Eating Disorder Recovery Help!

Hello, this is my first ever time posting something like this so please be nice!

I have been suffering with not eating properly for quite a few months now (around 9) at the start I was eating around 300 calories a day. I know that's not healthy. In December I decided to start recovery and I upped my intake to around 500-600 calories a day. It was good and I was feeling happier and healthier. However, a few weeks back I relapsed and now my metabolism is all over the place (no matter how little calories I eat, I gain weight) so I've decided to take the plunge and start eating 1000 calories a day! (Please don't tell me I need to be eating more, I'm terrified of this amount!) I am 5'4 - 5'5 and 124lbs which I think is a healthy weight for my age. I'm also a rower and I do around 1 hour of exercise a day. So my question is, how long do you think it will take for my metabolism to get back to normal? I've read things where people have started loosing weight healthily again after 2-3 weeks but I've read other things where people have said it's going to take 3 months!

Please please please help I'm very confused and I just want help :/

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I strongly urge you to get professional help with this. 1000 calories is not recovery, even if you were doing no exercise. You will be doing serious damage to your body. Well done for seeking help here, but you really need to see someone in real life, a professional, to get proper help. :flowerforyou:
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    At what weight did you start? I find what you are writing very hard to believe, sorry. You survived for 9 months on 300 calories per day, with also 1 hour exercise per day? Lots of drs would be very interested to study your body, if this was true.

To add: Regardless of how accurate what you wrote is, you need professional help. You can and will get people to tell you what you want to hear online, if you look hard enough, but the next thing you will know is you being committed to the hospital against your will. You need to get off the internet, and talk with a psychiatrist. At your age, I am guessing most probably you are in some type of school still, so look if there is a counsellor who can point you to the right way to get help.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    I strongly urge you to get professional help with this. 1000 calories is not recovery, even if you were doing no exercise. You will be doing serious damage to your body. Well done for seeking help here, but you really need to see someone in real life, a professional, to get proper help. :flowerforyou:

This is good advice, I would however say eating 1000 calories a day is certainly a good step to recovery indeed. I'm not going to lecture you on how what you are doing isn't healthy as lets face it you already know that! All I'd say is aim to hit that 1000 calories as best as you can. Then if you can, I'd suggest upping it 1100 for another week or two, then 1200 etc.

Do you row in a club/team or is it a rowing machine in a gym/home? Just saying cos if you are into your rowing you will 100% find that your performance will increase dramatically with some more food in you.

Also I would further echo what was said earlier and that I would advise seeking advice from a medical professional. I know that can be hard, having suffered from an ED myself. If you refuse to do that, just try and make each day better than the last, get friends on here, feel motivated. Be healthy.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    At what weight did you start? I find what you are writing very hard to believe, sorry. You survived for 9 months on 300 calories per day, with also 1 hour exercise per day? Lots of drs would be very interested to study your body, if this was true.

Saying something like that is really not helpful for someones first post especially when its regarding an eating disorder.
  • LKArgh
    No one can survive for 9 months and be active on 300 calories per day, and also no one notice and have this person hospitalised. I am not saying she did not do some extreme dieting, and the post screams "eating disorder", but there are some things that are simply not possible. She is making an irrational claim - surviving on 300 calories and being fit, and then expects people to tell her how great she is doing now at 1000 calories. It is exactly what she wants to hear, but it is not what she needs, or she will end up dead.
  • At what weight did you start? I find what you are writing very hard to believe, sorry. You survived for 9 months on 300 calories per day, with also 1 hour exercise per day? Lots of drs would be very interested to study your body, if this was true.

Actually this isn't uncommon. Many people with eating disorders survive on very little for extended periods of time smh
    Its no where near impossible.

So OP, I encourage you to get professional help. I struggled with an eating disorder for 5 years and only when i stepped out and started getting help did things start to get better. Best of luck <3
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    You do need to eat more but NOT YET! Going up to a thousand is a huge step for you! Be proud of it and I hope you manage to maintain it!

