Healthy or High protein snacks

Options
goredguar
goredguar Posts: 63 Member
I'm trying to build muscle, and I keep getting to the end of the day without hitting my macros, and at 1200-1300 calories.

Don't really want to get into the habit of eating chocolate bars at 10pm to up the calories, I'd rather have things with more nutritional value!

So I'd love to see what people eat snack-wise (please, no protein powder, the only one I have right now - Holland & Barrett so called 'chocolate' - tastes like s*** XD). I can't eat nuts due to an allergy, so almonds etc are out the window. It'd be great to have something to take to university that I can snack on in between lectures.

Feel free to share ideas and pictures on what you find delicious or helpful. Healthy and/or high protein is even better :)

Replies

• keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    4% milkfat cottage cheese is 110 calories for a half cup and 12 grams of protein. Low fat cottage cheese is 90 calories and ok mixed with stuff but the full fat is good plain. Kiefer is about 120 calories a cup and has about 10 grams of protein. Rolled lunch meat with either mustard or hot sauce like sriracha . Hardboiled eggs.
  • goredguar
    Options
    Hmm, yeah - cottage cheese and egg sounds like a good idea. :)
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you poke around there are threads about what people add to cottage cheese
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with a tbsp of sunflower seeds....Yummo!!!
  • petitepeanutbutter
    Options
    I just got my jars of Nuts N' More peanut and almond butters in the mail. I spread some of the PB on a quest bar today as a snack. It was amazing and talk about high protein!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you taking in per day? The only way you'll BUILD muscle is if you're eating a caloric surplus and lifting weights. If you're trying to lose weight while retaining muscle and increasing STRENGTH, you need to get adequate protein while doing a progressive resistance program.

This is a boring answer to your question but whey protein. Powder + milk + fruit + ice = smoothie (chocolate powder with banana and a tbsp of peanut butter is awesome). Sometimes I mix chocolate powder with diet root beer... It gets a smooth, creamy, almost milkshakey texture. Cheese, yogurt, and milk are other easy things.
  • CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, boiled egg, tin of tuna or salmon. Look up some recipes that use the protein powder to replace flour and make some high protein mini muffins or brownies that you can enjoy with a cup of tea . Remember with treats, portion size is key! A mini muffin is just the right size to have a mouthful or two of yumminess, without busting your calories for the day. Freeze the leftovers in snap lock bags and you can take one out as you need them, or throw one in your bag on the way out in the morning.

http://www.cheflisiparsons.com/chocolate-chip-protein-mini-muffins/
  • MissInfiniti
    MissInfiniti Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Tuna mixed with cottage cheese!
  • skytoads
    Options
    Beef jerky, seeds, scoops of peanut butter and prepackaged protein shakes are my go-to protein snacks. If you have access to a refrigerator I would consider Greek yogurt and milk to be good options as well! If you have a microwave oven check out Eckridge Turkey Sausage as a snack, too - but some consider it a little too processed but it's perfect for me!
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'll reiterate the beef jerky; I definitely use that to get my protein in. Edamame is yummy and good for protein, though I would say it's high volume for relatively low calories, so it might not be as good if you're having trouble hitting calorie intake. I'll throw the suggestion of canned chicken out there along with the canned fish suggestions.

ETA: I'm at university too, and protein bars are good for portability. I usually get Odwalla ones.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of turkey jerky lately. The Jack Links brand is 80 calories and 13g of protein in an ounce, and it's not too salty.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt....Chobani is my fav.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Bump, so I can read later on, need ideas also!!!
  • traynorj82
    traynorj82 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    beans - I just made black bean brownies...YUM!!!
    cottage cheese
    yogurt
  • goredguar
    Options
    Thanks for all the pointers everyone - these ideas are super helpful, I've stocked my fridge up on various things like cottage cheese :)

beans - I just made black bean brownies...YUM!!!
    cottage cheese
    yogurt

Oooh, black bean brownies? Do tell!
  • traynorj82
    traynorj82 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
  • odell47
    odell47 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yum those sound amazing. Recipe please if possible. I was doing so good with my eating until the holidays. Now I have good day (yesterday) with no junk and bad days today where I cant get enough.