Assisted pull up - grip?

I recently started doing assisted pull ups on the machine with the goal of eventually doing unassisted pull-ups. My question is about the grip to use - should the thumb be over or under the bar? Does it matter? It seems like the videos mostly show the thumb over the bar in line with the fingers, but having the thumb under the bar feels more secure. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    I am not a pull-up pro. In fact I've never done one. But if I were to do a pull-up I would do it with the thumb under because that does seem more secure. I do know that if you do them with, what I'll call a "reverse grip" (your palms facing towards your body) you are able to use your biceps to assist in the lift. If it were me I'd start with those and do a thumb under grip.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Thumb under.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Humans are are the dominant species of the land. Humans have opposable thumbs. Use them to your advantage.

Bonus note: thumb on same side has it's uses, but it's nickname is "suicide grip". Think about that nickname for a moment
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Humans are are the dominant species of the land. Humans have opposable thumbs. Use them to your advantage.

Bonus note: thumb on same side has it's uses, but it's nickname is "suicide grip". Think about that nickname for a moment

Yes, I totally get that. Thumb under it is! Thanks all!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Do both. The thumb under or palms facing you position use more of your biceps while the thumbs over or palms facing away exercise more of your lats and back. I find it easier to have my palms facing me, but both are good exercises.