I've done more in a day

I know you all have your comments on it. To each your own but dont give a negative opinion if you dont own one yourself

Lynda
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Options
    I apologize if my post seemed negative to you, I did not mean it to be so. I only meant to share what I do with my HRM...since I love mine too. Good luck in your progress. Glad you found what works for you.
  • chichi1967
    Options
    :smile: I wear mine all day cause it is a watch too & I dont have one. Its pink & made for females. I do understand what your saying...I dont have a gym membership, I work out at home. By what it's reading now...instead of burning 200 -300 calories on the treadmill, it reads as a extra 100 with everyone else for the day for excercise.

Im just excited to have a pink watch : )

Lynda
  • jrich1
    Options
    I couldnt tell who your comments above were set at, but you need to consider your activity level, if its set already for your job and you log exercise for walking up the stairs, that is already included in your activity level and MFP already accounts for those trips walking around your job.
    I do have a HRM, and they are a great tool if used properly, but it sounds like counting every day activities such as walking around at work and going upstairs at home (I do this 12 times a night just to get my kid to stay in bed), its doing you more harm than good with your exercise if its not properly used