Everybody's body is different though and when your metabolism evens out is entirely down to your metabolism. It's been starved so it is naturally eager to stockpile as much as it can, but give it time. 1000 calories is a big shock for your brain, that needs time to come around to it, why think any other part of your body is any different. It takes as long as it takes. Sorry, I can't be more specific than that.

*big hugs*
  • Basically I would eat that then binge then eat that then binge. Recently I've gained about 10lbs and in the summer I was around 113lbs. Sorry if you find me hard to believe:/
  • LKArgh
    Eating, binging, purging etc, is a different story. And I repeat for the third time, get help from a professional.There are people who will tell you you are doing awesome now at 1000 calories and you do not need help. I know it must be nice to hear this, but it is not what you need. You are asking random people to replace a psychiatrist. You will get advice that is well-meaning but ignorant, advice from people with their own issues in no position to aid anyone, advice from people who have been there, advice that is helpful, but how are you going to filter all this? You are going to be happy with the advice that agrees with what you want to do, and this is dangerous.
  • ruderx
    ruderx Posts: 9 Member
    No one can survive for 9 months and be active on 300 calories per day, and also no one notice and have this person hospitalised. I am not saying she did not do some extreme dieting, and the post screams "eating disorder", but there are some things that are simply not possible. She is making an irrational claim - surviving on 300 calories and being fit, and then expects people to tell her how great she is doing now at 1000 calories. It is exactly what she wants to hear, but it is not what she needs, or she will end up dead.

This is such an insensitive thing to say and most certainly not irrational.

Tell me, how do you know that the human body cannot survive on 300 calories a day whilst remaining fit and healthy? There are plenty of living examples completely contrary to your statement. Myself being one of them. I've studied nutritional science for 6 years now and it is very well possible. It puts your organs, bones and muscles under intense strain amongst other problems, raising a long list of other physical and mental health ailments but it doesn't mean you still can't function.
    Eating disorders fall under the category of mental health disorders which effect a person physically and so if somebody suffering from one is able to look at their diet/lifestyle with perspective and incite. Leading them into recovery ( which is undoubtedly one of THE MOST FEARED THINGS an eating disorder sufferer can do, often MORE FEARED THAN DEATH) then they do indeed deserve as much support and encouragement from taking a huge step to eating healthily once more.
  • LKArgh

This is such an insensitive thing to say and most certainly not irrational.

Tell me, how do you know that the human body cannot survive on 300 calories a day whilst remaining fit and healthy? There are plenty of living examples completely contrary to your statement. Myself being one of them. I've studied nutritional science for 6 years now and it is very well possible. It puts your organs, bones and muscles under intense strain amongst other problems, raising a long list of other physical and mental health ailments but it doesn't mean you still can't function.
    Eating disorders fall under the category of mental health disorders which effect a person physically and so if somebody suffering from one is able to look at their diet/lifestyle with perspective and incite. Leading them into recovery ( which is undoubtedly one of THE MOST FEARED THINGS an eating disorder sufferer can do, often MORE FEARED THAN DEATH) then they do indeed deserve as much support and encouragement from taking a huge step to eating healthily once more.

You have studied nutritional science for 6 years, you are surviving on 300 calories per day, you need to lose 100 lbs based on your profile ticker and you are 19 years old again based on profile and photo??? Ok...
    And OP, this is why you do not seek advice on the internet for serious health issues. Because you will get the advice of people studying nutritional science from the ripe age of 13, and needing to lose 100 lbs on a 300 calorie diet.
    OP, you are young, you have your whole life ahead of you, you deserve at least someone to listen to you and to be qualified to help.
  • I found this site for you http://www.eatingdisorderfreedomcoach.com/treatment/portfolio/reset-your-metabolism-after-disordered-eating

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to message me.
  • rachnado
    rachnado Posts: 16 Member
    The best advice I could give is to see a doctor. If you are still gaining weight on such few calories there might be a medical issue along with your eating disorder. I wish you the best.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member

As someone who is in recovery for an ED, I can tell you that kind of comment is hurtful and can be detrimental to a person's well being. Before I sought treatment, a comment like this could have triggered a binge.

