HELP! NET CALORIES IN THE NEGATIVES??!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Brown is the color of brownies and dark lager. In for the Brown Diet.

I love the brown

Woohoo!
    rennerawesome_zpsee84f4db.gif
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Can you post up the exact weights and calorie breakdown of what you have eaten and what you did and how long for for your excersise because I seriously think your counts are off. For example, Calorie King calculates two slices of whole grain bread equalling 218 calories on its own without anything added. I eat around 390 cal for breakfast alone and that is not usually much more than 2 poached eggs on a slice of wholegrain bread, 2 fried mushrooms and a cup of coffee.

Also to burn 655 calories you would need to be running at a fair speed for a good 2 hours or so. If you have just used the count on the treadmill (or whatever) it is bound to be way incorrect. Even MFP, Calorie King or Map My Fitness calorie counts are so far out of the field I am very wary of using them in case I overestimate my excersise calories. Maybe cross reference your calorie counts with other sites to see if you get a similar tally.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

Also to burn 655 calories you would need to be running at a fair speed for a good 2 hours or so. If you have just used the count on the treadmill (or whatever) it is bound to be way incorrect. Even MFP, Calorie King or Map My Fitness calorie counts are so far out of the field I am very wary of using them in case I overestimate my excersise calories. Maybe cross reference your calorie counts with other sites to see if you get a similar tally.

655 for two hours of running? For just how light of a person and at what speed? Mayo Clinic estimates 606 calories per hour for a 160 lb human at 5mph ... one of the lower estimates.

The math resulting in needing two hours of running to burn 655 calories is suspect.
  • White foods are extremely high in cals. That might just make me go over, right?
  • brianpperkins
    White foods are extremely high in cals. That might just make me go over, right?

Huh? Where are you coming up with this stuff?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    what? no. I don't.. I can't even...

what?
  • Can you post up the exact weights and calorie breakdown of what you have eaten and what you did and how long for for your excersise because I seriously think your counts are off. For example, Calorie King calculates two slices of whole grain bread equalling 218 calories on its own without anything added. I eat around 390 cal for breakfast alone and that is not usually much more than 2 poached eggs on a slice of wholegrain bread, 2 fried mushrooms and a cup of coffee.

here are my numbers today:
    goal: 1200
    food: 963
    exercise: -350
    net- 613
    remaining: 587
  • Nephy07
    Nephy07 Posts: 76 Member

White foods? Wait, what!?
  • Everyone is seriously taking my comments WAY TOO seriously and out of context! I said white/light foods like white bread and white rice I have stopped eating because I thought grains were healthier. If I am still able to eat what I regularly eat (white breads/cereals) I will be happy. As long as I eat in moderation. Jeez
  • My numbers are

Goal: 1200
    exercise: 350
    net: 613

For breakfast I had two eggs which I scrambled with a little light kraft cheese and put on one slice of whole wheat grain bread (which I folded over to make a sandwich), Half cup of light yogurt, a organic banana with a little peanut butter, water

For lunch: 6' in subway sub on 9-grain whole wheat bread: turkey breast and black forest ham with lettuce and tomatoes. No dressings/condiments. and the other half of my yogurt

I also had a little fruit and nut trail mix in between. Am I doing better?
  • And I worked out for an hour today
  • Nephy07
    Nephy07 Posts: 76 Member
    Well, you call it white foods, we call it carbs :) and ofc you can eat them, but you have to eat them in moderation. But at the end of the story, everything has to be in moderation. You just need to eat more and be sure that exercise calories you're logging are correct
  • White foods are extremely high in cals. That might just make me go over, right?

Huh? Where are you coming up with this stuff?

Google
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Everyone is seriously taking my comments WAY TOO seriously and out of context! I said white/light foods like white bread and white rice I have stopped eating because I thought grains were healthier. If I am still able to eat what I regularly eat (white breads/cereals) I will be happy. As long as I eat in moderation. Jeez

Girl, you ARE NOT READING the comments. Stop, shake your head, clear your miss conceptions, and read what people have commented about you food intake .

