Weight loss just wont stop or slow down

Options

Replies

• Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ahh I forgot about the drinks side of things, now can always switch from my coke zero to ordinary coke, if I can't keep up, but yeah today I had to force myself to stuff bigger foods down my throat like Sticky Bread Buns, Sandwitches, cheese, Meat Pie, Chips, Bananas and half a roast chicken, and now I feel like i've eaten a horse.

And I'm not a fuzzy eater, the food I've brought is the food im used to buying, I mean it's kept me healthy and never seen the need to change, but yeah my shopping lists will have to change, its too expensive if I was the eat the same way I did today, everyday...
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Ahh I forgot about the drinks side of things, now can always switch from my coke zero to ordinary coke, if I can't keep up, but yeah today I had to force myself to stuff bigger foods down my throat like Sticky Bread Buns, Sandwitches, cheese, Meat Pie, Chips, Bananas and half a roast chicken, and now I feel like i've eaten a horse.

And I'm not a fuzzy eater, the food I've brought is the food im used to buying, I mean it's kept me healthy and never seen the need to change, but yeah my shopping lists will have to change, its too expensive if I was the eat the same way I did today, everyday...

I'm maintaining (although I'm trying to bulk) on your maintenance calories so feel free to creep my diary for ideas. I east fairly healthily most of the time but on an IIFYM basis.

Whilst not calorie dense (other than avocados) you might want to try eating more fruit and veg for your health (rather than just to lose weight). Nothing but baked goods and a single banana won't really meet your micro-nutritional needs.
  • thetimenexyear
    Options
    What's TDEE AND BMR?
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 145, 5'8" and pretty active throughout the week. I just started maintaining last week but I dropped almost another pound this week despite eating at MFP's maintenance and a night of booze and snacks. Might have to try the TDEE method again.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'd it's pretty clear what to do, and you know it, the opposite of what you were doing to lose. Eat more Move less. Up your cals some more boy!
  • jenmarqueiro
    jenmarqueiro Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me . . . got down to 7st, then kept dropping until I hit 6st6lb . . . then I went on holiday to Vegas and have buffets everyday, came back and went up to 7st! :D The key for me, eating - lots! aha I was having BIG breakfasts and eating late at night! Then again I was on holiday and I didn't actually plan to put that much on but there you go! :)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Get a big jar of Nutella and get busy.
  • Spiderkeys
    Options
    Ok doing everything right, today I ate 2,200 calories, yesterday I ate 2,400, this is approx my maintenance weight, I decided to eat half a cup of almonds (Nuts) to make sure I keep up.

Wondering though, since my diet started0, I've always fasted after dinner, would it be better if I start eating at night?
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want to eat!

If you talking about maintaining weight it just boils down to calories in vs calories out
    When you eat them calories makes no difference
  • sarzo14
    sarzo14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the samw problem. I'm a 21 year old student. I have a pretty sendetary life, but I try to ride my bike to school when it's sunny and I have volleyball practice twice a week (I used to be a professional, but now I only enjoy recreational playing). This is all the workout I get in a week.
    I eat 2000kcal a week (sory my diary is not open, but I use calorie counter for counting calories but the forums here are better :D) now that I'm on maintance and I have 160lbs (5'10").
    Do you think 2000 is not enough (I sometimes eat more than 2000 but not more than 2200). When I was restricting I was eating around 1600-1800, but have now uped my alorie intake. In the last month I still lost 2 pounds and I'm worried I won't stop losing.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I have the samw problem. I'm a 21 year old student. I have a pretty sendetary life, but I try to ride my bike to school when it's sunny and I have volleyball practice twice a week (I used to be a professional, but now I only enjoy recreational playing). This is all the workout I get in a week.
    I eat 2000kcal a week (sory my diary is not open, but I use calorie counter for counting calories but the forums here are better :D) now that I'm on maintance and I have 160lbs (5'10").
    Do you think 2000 is not enough (I sometimes eat more than 2000 but not more than 2200). When I was restricting I was eating around 1600-1800, but have now uped my alorie intake. In the last month I still lost 2 pounds and I'm worried I won't stop losing.

