Should I get a HRM??

Options
I am struggling with my weightloss but am unsure about spending $100 on an HRM unless it would be beneficial

Replies

• dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your fitness plan is. If you'll be doing "classes", "videos", or cardio machines, yeah, it's a good way to estimate calorie burn for just the period of your workout.

For weight training they are of no value.

If you are going to be walking, swimming, hiking, or any other long-term not high intensity activity, you'd be better off using something like a Fitbit or Bodymedia.

Of course, you don't NEED anything. You can just use MFP's calorie burn estimates... just be aware that you'll probably have the best results if you only count about 50%-75% of the calories "burned".
  • jbwent
    jbwent Posts: 27
    Options
    An activity monitor would be better like the fitbit or jawbone. I use the lifetrak c410 and it's great. It tracks everything steps,distance,calories,workout,sleep all on it's screen and it doubles as a watch so I don't realize I'm wearing it all the time. No charging, no app needed to see progress, has an app for ipad or iphone. $70 costco.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing T25 as a workout but after 7 weeks I have no loss. I haven't checked my measurements for a month but my waist didn't get smaller.

With all the calorie calculators online I can't figure out why my TDEE - 20% is 1950 but eating 1800 calories for a few weeks has done nothing

Jbwent, a girl at work has a fitbit but she's doing no real exercise. If I do T25 how will it track the calories burned? I know it's all a guess but does it work like guessing calories burned on MFP?

I am also waiting on results from a thyroid test
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If I do T25 how will it track the calories burned?

As poorly as anything else.

Look, the reality is that if you are at a T25 level of fitness, 30 minutes of exercise isn't going to burn a meaningful number of calories anyway. Avoid the error potential, and don't worry about tracking the burn.
  • jamesseay1
    jamesseay1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes! They are motivating and helps you achieve your goals more easily.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm not EXACTLY at a T25 level of fitness. I modify a lot. But as of this morning I am essentially only 1 lb less than I was 7 weeks ago and I need to figure out WTH I'm doing wrong.

If my test results come out normal, I am out of ideas on what to do...... other than switch straight to weights only.