strength training for core

Options
How can I improve core strength with strength training? It seems to me that some of the machines DO affect/use the core. I can also do free weights. So which exercises (on either machine or free) should I incorporate?

Replies

• jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    deadlifts and squats. start light and build up. cable core twists, hanging knee raises, reverse hyperextensions.........
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Get ups and Half get ups, using ever increasing amounts of weight. Also, simple things like Up & Downs. Pretty much anything that causes you to change planes is going to work your core in some fashion.
  • logan_t
    logan_t Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    deadlifts and squats. start light and build up. cable core twists, hanging knee raises, reverse hyperextensions.........

Yep, and by light, he means **LIGHT** - There is absolutely no shame in starting with the bar. Better to start at and stick with just the bar than hurting yourself by starting/progressing too fast.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    How can I improve core strength with strength training?

Why do you think your core isn't strong?

Also, what does the rest of your strength training routine involve?
  • Jersey_GirlSpins
    Jersey_GirlSpins Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    While I'm lifting free weights during my arm workouts, I stand on a bosu ball at the gym. It forces me to stabilize my body using my core, getting two workouts at once.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Because of your age, you may want to go easy on the weights until you talk to your doctor, or at least start low and work your way up. Also, if you have less than perfect posture, this is your start point. Yoga, the balance ball, and Pilates are also good for working your core.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    While I'm lifting free weights during my arm workouts, I stand on a bosu ball at the gym. It forces me to stabilize my body using my core, getting two workouts at once.

okay dont do this...
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options

okay dont do this...

Agreed. You're not getting two workouts at once. You're watering down one workout while needlessly exhausting other muscle groups in a manner that does not promote growth or change in your body. Never forget the basic rule. Work the muscle, not the movement.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

Please fire your PT before you become a gym meme!
    5418989_700b.jpg