Need 1200 cal friends for accountability and support

Options

Replies

• BlakeKellyD
    BlakeKellyD Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1250, if you'd like to add me feel free! Not too far off. :)

I am always up for new friends during similar adventures.
  • swissmish
    swissmish Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You're more than welcome to add me. I am at 1200 a day. Anyone else feel free to add me as well.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    MFP is a calculator. If you put in incorrect information when you set up your account, it gives you goals that aren't appropriate.

IE: 1200 calories.

They refuse to change it though, not sure why that is.

OP, follow the sexypants link. Same for the rest of ya.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    its bad to eat exercise cals ????
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200, but when I don't exercise, I'm more like 1400, no more than 1500-1600.
  • JolynedD
    JolynedD Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My goals are very similar to yours. I'm eating 1200 calories and trying to eat back calories burnt on my workout days. I'm down 20lbs since last month and I have about 90 more to go for my ultimate goal.

I workout 6 days a week starting this week. I was dong about 4-5 days and now I'm trying new classes at my gym to fill my schedule. I'm doing soo good and I don't ever want to look back.

I know my losing will start to slow down so I will need accountability as well and support. I would love for you to add me as a friend and anyone out there who is serious about this healthy lifestyle.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 cals.. and sometimes eat my exercise cals (I know.. it's bad).

How is eating exercise cals back bad?! O_o eating at 1200 cals is already bad enough (unless you're really short, thin and/or have a health issue).. NOT eating them back is bad!

As long as you eat above BMR (1200 cals is usually under BMR for most people) and below TDEE you will lose weight. No need to go to drastic measures. That default 1200 cal MFP setting is really crap.

Calculate BMR: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Calculate TDEE: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I'm not gonna beat the the dead horse on the 1200 cal topic, you guys do what you want (and you will anyway).. but don't beat yourself up for eating back those cals! That is how MFP is supposed to work. Your net keeps it to where you don't eat over. Just be aware that MFP likes to over estimate calories burned.. so setting your cals to TDEE and trying to eat that or a little under usually works better.

If anyone is struggling with the 1200 cal thing and to really wanting to do it because you are cranky, headachy etc I suggest you check out these threads because there are better ways.

In Place of a Road Map: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TDEE & BMR: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them

+1,000
  • nomoreyoyo67
    Options
    I am also on the 1200. If I eat more than that I gain. Feel free to add me:)
  • ShayShayFletch
    ShayShayFletch Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm in the 1200 club as well, feel free to add me.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My calories are 1200 calories and challenging myself during March Madness to get bikini ready. Please send me a message if you have 5-10 pounds weight loss to challenge each other.

Best,
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1220 (5'10 and 199.4 as of this am) I started at 224 just prior to Christmas, really didn't get serious aside from quitting drinking Dec 21st - and upping water intake, then Jan 3rd started atkins (I'd done it before) at 218.6 , wasn't happy with atkins this time found my way here and took some time to fine tune the goal (started higher 1550) I eat back for exercise consistently though and I exercise daily (I walk 5-7km a day) so I'm averaging more in the 1500-1600 range after exercise - I adjusted to 1220 to cover days i don't get the exercise because my work life is pretty sedentary (at a desk most of the day)
    Add me if you like, good luck with your goals either way
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1,200.

Oh, you mean for a whole day rather than breakfast? I'm out.

hahaha, pre diet me speaking above
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What do you mean 'You know it's bad?!)

Search 'eat more to weight less' in the forums. Believe it. Be happy :)
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I'm at 1200 cals.. and sometimes eat my exercise cals (I know.. it's bad).

No it's not bad, it's what you're supposed to do.

Although I eat a lot more so I don't really belong in this thread, but I just wanted to put your mind at ease. Women need to stop beating themselves up for eating.

This.
  • caringiscreepyx
    Options
    Hi all, Im pretty new to MFP and would love a few friends on here to keep me motivated! :bigsmile:
    At the moment i weigh 119lbs, trying to get down to 112, which doesn't seem a lot but have definitely hit a wall.
    Im 5 ft 5 and was, at my heaviest 158.2lbs, so i must be doing something right, just need help with this plateau!

Oh and my food diary is open to all friends!

Add me if you like :smile:
    christy x
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    so many new users... so much work to be done.

here:

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

this could help.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Food in take .... gotta exercise to earn more caloties :)
  • joannak4
    joannak4 Posts: 2
    Options
    1200 is my daily goal. I exercise 6 days a week and Sunday is my official rest day, although with 2 little boys there is a lot of unofficial running around.

I have to watch that I don't reward my hard work with an edible treat. I have not lost any weight yet, but I am noticing a difference in how my pants are fitting and I am feeling much stronger, so I know there is progress.

Support, and especially accountability are I what I need to reach my goal. My family is supportive but they are not necessarily the best at making me go to the gym or make the right food choices.

Please add me to the group!
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'd love to get added in. I've set up a goal of 1200 each day, and most days I have been sticking to it. I usually exercise every day and "earn back" more calories but I've been still sticking to the 1200 on most days (not all though, such as when we went on vacation and on a couple of days where there were parties or some other event). I've been on MFP for just a few weeks and have lost 6 lbs.
    However, I just had some minor surgery a few days ago so now sticking to that 1200 mark is really important to me because I can't exercise like I normally do and that makes me nervous. I can do some walking but that is it - no vigorous exercise or lifting stuff for 6 weeks. YIKES! The tracker really helps in recording the calorie counts and making me aware of how quickly it adds up.