Polar F6 - good HRM to invest in?

Options
Looking for an HRM, have zeroed in on the Polar F6 - I like that it shows calories and fat % burned, the ability to track short and long-term goals, and that it won't interfere with other HRMs.

Is this a good buy? (about $100 on Amazon!)

Thanks!
-Molly

Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    PS. I've never used a HRM, will the chest strap be irritating? Do I need to gel you are supposed to put underneath it? Will it work while wearing a sports bra? (that's a must!)
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 and feel it was a great investment. Prior to buying it, I had never used an HRM and this one was easy to operate and set up. The chest strap has never irritated me and I wear it under my sports bra; the bra actually helps keep it in place better! Oh, and nothing needed to put under it; just make sure you wet the contacts-the instructions on where to wet the strap are in the instruction booklet.

I think you'd like it if you bought it!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    PS. I've never used a HRM, will the chest strap be irritating? Do I need to gel you are supposed to put underneath it? Will it work while wearing a sports bra? (that's a must!)

I have no problem with it. I have a polar brand too. I have been wearing it almost daily for 1.5 years and no issue with iritation or annoyance. I wear it just under my sports bra strap.

I have the FT60 but I have heard a lot of good reviews about the F6. Polar is a great company to work with too.

PS...No gel needed.
  • Squash97
    Options
    I just got the Polar F6 last week from Amazon. So far I love it! The chest strap isn't even noticealbe, especially once you start exercising. So far so good! :)
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    The chest strap does not bother me at all, I like that it is hidden. I have the F11 and LOVE it! I got it for $90 on Ebay...
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've been using mine for the last 2 months or so and I love it!! And no, gel is not required. Just run the electrodes under the faucet 'til they're wet and stick it on. The strap is weird at first but you don't feel it after a little while.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have an FT60, which has many of the same features, and I love it. It really helps motivate me in my workouts.

The chest strap is totally comfortable to me, though it may be different for women. My wife and my mother both use the same HRM and i've not heard them complain about the chest strap. We've never used gel, and it's never been a problem.

I'm sure you'll love it!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Polar F6. I had gotten another brand and after fiddling with it for 2 HOURS and still not knowing how to work it I returned it and ordered the F6. In fact Arielle answered some questions for me. I ordered it and got it the very next day. It took me 15 MINUTES to set up ... I have used it twice now and it's SO cool. You will love it!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I love my F6 - 2 yrs in. Do not get lower than a 6 - you want to be sure it is coded to your watch / strap so ti does not pick up other HRMs or machines around you. The lower models are not coded.

The F11 has a nicer / more comfortable strap - less plastic and more elastic strap, but the F6 is not uncomfortable. It might be more uncomfortable to men since they are not used to a bra strap there already. You can't tell it's there really. The only time i have ever had it be a problem is in Bow pose in yoga. :)

The 11 also has additional features like a lap counter / timer I think. I did not need all of the extra features. The 6 is great, and you can hold it near your computer mic and transfer the info to an online tracking calendar thing. I dont use it because I enter here, but it's cool. I found the cal count to be very accurate too. Of course, I can't tell if it is spot on because i have nothing to compare against, but it is very consistent and the #s it provide make sense to what i would expect to burn. The best way to wet the nodes is to lick them. The salt in the spit works better as a conductor than wetting with tap water.

Shop and ask around too. Unless money is coming out your armpits, you don't want to buy at ****s (LOL it censored/ starred out "D I C K" like.. the sporting store) or anything - you will pay like $30 more there than ebay or amazon and sometimes gyms have instructors who can get them at cost or a little over. I got mine for $75 at cost from an instructor. $100 is good.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    hmmm.... how the heck did I manage to do that?