Eat your exercise calories back, or at least 1/2 of them. Weigh your food, eat more protein, fruit and vegetables. Geez!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I also had a little fruit and nut trail mix in between. Am I doing better?

better, yes... but you're still undereating.

eat. I'm STILL not sure why you think an active 22 year old needs 1200 calories.
  • brianpperkins
    Can you post up the exact weights and calorie breakdown of what you have eaten and what you did and how long for for your excersise because I seriously think your counts are off. For example, Calorie King calculates two slices of whole grain bread equalling 218 calories on its own without anything added. I eat around 390 cal for breakfast alone and that is not usually much more than 2 poached eggs on a slice of wholegrain bread, 2 fried mushrooms and a cup of coffee.

net- 613

Let's go back to step one because there are some serious issues here.
    How tall are you?
    What is your current weight? Goal weight? Planned loss per week?
    What is your activity level?

From there we can look at your BMR (number of calories your body burns just to exist ... basically what you would expend in a coma) and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure ... basically, what you burn from normal activities plus your BMR). Once those are established, it's simple math to calculate your daily caloric goal to lose a planned amount per week to reach your eventual goal.

The other huge issue here is your caloric intake and burn. Please list exactly what you are eating ... what it is and how much by weight and/or volume (EXAMPLE - 4 ounces of skinless chicken breast, 1 cup of coffee, 3 ounces of tuna ... whatever you are eating). Then list exactly what you are doing for exercise to justify the burns you list ... are you doing an hour an the elliptical, running 12 minute miles for five miles, DVD workout (if so, which one), lifting, etc?

Without that data, fixing your negative net calories is based on guessing.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Everyone is seriously taking my comments WAY TOO seriously and out of context! I said white/light foods like white bread and white rice I have stopped eating because I thought grains were healthier. If I am still able to eat what I regularly eat (white breads/cereals) I will be happy. As long as I eat in moderation. Jeez

Girl, you ARE NOT READING the comments. Stop, shake your head, clear your miss conceptions, and read what people have commented about you food intake .

Eat your exercise calories back, or at least 1/2 of them. Weigh your food, eat more protein, fruit and vegetables. Geez!

^This. Read this!!^
  • Thats what its telling me. I changed my setting to 1 lb a week so now it went up to 1,490 as my goal. But Like I said, its only my second day. goodness lol thanks y'all
  • IT MEANS EAT SOME FOOD!!! AND WHAT, PRAY TELL, ARE YOU DOING FOR EXERCISE THAT IS BURNING 600+ CALORIES AT YOUR BODYWEIGHT??!

How are you alive? Eat some food! Not half this & half that, whole this & whole that!
  • Can you post up the exact weights and calorie breakdown of what you have eaten and what you did and how long for for your excersise because I seriously think your counts are off. For example, Calorie King calculates two slices of whole grain bread equalling 218 calories on its own without anything added. I eat around 390 cal for breakfast alone and that is not usually much more than 2 poached eggs on a slice of wholegrain bread, 2 fried mushrooms and a cup of coffee.

net- 613

Let's go back to step one because there are some serious issues here.
    How tall are you?
    What is your current weight? Goal weight? Planned loss per week?
    What is your activity level?

From there we can look at your BMR (number of calories your body burns just to exist ... basically what you would expend in a coma) and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure ... basically, what you burn from normal activities plus your BMR). Once those are established, it's simple math to calculate your daily caloric goal to lose a planned amount per week to reach your eventual goal.

The other huge issue here is your caloric intake and burn. Please list exactly what you are eating ... what it is and how much by weight and/or volume (EXAMPLE - 4 ounces of skinless chicken breast, 1 cup of coffee, 3 ounces of tuna ... whatever you are eating). Then list exactly what you are doing for exercise to justify the burns you list ... are you doing an hour an the elliptical, running 12 minute miles for five miles, DVD workout (if so, which one), lifting, etc?

Without that data, fixing your negative net calories is based on guessing.

i'm 22
    5'5
    My scale keeps going up and down but my weight is around 148 lbs. I want to lose 20 lbs. I just changed my setting on MFP to 1lb loss per week.

I just started this so I've only been eating 1 cup of scrambled eggs, one slice of Arnold's 100% whole wheat bread slice, light yogurts, water bottles, tuna sandwiches/subs (6 in) and 1/4 cup nuts. 3 slices turkey and 3 slices black forest ham, bowl of salads with tomatoes, 1/4 cup light kraft cheese