People with EDs need non-judgemental support, not condescension.

_perfectly_thin -- I know what it's like to struggle with an ED and I admire you for seeking help but I think that talking to your doctor and letting him/her know you're reading to start the healing process should be the first step in your journey towards recovery.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    1000 calories per day sounds accurate for you RIGHT NOW. Eat that. Stay off the scale. (I know this is the hardest part, but weighing yourself isn't going to do any good... You don't need to be triggered to eat less because you gain 2 lbs of water weight. Please please please stay off the scale.) Try to add 100 calories every 2 weeks or so. You will gain weight initially, that happens. A lot of the weight won't stay on once your body adjusts. You just need to be as patient as possible, and you need to keep battling to do the right thing to get healthy. If you follow the steps in the link posted by ForeverFit, it might help. It could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months for your body to adapt, but you have to keep treating it right.

You certainly don't need to be concerned with LOSING weight until you get healthy again. This means getting healthy mentally - you may get back to eating a healthy number of calories, but there's a very high chance of you slipping into extreme restriction again when you try to lose weight. You need to address the root of your issues. Seek professional help (also hard, but so important) and find friends you can talk to about your behaviors and triggers.

Best of luck to you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    Basically I would eat that then binge then eat that then binge. Recently I've gained about 10lbs and in the summer I was around 113lbs. Sorry if you find me hard to believe:/
    Bingeing is kinda inevitable in this scenario. You need to talk to someone for a good strategy for recovery, period.
  • ruderx
    You have studied nutritional science for 6 years, you are surviving on 300 calories per day, you need to lose 100 lbs based on your profile ticker and you are 19 years old again based on profile and photo??? Ok...
    And OP, this is why you do not seek advice on the internet for serious health issues. Because you will get the advice of people studying nutritional science from the ripe age of 13, and needing to lose 100 lbs on a 300 calorie diet.
    OP, you are young, you have your whole life ahead of you, you deserve at least someone to listen to you and to be qualified to help.

You read my ticker wrong. I'm getting down to 100lbs, not losing 100, don't be ludicrous. I didn't say it was a good thing either, I said that it causes great strain on the body and that in no way indicates that I support it. She deserves support be is professional and or not.

Yes, I have been studying it from the ripe age of 13 and it seems I know an awful lot more about it than you, not that you were reverting to making an individual attack on my studies due to lack of argument.
  • ayumi_
    ayumi_ Posts: 50
    First of all, STOP COUNTING YOUR CALORIES. Like, completely. Delete this app, and never return again.

You have disordered eating behaviors that are clearly being perpetuated by your calorie counting. Your weight is completely normal & I wouldn't be surprised if that's the weight your body feels most comfortable at. Trying to manipulate it to be smaller will be a continuous struggle for the rest of your life because anything less than that weight is not natural for you.

Please learn to love yourself as you are, start listening to your body and eating when you're truly hungry. If you have binge eating issues as well, those are most likely due to feelings of deprivation, inadequacy, and diet obsession. So allow yourself to eat what you want, give yourself full permission to just eat when you're hungry, and learn to love yourself & treat yourself with love and care. I promise if you continue dieting it will absolutely not pay off, & will probably land you in a really bad place in the future.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member

You read my ticker wrong. I'm getting down to 100lbs, not losing 100, don't be ludicrous. I didn't say it was a good thing either, I said that it causes great strain on the body and that in no way indicates that I support it. She deserves support be is professional and or not.

Yes, I have been studying it from the ripe age of 13 and it seems I know an awful lot more about it than you, not that you were reverting to making an individual attack on my studies due to lack of argument.
    Stop talking, seek some help yourself. You probably would have been better of knowing nothing about nutrition because it seems to have fueled an eating disorder, or partially.
  • ruderx
    Who are you to tell me to stop talking, I'm free to voice my opinion just as much as anyone else. I am very aware of my own disordered eating and eat far more than 300 calories a day now. I was speaking from experience. You have right of way in tell me to stop talking.