Proper warm-up for lifting?

Options
After reading another thread on here, I'm a little worried that I'm not warming up properly before lifting weights.

Also, I'm now thinking that I just need to do my weight routine twice a week instead of 3 times a week. I typically do squats, deadlifts, bench press, barbell row, and overhead press, maybe a few others thrown in. Not stronglifts, I just lift enough weight to fail after 8-12 reps. I do 3 sets of each.

So I guess what I'm asking is....what is considered a proper warm-up for lifting? And is it ok to do that workout 3 times per week, or should I cut it back to twice a week?

Replies

• hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    After reading another thread on here, I'm a little worried that I'm not warming up properly before lifting weights.

Also, I'm now thinking that I just need to do my weight routine twice a week instead of 3 times a week. I typically do squats, deadlifts, bench press, barbell row, and overhead press, maybe a few others thrown in. Not stronglifts, I just lift enough weight to fail after 8-12 reps. I do 3 sets of each.

So I guess what I'm asking is....what is considered a proper warm-up for lifting? And is it ok to do that workout 3 times per week, or should I cut it back to twice a week?

i only warm up for the first set of weights, probably an accident waiting to happen, 3 times a week is not overkill
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I just do warmup sets at much lighter weight. I generally do 3 warm-up sets that progressively get a little heavier on all of my compound lifts before I get into the working sets. I've found that proper warm-up sets really help me to push and pull a lot more weight than if I just went into my working sets cold.

Why are you looking at twice per week instead of 3x weekly full body? Nothing wrong with it, just curious...if you're trying to make strength gains, they will be infinitely slower. I do 2x weekly full body at the moment, but only because I'm spending a lot of time on my bike training for a 1/2 and a metric century at the moment and I can't recover with all of that action with a 3x program...but my strength gains are pretty much nil with 2x weekly...just trying to maintain it. Just want you to be aware that any gains you're making will suffer a bit.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I personally do 1 to 3 warm up sets with enough weight to set my form for that particular exercise... If I feel good after the first set I will jump right into my regular sets but most of the time do atleast 2 sets... For me it is all about setting my form so to prevent injury the best I can...... Best of Luck
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You can do mobility drills ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc ) Limber 11, Agile 8
    You can also do warmup sets of >50% of your work weight.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I just do warmup sets at much lighter weight. I generally do 3 warm-up sets that progressively get a little heavier on all of my compound lifts before I get into the working sets. I've found that proper warm-up sets really help me to push and pull a lot more weight than if I just went into my working sets cold.

Why are you looking at twice per week instead of 3x weekly full body? Nothing wrong with it, just curious...if you're trying to make strength gains, they will be infinitely slower. I do 2x weekly full body at the moment, but only because I'm spending a lot of time on my bike training for a 1/2 and a metric century at the moment and I can't recover with all of that action with a 3x program...but my strength gains are pretty much nil with 2x weekly...just trying to maintain it. Just want you to be aware that any gains you're making will suffer a bit.

Well, I saw several folks post on another thread that you should allow a 72 hour break before working the muscles again. If I'm doing a full-body workout 3 times a week, that's only 48 hours of rest between workout days.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Well, I saw several folks post on another thread that you should allow a 72 hour break before working the muscles again. If I'm doing a full-body workout 3 times a week, that's only 48 hours of rest between workout days.

Plenty of people have less than 72 hours break and do more than fine, think less lift more, do and adjust, advice is fine but results are the important thing and you are the best person to affect this