I often feel super depressed after exercise.. why?

Options
I suffer from depression and anxiety. EVERY SINGLE DOCTOR I've seen says "EXERCISE!" But a lot of the time I feel incredibly down after working out. Like it has the opposite effect on me. What gives?

Am I a freak?

Case in point - right now. Just did a 37 minute intense workout and feel like crying and crawling into a hole.

Replies

• nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    No, you are not a freak!

I am suffering from dysthymia and I experienced similar feelings. It could also be that it is linked to your anxiety, in that case I don't feel informed enough to talk about it.
    In general I'd like to post this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1198789-how-to-stay-motivated-while-being-depressed-after-a-relapse

And mention: Maybe, you are over exercising. You said, that you had an intense workout. Maybe, this is too much.
    Whenever I am "in my hole" I experience a great lack of energy. Not only that my mind doesn't want to, I feel extremely tired, sore and my condition is horrible. And the workouts I used to do which made me feel strong and like I accomplished something, just made me feel horrible (because I couldn't do them properly) and I felt so weak and my body hurt and it was just "uuuuughhhhh"

In general, yes, exercise IS necessary and Iwould not stop. It makes a huge difference and is linked to changes in our brain which work towards overcoming the depression etc. So I can only say, continue. But maybe, not too intense.
    This is not a torture, you know. It should make you feel good.

And even if it is "less productive" for weightloss or something similar; this is about your health and that is the most important thing.
    Maybe try some yoga or spinning or dancing or something like this? :flowerforyou:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Does working out free your mind to ruminate on things or cycle negative thoughts?

I find swimming good for organising things in my mind (particularly when studying) but when I am depressed, I have a whole hour to reflect on what a terrible person I am.

ETA: you don't sound like a freak.
  • amandahandstand
    amandahandstand Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, I thought I was the only one! I also have trouble willing myself to exercise in the first place; I hate being seen while I walk/jog/etc., and I don't have the option of visiting a gym/doing any 'paid' form of exercise. I often have anxiety attacks pre-exercising that stop me from even going out for that walk in the first place.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Like it has the opposite effect on me. What gives?

I have a feeling that it might relate to what sort of exercise you do, different exercises suit different people. Personally speaking I can't stand training in a gym, I find that I feel bored and frustrated by the end.

I far prefer running, swimming or cycling, as they all help me deal with stress.

Might be worth thinking about
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Do you have a set plan walking in? I feel odd when my plan gets interrupted. I can't lift without knowing what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. I have goals, focus, and direction. I know exactly what I'm there to do.

FWIW, lifting completely cured my anxiety and I havent taken klonopin in nearly a year. Im not saying it will work that way for you, but, its not impossible. My attacks were pretty severe and quite often.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I'm curious whether it's partly due to a drop in blood sugar..?

When you get the depression after exercising, how long does it last?
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    More times than not I usually feel good after exercise, helps me to feel relaxed and I can let go of some stress, but sometimes like you I do feel depressed...other times I actually feel mad, grumpy and moody. I have yet to figure out when I get depressed or mad as to why. I could actually feel fine when I start this exercise and within 15-30 minutes after I'm done feel depressed or mad and I could fight that feeling all day once it hits. Don't know why, wish I could help, but it might help just to know you aren't alone and other people do feel that way sometimes.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    USUALLY I feel better after a workout but SOMETIMES this happens to me as well. Even when I over-exert myself, it is not always predictable whether I will feel better or worse. I've always assumed that the hormones at play are not always going to work the same way.

Another way I've seen it affect people differently is hunger level. For me, almost every workout curbs my appetite for quite a while. Other people get hungrier after a workout. Again, I assume it's a hormone or biological factor at play.

I'm not really sure what I'm getting at other than... not everyone is the same, and not everyone has the same biological reaction to exercise.
  • ILoveBreakfast671
    ILoveBreakfast671 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I get super depressed after I crashed from 1, 3 dimethylamylamine. Now it's a banned substance. lol

I don't know your situation though.
  • Mydailytrack
    Mydailytrack Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you to pick workouts based on your interests. Not all workouts are meant for everyone. These days I only do those workouts that I enjoy such as zumba, yoga, pilates, body sculpting, etc. I have stopped treadmills, cycling, eliptical, etc, coz I never enjoyed them and it took a lot of effort to get myself to gym those days. Now, with this new routine, I don't need that extra push and I am normally satisfied when I am done with the sessions. I also go out for outdoor walking when the weather permits. Try to have a workout buddy.. this helps a lot too. Reward yourself with something non-food related whenever you feel like you have accomplished something in your fitness goals.. Let the change of routine set-in for a good amount of time, say a month or two, and eventually you will see that you are beginning to feel better :smile:
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    +1 to all the suggestions for making sure you're doing exercise that you enjoy, at a reasonable level of intensity.

