Can too much weight loss cause chest tightness?

Options
Now before you order me to see a doctor, I been and had a couple of tests like an ECG and it's results have been negative, which so far so good that it's not my heart, i'm yet to get a blood test.

But question is, I don't like the amount of weight i've lost of my chest, I can easily feel my rib bones, and that bone that sticks out in the middle, under the heart I think, lying on my back is most uncomfortable because my chest feels tight and my bones stick out.

Because of the weight i've lost off my chest, it made me decide to stop losing, and I'm thinking I should gain a little, it just feels kind of creepy how you can now feel your own rib bones.

I'm just kindof or want to believe my weight loss has something to do with the tightness feeling all the time.

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Unless you lost far too much, far too quickly it shouldn't have caused heart issues (like the ones anorexia sufferers have).

Do you have a lot of caffeine?
    Do you feel panicky when your chest feels tight?
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    judging by your other post on how you lost your weight and how little you ate, I personally would go and explain that to the doctor. Get checked for deficiencies perhaps. Given your age and gender it is not something a doctor would normally consider, but it might be worth exploring.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I drink too much caffine unfortunately, pepsi Maxes and sometimes up to 6 litres a day.

And did I feel panicky? When they first started yes, but not so much anymore but it's isnt great living like this.

After a good sleep it goes, but it's usually at the worse by the end of the day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I drink too much caffine unfortunately, pepsi Maxes and sometimes up to 6 litres a day.

And did I feel panicky? When they first started yes, but not so much anymore but it's isnt great living like this.

After a good sleep it goes, but it's usually at the worse by the end of the day.

You're not a kid, you need to start taking care of your health better. You're doing yourself serious damage by the sounds of it.
  • SpecialSundae
    Options

You're not a kid, you need to start taking care of your health better. You're doing yourself serious damage by the sounds of it.

QT
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    "Chest" can be many things, not just the heart. It can be your ribs (dietary deficiency of bone minerals), inflammation of the muscles between the ribs, anxiety pain, also stomach pain can present in the chest.
  • Spiderkeys
    Options
    I didn't mention I'm a heavy smoker too, but other than those two not so healthy things, I've never been fitter with the constant healthy food I eat, plus the exercise I do (which of course sets it off), anyway I'm sure to find out the issue this week with more tests, was just hoping it was only weight loss than causes the tightness feeling, and I don't need to worry.
  • SpecialSundae
    Options
    I didn't mention I'm a heavy smoker too, but other than those two not so healthy things, I've never been fitter with the constant healthy food I eat, plus the exercise I do (which of course sets it off), anyway I'm sure to find out the issue this week with more tests, was just hoping it was only weight loss than causes the tightness feeling, and I don't need to worry.

No offense, but those are pretty massive issues... and what constant healthy food?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Starving yourself, drinking 6litres of coke a day, heavy smoker....

And you don't see a problem with this?!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You certainly DO need to worry!
    I'm glad you're getting tests. I hope you get the nuclear stress test as well.
    And if you really care about your health, do everything you can to stop smoking and drinking all that soda.
    Make sure you get a chest x-ray with all the heaving smoking you do.
    You cannot pronounce yourself fit when you smoke heavily!
  • Woodster83
    Woodster83 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do you feel able to start cutting down at all? Or has it become a problem for you?

I would start with the Pepsi max, can you get down to 4-5ltrs a day for the next week, then 4ltrs a day the week after and see how you feel?

I think you know what's causing it, you just need a plan to try to make things better for yourself :)
  • fast_stacie
    fast_stacie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to get a very tender xiphoid and sore sternum. It can often feel Iike pressure and tightness. However it still scares me everytime. I would still suggesting speaking to a doctor, but realize it could be something other than a heart problem.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Starving yourself, drinking 6litres of coke a day, heavy smoker....

And you don't see a problem with this?!

This, this and this.

A normal ECG will only rule certain cardiac abnormalities out, it is not a clean bill of health.

Could it be exercise related muscular skeletal pain? Possibly but with your history I wouldn't be trusting the opinions of random Internet strangers
  • Spiderkeys
    Options
    I'm cutting out the caffeine as from now, as for smoking, it's a good time I considered quitting now, as I wouldn't mind gaining a few pounds, and whoever said I was starving myself? well I ate 2,000 calories yesterday, then 2,400 calories today, so at least I still got my appetite, in fact I kind of feel better I ate a lot today.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I'm cutting out the caffeine as from now, as for smoking, it's a good time I considered quitting now, as I wouldn't mind gaining a few pounds, and whoever said I was starving myself? well I ate 2,000 calories yesterday, then 2,400 calories today, so at least I still got my appetite, in fact I kind of feel better I ate a lot today.

You said in another thread that you ate 1380 cals per day to lose weight and some days ate nothing... I would call that starving yourself, no?

No wonder you feel better, you're finally giving your body some nutrition! Keep it up!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,685 Member
    Options
    Well, I came here to tell you to see your doctor. Don't know what is causing the tightness. I know you were looking for people who had the same experience. But I'm so glad you are seeing a doctor!

I looked at your diary and you do have some nice food, especially proteins. But almost no vegetables (potatoes do not count). You like your starches. Peas and bananas are both very starchy. You need some dark green vegies and fresh fruit. You are missing some serious nutrients. If you're not already, adding a multivitamin or two would be good.

Be careful not to use this as an excuse to gain back the weight you lost. Is that the part of your brain that tries to justify overeating? Or is it your body seriously telling you it needs something. (And btw your body should be craving nutrition.)

Giving up the caffeine and smoking should help so much with your overall health! Good Luck!
  • Spiderkeys
    Options

You said in another thread that you ate 1380 cals per day to lose weight and some days ate nothing... I would call that starving yourself, no?

Yeah I was nearly starving myself for quite some time, then upped them to 1580 2 weeks ago, and thats still not much, 1,700-1,900 wasn't much better either so I jumped to 2400 today after your advice.[/quote]

I looked at your diary and you do have some nice food, especially proteins. But almost no vegetables (potatoes do not count). You like your starches. Peas and bananas are both very starchy. You need some dark green vegies and fresh fruit. You are missing some serious nutrients. If you're not already, adding a multivitamin or two would be good.

Actually I eating more veges than it looks, either I dont see them so important to record as they so low in calories anyway, and I eating a lot of subways and they are packed with tons of different veges. But I slacked off on the fruit but im starting up again.