Add 100 cals a day - so go up to 2100. Run with 2100 a day for two weeks. If still losing, add another 100 cals a day and repeat. If you stayed the same, stay with these numbers for a minute.

You'll find your maintenance numbers by carefully weighing, measuring and logging everything and just slightly increasing your daily amount.

But, yeah, basically if you're still losing weight, then you're not at maintenance. Calculations are, at the end of the day, just estimates. They give you a starting point and then you need to run with some numbers and try to edge closer over 2 week periods (this way you'll average out any fluctuations due to fluid retention, etc).
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat more. You're losing. At your currently activity level, to stop losing you need to eat more. I have also found in the past that bodies have natural places where they want to sit for weight. You are at one place and can eat anything and stay there, and then suddenly either gain or drop rapidly until you get to another point of stability. That happened to me going up. It happened to me again coming down. I'm guessing your body is going to a new stable point. If you don't want it there, you're going to have to work hard to stop it, and I bet once you're there you will have to drop your calories again to maintain there.

But I am so tired of people saying 'oh, you're eating so little - I am tiny and eat that and lose a pound a week'. I am a tall, net almost 1000 calories under that a day, and maintain. And that's not because I love doing it, because I've been a dieter all my life (this has been my first lifetime effort to lose), or because I'm a masochist. It's because that's what MFP recommends given my age and stats. Since I'm not hungry, not losing, and not gaining, I'm guessing that's about right. And for me, netting 1440 is maintenance. Bodies differ.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think this is part of the problem with such a restrictive diet. I was just recovering from a (stupid) 1200 calorie diet when I hit goal. Going up to.maintenance is a bit of a shock. I had a sausage bap and was still way under my calories. A sensible deficit makes maintenance much easier! (too late for me but others may learn from my.mistake)
  • Spiderkeys
    Options
    I just thought, bugger it, and jumped from weight loss mode, to maintenance mode, otherwise Ill might lose too much weight preparing, All week I've been on 2200 calories, the weight looks stable now, but seemed of gained 3 pounds since the start of maintenance mode, and the extra 3 pounds hasn't come back off all week, Is this normal? Bit concerned but at least I'm not gaining or losing anymore...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I just thought, bugger it, and jumped from weight loss mode, to maintenance mode, otherwise Ill might lose too much weight preparing, All week I've been on 2200 calories, the weight looks stable now, but seemed of gained 3 pounds since the start of maintenance mode, and the extra 3 pounds hasn't come back off all week, Is this normal? Bit concerned but at least I'm not gaining or losing anymore...

Depends on what sort of things you were eating cutting vs now (i.e. have you changed the macronutrient composition of your diet, sodium content of foods, etc), have you changed your training routine/style....?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Ok doing everything right, today I ate 2,200 calories, yesterday I ate 2,400, this is approx my maintenance weight, I decided to eat half a cup of almonds (Nuts) to make sure I keep up.

Wondering though, since my diet started0, I've always fasted after dinner, would it be better if I start eating at night?

Meal frequency/timing is not responsible for weight gain and/or loss. Eating at night wouldn't make you gain more unless you happen to be eating much more than you were before (such as adding an extra meal in).
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Yes. The bump up you see at the start of maintenance is the same as the bump down most people see when they start a diet and is due to glycogen in your muscles being used for fuel, or not.

Keep tracking, and if you see any more change after a month you might have to adjust slightly.
  • Spiderkeys
    Options
    I expect it would be then more food = more sodium, and yeah added a an extra meal to my days now, it's called Breakfast, I wasn't a breakfast eater before, just now eating breakfast helps keep me to my goal, any left overs calories after dinner, I eat like half a cup of nuts to meet my goal, but never hungry at night, I still fast there.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's normal. There's a good chance your weight will fluctuate more than usual for a short while at the beginning, and you'll just need to ride it out. You can either not weigh in at all for the first couple of weeks (and just judge by how your clothes fit), or weigh in every day and average it out. You'll get used to the increased intake pretty quickly, and it will stop feeling like SO MUCH FOOD.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I wish I had your metabolism!!!