HRM what do you use and why?

Options
Hi,

I thought of getting a fitbit one, but I don't see that it can monitor my heart and want to record calories burned accurately. So I am deciding to get a heart rate monitor.

I've been reading reviews from Amazon.com for the last couple of days. Anyone out there have a favorite heart rate monitor? Can you share with me what you are using if you are using a heart rate monitor and what you like/dislike about your heart rate monitor. Thanks everyone.

God bless.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor will only record accurately the calories for steady sate cardio. If you want to record all day calories then you need to look at a fitbit

I use a polar FT7 but the primary use isn't for calories my main use is for pacing and monitoring my HR and exertion for Running. The calorie feature is just a useful add on to me
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    Following. ..
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I use Garmin GPS devices (an Edge 800 for cycling, a Forerunner 620 for running and Nordic skiing) because I want to track where and how far I have gone as well as heart rate. Those products, and a few others from Garmin and Suunto, use a method developed by the Finnish company Firstbeat to estimate energy expenditure (calories burned); it's supposedly more accurate than the method used by most HRMs.

If you want to analyze daily activity, though, an HRM is not ideal. It's best for steady-state cardio that is at least moderate in intensity, and fairly useless for other activities. Plus you have to wear the strap all the time if you want to record your heart rate. For ordinary activity, a Fitbit etc. is better.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pink Polar FT4 yesterday. A blogger friend has used one for like a year and has lost a ton of weight. Obviously the HRM isn't the only reason why she lost the weight lol. But I asked her about it yesterday and she said she still LOVES it. It was really cheap compared to other ones, and it has great reviews.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have asked for the polar ft7 for my birthday on Friday after researching it seemed to suit my needs for price.
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar H7 because it links to my iPhone and using an app will sync with MFP after each workout so I don't have to log anything.
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It is all about when you want to use it and what you want to use it for. I dont monitor the full day, only the exercise activity.

A long time ago a bought a cheap tesco HRM, but not understanding what I was looking at and how I was setting it up, I started getting annoyed because it kept beeping at me telling me my heart was going to fast. I threw it away, not realising that it was working fine, it was me that wasnt.

When I started looking into things properly and understanding what it was all about, I considerd the fitbit, the polar (my sister has one) and the Garmin, but It really is an individual thing, a Garmin wouldnt suit my sister as she does classes and indoor activity rather than outdoor so there is no need for the GPS, but as I go outdoors and indoors I wanted the GPS.

I now use the Garmin 220 with strap. When outside running, walking or cycling it provides a map, steps cadence, pace and heartrate including zones. If I am on the treadmill it still works as though I am outside but without GPS (so no need for a map) and if I'm doing other indoor activity such as the stationary bike, eliptical trainer, rowing marchine or just weights, I put it on training and still get my calories burned based on heartrate and can adjust my workout based on what zone I am looking to train in.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pink Polar FT4 yesterday. A blogger friend has used one for like a year and has lost a ton of weight. Obviously the HRM isn't the only reason why she lost the weight lol. But I asked her about it yesterday and she said she still LOVES it. It was really cheap compared to other ones, and it has great reviews.

I just bought one yesterday (gray, not pink) to replace a cheaper model. It's exactly what I needed. It allows me to enter my personal max HR rather than using a generic formula, it calculates average HR, and it tracks total calories for a workout. Overall it's motivating me to keep my HR up and it's giving me some confidence that I'm getting a reasonable estimate of calories burned.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I was using a cheap one before (always with chest strap) stopping to take your pulse takes so much away so it's pointless to me...chest strap's a must here.... But cheap ones have the strap in thick rubber (oh god! so not fun to wear).

So I got myself the Polar FT4 (silver-grey one). It does EVERYTHING i need. The chest strap is in fabric, so so much more fun to wear. Easy to use too. (only thing was the beep sound but you can shut it off in the settings so lol).

It's very accurate too and not too expensive. (My opinion... Polar,Garmin and Suunto are the best ones). I have friends using all these different brand and they are all happy. But some are very high tech and expensive...which i don't need.
  • Shelle58704
    Shelle58704 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. I love that I can upload my stuff to my computer and see progress over time. I had to buy a special USB thingy for that.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I use my my phone to monitor the HRM at the moment.

Did have a motoactv and tempted to get one again.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 user here too. I love it. It allows you to put in your age/weight/sex etc so it gives you a more accurate calorie burn when exercising. You do have to wear the chest strap with the module, because that is how it communicates to the watch. Unlike a FitBit, where you just wear it on your wrist.

I liked the FT7 because it had calorie tracking, a "heart rate zone", which tells you if you are in fat burning mode, or fitness mode. That was helpful to me. The only thing I wish it did have was a distance meter, so if I'm walking or jogging etc, I could know how far I have traveled. That to me is the only downside though. It's a fantastic tool for the price.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

I liked the FT7 because it had calorie tracking, a "heart rate zone", which tells you if you are in fat burning mode, or fitness mode. That was helpful to me. The only thing I wish it did have was a distance meter, so if I'm walking or jogging etc, I could know how far I have traveled. That to me is the only downside though. It's a fantastic tool for the price.

If you have a smartphone, check out MapMyRun or one of the similar apps that use GPS. You'll find some minor inaccuracies but they're fairly close at estimating distance and speed. And they're free.
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60. Works great.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm a Polar FT7 user. I've had it for a couple of years. Everything I've read is that the chest strap is a real plus for accuracy since you wear it so much closer to your heart. I really like having one HRM so no matter what exercise or machine I'm on, I have consistent readings and am not relying on every machine to be accurate.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT6 that I wear while cycling and when I am on an elliptical trainer. It is not perfect, but it is more accurate than the MFP database for me. It averages 150 -175 calories less than the database, and about 50 cals less than the elliptical trainer.
  • karenh
    karenh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a very inexpensive Pyle HRM with chest strap just to use while working out and I enter the calories on MFP. It cost under $30. It kind of seems to be high on calories burned, but maybe it's accurate and as I have adjusted my weight down and my workouts have become easier it is reducing the calories burned for the same workout. I just don't eat back most of the calories and it's working out well for me. I feel very accomplished seeing the calories burned #. Here is the link..

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PHRM34-Monitor-Running-Walking/dp/B004RQR54C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393244510&sr=8-1&keywords=heart+rate+monitor
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm another Polar FT7 user and flip flopped back and forth about getting one for at least 18 months (mainly due to price and the fact that we live in a constant state of broke) but then my mom finally got me one as an early valentines day present and I love it. It's so simple to set up and use and the calorie counts are so much lower than what MFP has been telling me for years that it's no wonder I've been stalled for awhile, I've been eating too damn much! However, I do still want a fitbit or Nike fuel band to help me better track overall daily movement to help remind me to not be so lazy the rest of here day.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR60. There is a newer model out now, but I've been using mine for over 2 years and have replaced the battery twice. It has a chest strap. I am a runner so it shows me calories burned, but I also use it when I do an indoor bootcamp-like workout, I also use it if I am doing snow shoveling or heavy gardening. I want to justify every calorie burned! I can upload the info to my computer.