Calories needed to maintain

Options
I HAVE DISCOVERED THE FORUMS. This is my 3rd post today :D
So how did those of you in maintenance find the calories needed for you to maintain? Trial and error?

I had been eating about 1300-1400 calories and maintaining. Then, even though I didn't do anything different I started to lose weight. I upped my calories to 1500 and then started gaining.

I dont think it is just fluctuations because I lost gradually 1, 2, 3 pounds and then maintained that for 2 months and then I started gaining and I am currently gaining slowly at 1450. I track all my food using a food scale except for stuff like lettuce and spinach (i estimate cups).

I don't want to lose, or gain! Will I just go up and down forever, or can I stabilize somehow?

Replies

• shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you are talking 2-3 even 5 pounds, you will fluctuate forever. It is what human bodies do. We are really mostly water and that water weight will always fluctuate our weight based on sooo many things. Don't worry about just a few pounds here and there. I am maintaining within 5 or so pounds and have been slowly increasing my calories from about 13-1400 to 16-1800 and up. I am 5'3" and 47 years old so if your younger you should be able to eat even more possibly. Do some strength training to increase muscle mass so you burn more calories at rest (higher metabolism) and you can eat more! :D Be healthy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I set MFP to maintain rather than lose and made adjustments as necessary.

You are going to have fluctuations, your weight isn't static...I basically fluctuate anywhere from 178 to 185 with my average being around 182. I usually dip really low after a long ride and my weight usually spikes on Wednesdays after my first heavy lifting session of the week which occur on Tuesday nights.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile you look quite underweight, you might want to think about increasing your calories and doing some strength training so you can add mass while still maintaining a lean look. This will also allow you to eat more calories on maintenance.
  • Ellyssandra
    Options
    I understand fluctuations, but my clothes feel tighter and looser as well :/
    I usually wear pretty tight clothes, so It's clear to me when i lose or gain weight. When I was 3 pounds down, but pants were definitely looser and now as I'm gaining I feel them getting tighter.

Do I just keep adjusting my calories up or down depending on if my weight is going up or down?
  • dslevin54
    Options
    your too skinny. you need to eat!
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I understand fluctuations, but my clothes feel tighter and looser as well :/
    I usually wear pretty tight clothes, so It's clear to me when i lose or gain weight. When I was 3 pounds down, but pants were definitely looser and now as I'm gaining I feel them getting tighter.

Do I just keep adjusting my calories up or down depending on if my weight is going up or down?

Maybe, as a 20 year old, and not a teen, you need to look at your clothing sizes. Not to gain weight, but to realize you shouldn't have a teenage body any more. Try to just be the healthiest you can, and maybe your body is saying you need to fill out a little bit. :)

And yes, I adjust my calories when I feel I'm creeping up a bit. I don't like to eat the exact same every day anyway, and so, if I have some lower calorie days, it balances out the higher calorie days, and hence balances out my weight. :)
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    1500-2500 depending on how active you are. anything under 1500 is honestly too low. I mean 1200 is the recommended daily amount for a 2 year old. your weight changes through out the day. so look for a weight range not a set number. I know how scary weight gain is but you need it in order to be healthy. also going by measurements or jean size rather then numbers can help helpful.

at my lowest I wore a kids size 8 as a 20 year old which is very unhealthy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If 3 lbs makes such a difference then maybe you should wear bigger clothes?!
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    You look young and Beautiful, no doubt. but looks like you need some more weight or muscle. alot of women are into lifting. just check out the profiles you will see what their doing. so prob up your calories and get a strength program started.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I fluxuate between 115 and 120. sometimes more during my TOM.
    I don't worry about it unless it seems to be more than that for more than a week or two.
  • em1773
    em1773 Posts: 10
    Options
    This fluctuation can be due to water weight (have you been eating extra sodium?) your PMS or constipation (TMI, I know). I am eating around the same calories as you and I have found that after a period of restriction the body gains weight a bit easier, but it should all balance out.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    No offence, but if that is you in your profile picture, you look to be quite underweight, and should be looking to gain weight, not maintain.
    And it seems a few others here agree.
    I do not know if you have an eating disorder or not, but you do not look to be at a healthy size.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes, weight means there's mass there - water (which takes space) or fat or muscle. When your weight goes up or down, you will change size. It's bloat. And it will always be there. That's how bodies work. Keep your calories stable if you aren't on a clear upward or downward path that lasts a month.
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Omg stop saying she's "underweight", she looks fine. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

But OP, you need to be eating more than 1450 to maintain, depending on your weight I'd say anywhere between 1800-2000. Your weight WILL fluctuate, thats totally normal. You're not gaining fat, its just water or a food baby. Don't be afraid to eat. The best thing to do is to up your calories gradually. Say, one week up it to 1500, then a few weeks later 1600, and so on. The goal is to eat the most you can to get a good metabolism going without gaining weight.

It might also be a good idea to weight train or take up yoga or pilates a few times per week to put on some lean muscle!

That's just my advice, I'm not a professional so I don't want anybody bashing me.