Night Time Bingeing

Options
Hi everyone

Has anyone got any tips on how I can stop bingeing at night after around 9pm? I have done for the last 4 nights totally ruining the work I had done and now and I'm really upset about it. I know that the easy way is 'not to eat and avoid the kitchen' but its far easier than done.

I could go all day without eating a thing but when it comes to around 6pm I just can't stope myself.

Appreciate any help, advice or add me as a friend help support and motivate each other, thanks for reading!!!! Help!

Replies

• Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I use to binge eat every day at night time.

I recently switched to 16:8 fasting.. basically 16 hours of fasting, and a 8 hour eating window.
    So I dont start eating till 1PM and stop eating at 9PM no exceptions.

I find Im always full now vs always hungry when I eat 6 - 7 meals a day and my binging has stopped since Im physically not allowed to due to time restrictions.

Sounds like you naturally eat more later, so maybe use the bulk of your calories at night?

Another thing is to stop eating in front of the TV or computer so you dont mindlessly eat.
    Sitting down with your snack at the table isnt as fun and desirable, especially when binging.

I found most of my binges were triggered by sugars and carbs .. Id eat one muffin, piece of candy, serving of chips or instant oatmeal or something and boom I cant stop. Now if I have snacks I have high fiber or protein snacks like beef jerky, cottage cheese or fat free popcorn
  • fificrazy
    Options
    You're not binging.

You're restricting during the day and then REACTIVELY eating at night!

You can't survive on blueberries and coffee all day! :\ Up your calories (1,300 is also unsustainable) and spread them out.
  • reimaka17
    reimaka17 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just took a lot at your food diary for today and it might help if you eat more filling foods. Sure you're meeting your calorie goals but you're not really *eating*, if that makes sense. You're only real meal of the day was dinner where you ate 2 baked potatoes w/ cheese and some tuna. No wonder you're hungry by the end of the day! Try eating foods with more protein and fat--they'll fill you up longer.

Anyway, nighttime binging is the worst, I know. I'd eat perfectly during the day then once 8-9pm hit I'd be ravenous, and if I didn't control myself (which sometimes I couldn't) I'd clear out half the fridge and a shelf in the cabinet. It helps to go to sleep early, if you can. Keep frozen fruits available at all times. Not only are they yummy but you can suck on them for a while, which helps curb the desire to "stuff your face", so to speak. (I personally love frozen grapes and blueberries.)

If you're that hungry then just eat something. I favor boiled eggs in a pinch. Even if you go over by 70-80 calories it's a much better alternative to binging.

You can also drink tea or water. A lot of it. So much of it that you feel it in your stomach. Sometimes that really, really helps.

Think of your MFP diary as IT. Once you submit your entry for the day you can't go back to add to it. That's been surprisingly helpful to me. There have been a few times when I really, really wanted to pig out at midnight but didn't because I didn't want to edit my diary.

That's all I've got, unfortunately. It's what's sort of working for me so far, but it's not perfect. I'll be following this thread to see if anyone has better ideas.

Good luck, OP! And remember: you can do this!
  • BeCourageous2013
    BeCourageous2013 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thanks, this was helpful to me. i am an emotional eater and it seems that everything hits me at night because I'm not busy so i have too much time to stress lol