Too much sugar hindering weight loss?

Options
i've been on this site for 10 days now, they have me eating a 1200 calorie diet, and though i don't ever go over my calories i'm always WAY over in my sugar for the day. i've only lost 2 lbs, and nothing at all for 5 days, could the sugars be stopping me from losing weight?

Replies

• rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When sugar metabolizes, it becomes fat. So yes, if you're eating too much sugar you won't lose weight.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    When sugar metabolizes, it becomes fat. So yes, if you're eating too much sugar you won't lose weight.

I really like your rewards!! I may have to copy this =]
  • aalekova
    Options
    2lbs a week is good. i lost 25 pounds so far eating excess of sugar but worked out hard. Your body needs sugar (carbs) otherwise you'll get sick.
  • CeciHarper
    Options
    I myself am a GIGANTA-HUGE fan of sugar... BUT... what do you want more? To lose weight or sugar? That's what I tell myself... So instead of that cup of Rocky Road Ice cream I'll eat frozen, fat free [sugar free] cool whip... it's like ice cream... tastes just as good & without all of that sugar... It just has to be a personal decision... Sugar will keep the fat in your body... it sucks, but it does. So maybe try buying that 2 pack of Resees, cut one in 1/2 eat it slow & give the other cup away! Just some pointers that are helping me fight off my sugar cravings... but once you get away from the sugar it will get easier to resist it! Keep your head up!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I was eating up to about 100g of sugar and was still losing weight fairly easily but I also work out 6x/day at least an hour every day, eat 1400 base, plus all exercise calories.

Now I'm eating no more than about 60g of sugar and I feel better than I was before... Recommended is 40g of sugar. Make sure your sugars come from natural sources. Fruits and veggies... watch out for high fructose corn syrup which is in EVERYTHING from soda to bread, also beware of "diet" foods that contain aspartame, glucose, and other fake sugars.

If it's mainly from fruits, beware of which fruits you're consuming. Best for you are berries. They're lower in sugar and high in antioxidants and great vitamins.
  • jwerdlike
    jwerdlike Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    but your body can get sugar from say fruit, which is going to be much more nutrient dense than desert or a can of coke. as long as you aren't working out like crazy, you can limit your carb to around 100-150grams a day, instead of the 200-300garms people usually eat and you will notice results almost instantly. especially if your body is used to eating a lot of carbs..
  • melissaptx
    Options
    I looked at your diary and most of your sugar is coming from highly processed foods - candy, McD's apple pies, iced animal crackers, ice cream.....try to get your sugar fix from natural sources, like fresh fruit.
  • HerbieSue
    Options
    While in WW we only counted calories so I was having a hard time losing my last ten pounds, but after starting this site and keeping track of my sugar as well as calories, I was able to get down to my WW goal weight. I saw Jorge Cruise on the Today Show talking about too much sugar being bad for you so I try to keep it down to 15 grams a day as he suggests. It is really helping me to finally lose my "belly pooch"!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and most of your sugar is coming from highly processed foods - candy, McD's apple pies, iced animal crackers, ice cream.....try to get your sugar fix from natural sources, like fresh fruit.

This!

I was losing weight okay before without paying much attention to my sugar, but now that I'm not eating processed foods (for the most part) and I've cut out processed sugars, I feel so much better - more energy, etc. For me, it's not about how sugar affects my weight loss, but how it affects my body/health in general.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Sugar will do that. If you are craving it, try organic apple cider vinegar to get thet carb monster under control. you can read about it here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/83045-apple-cider-vinegar-helps-conquer-carb-cravings