How does everyone do it?

Options
This is my second time on MFP, I did not lose much weight the first time around but now I think I'm down about 5lbs from when I first started. I'm ready to try this again because quite frankly I want to look good in pictures with my college friends and steal their clothes ;)

How does everyone stay motivated even when the scale does not budge?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I get measured at my gym at the end of every month so that motivates me to keep it up because it's not something I do all the time...when you weigh, if you don't do well for a week, you can always do better the next week and weigh again. With getting measured, I feel like it's my "one chance" per month to see a change. Also, when the scale doesn't budge, I can see how my body is progressing in other ways than just weight. :happy:
  • davischiky
    davischiky Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Is remember to be patient. Before I joined MFP, I lost 15 pounds simply from watching what I ate and hit the treadmill for at least 35 minutes. However, I have been at a complete stand still without seeing any type of results on the scale. :( I just know I have to keep pressing forward because in the long wrong its going for my health.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated by thinking this way . So, the scale didn't budge, BUT if i get discouraged & frustrated and overeat because it's "not working" it's going to go UP!! I tell myself that if i just continue on even though i'm upset about the results, it will eventually move in my favor!! if you give up you'll only go up.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The scale is just one factor.

How I feel is a bigger factor.

When I am eating well and exercising, I feel good. When I don't, I feel bad. I like feeling good more than feeling bad.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    The scale is just one factor.

How I feel is a bigger factor.

When I am eating well and exercising, I feel good. When I don't, I feel bad. I like feeling good more than feeling bad.

Exactly! Even if the scale isn't moving, or hasn't for awhile... if you are eating right and getting some sort of exercise, you are improving your overall health!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I needed some pick me up after seeing the scale not buget, yet again this morning...I haven't seen it move except up and down with the same 5 pounds for 2 1/2 months..hang in there!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I don't look to the scale for motivation. I look to how I feel and how I fit in my clothes.

Everything is a matter of perspective. If you look at this as a diet, then you might have a hard motivating yourself when the scale doesn't move. But if you look at it as a learning experience of how to live life to the fullest, then motivation comes from everywhere.

Good Luck and Welcome back. :flowerforyou:
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong -- I love good food. I love to eat!

But you know what feels even better than putting food in my mouth? Getting in a great bike ride or having an excellent workout. I can leave the trail or the gym in the greatest of moods. I am not sure I have ever had the equivalent "pick me up" from a meal or treat.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If the scale isn't moving but I'm working hard, I hide my scale for a bit and allow my body to do it's thing. I can easily syke myself out by being too scale conscious.

Cheers!

Katie (aka Kekibird)
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I ended up getting a trainer when I felt I had hit a wall. It gave me just the right amount of push to keep the scale moving. I realize it's not something I can keep up since it's not cheap, but just having someone to work out with helps keep me motivated.
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone :) this time i plan on focusing just on measurements, although i left my tap at home. Its hard to eat while I'm away but I do try to eat less of it and buy healthy foods when I can. My apartments have an updated gym :) i love it!