And the commenter who noted that when you're depressed, exercise time can turn into time where you beat up on yourself...it's a good angle to consider.

Are you beating up on yourself during your workouts? Do you berate yourself or talk down to yourself internally?
    Afterwards, what exactly are you upset about? The quality of your workout? Where you are relative to your long-term goals?

I've struggled with depression for many years, and find my self-talk can get pretty horrible. I notice your start/goal weights are very similar to mine. It's a long-term project, and depression can make it really hard to be kind to yourself along the way - yet you need to figure out how to do just that.

Trust that exercise will help. Not as a magic pill, not on a specified timeframe. Just trust that it will help lift you gradually over time, same as fueling your body regularly, and getting a decent amount of sleep.

Look closely at what you're saying to yourself, and maybe try pretending someone else posted those feelings in a forum post requesting help. What kind, helpful things would you say?

I don't know your specific situation, yet definitely encourage you to work out the underlying "why" of your upset. Go ahead & cry - figure out what it's about...then you can deal with it, and prevent it from biting you in the *kitten* later.

Lastly, know that whatever exercise you do, you're doing LAPS around anyone who's still on the couch. Screw "best workout type, best timing, etc." - just find something that works for you. And if you need a bit of comfort on how/why that's perfectly okay, read this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html

You can do this. Really, you can :flowerforyou:
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The only time I don't feel good after a workout is when I get this weird phenomenon that happens when I work out in the cold. Yesterday, I went for a nice hike in the woods. I was running up the hills and feeling great...but then I got cold and started to itch. I've read that it has to do with capillaries and blood flow, which is fairly normal. What's NOT normal is the white-hot rage that comes along with it. I feel angry and frustrated and crazy until the itch dies down. I think I know what the Incredible Hulk feels like when he goes all green.

....so, yeah. That's not at all what you're describing, but IN to let you know you're not a freak. Or, if you are, so am I. :)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I agree with people encouraging you to persist with exercise. I have bipolar and if someone told me 2 years ago just how much exercise would help my recovery I would not have believed them.

Is it because you're doing something you don't enjoy or are you just not feeling a lift no matter what you do?

Getting into the habit of doing it and knowing you've done something is good - you're getting out, taking care of yourself, following a routine and not sitting on your *kitten*, which can be the very worst thing to do in this situation.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression and anxiety. EVERY SINGLE DOCTOR I've seen says "EXERCISE!" But a lot of the time I feel incredibly down after working out. Like it has the opposite effect on me. What gives?

Am I a freak?

Case in point - right now. Just did a 37 minute intense workout and feel like crying and crawling into a hole.

Hi, I have had this experience. I was upset that I have not done more sooner and kept letting things get in the way of being healthy and how I have let my life be much worse than it could have been if I had changed sooner. That is quite depressing. I don't know if you have a similar feeling. Exercise does help your body feel better if not always your head or emotions so it is good to keep it up.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I also had this, for about a month after I started seriously working out. I would workout and become extremely depressed afterwards, usually for the rest of the day. I stuck with it and rarely have an issue with it now.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I totally relate. I overexercise when I do so (3 hours high incline moderately fast treadmill, weight machines, core exercises and 15 swimming laps). I usually only do the treadmill and swimming parts though. At first I feel good, but as I use that last bit of energy... Fatigue and suddenly I'm depressed.
  • afaulhabet
    afaulhabet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this too. I was recently diagnosed with adrenal fatigue. Perhaps you want to look into it? My version of what was going on was that my body saw strenuous ex as stress and responded. One affect was that my stomach was growing bigger even though I was excersizing and getting more toned in other areas - that was due to cortisol the stress hormone. My body needed some tlc, low stress, lots of sleep, no caffeine etc. I have been able to do walking and mild ex and am now, after a few months away from the gym, getting back into slightly more strenuous ex.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    it happens to me too. not every time but yeah. deadlifts in particular. used to be they would just make me raging unstoppably hungry throughout the next day, but lately i have noticed they seem to just flatten my curves a little.
    I suffer from depression and anxiety. EVERY SINGLE DOCTOR I've seen says "EXERCISE!"

yup, this is annoying. i don't even have depression and it annoys me. i think everyone secretly wants a magic bullet or a simple answer to depression especially . . . even the medical professions and other peopel who ought to know better than that.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you to pick workouts based on your interests. Not all workouts are meant for everyone. These days I only do those workouts that I enjoy such as zumba, yoga, pilates, body sculpting, etc. I have stopped treadmills, cycling, eliptical, etc, coz I never enjoyed them and it took a lot of effort to get myself to gym those days. Now, with this new routine, I don't need that extra push and I am normally satisfied when I am done with the sessions:

This is exactly what I did and my exhausted/dread/moody/drained feelings went away. I never thought I'd be a "class" taker, but it had the opposite effect as what I'd imagined. Now when I do a little elliptical... I feel like it's "extra" and no pressure.