What are some light cardio/toning exercises?

StatutoryGrape
StatutoryGrape Posts: 365
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
My spin class last night was a total disaster. I started out fine and managed thirty minutes, but then my throat started to close up and ache terribly (I have exercise-induced asthma, unresponsive to any sort of inhaler). It didn't take long for my heart rate to slow down once I stopped (I had to duck out halfway through), but that was at 5pm last night and as of right now, I am still wheezing lightly and my throat still aches. Obviously, I need to start much, much smaller. I'm so disappointed with myself but am trying not to beat myself up--at least I tried, and spin is a HARD class (I didn't believe it until I tried it for myself!)

I've decided to make brisk walking at least 5-6 times a week (for 45-60 minutes at a time) my primary form of cardio--god knows it's simple enough--with some yoga/Pilates stuff mixed in with light weights. I plan on buying a few beginner DVDs as soon as I get my deposit back from the Y, since they were...well, not understanding of the situation. I don't like being pushed to the point where I become physically ill and almost faint, so I think starting out on my own is the best option at this point. (I have seen a doctor for this issue but was basically told that there's nothing they can really do for me if the inhalers don't work, and to try not to overexert myself too much all at once--that prevention of an attack is the best way to manage it.)

I need some ideas for good toning/light cardio exercises--I'm guessing Pilates will do what I'm looking for, which is basically to tone up my midsection and lose a small amount of weight. I'm already watching what I eat very closely and staying within the recommended ranges, so I think part of the reason I can't lose weight is hormonal--the birth control mess-up that caused me to gain this weight in the first place, coupled with my hypothyroidism. I'm willing to give it time--I don't need results NOW, just to get in better overall shape. :) Losing the pounds is a plus, but I know it's not going to happen as quickly for me as it does for other people, based on my (crappy) metabolism/hormonal issues. I'm trying not to get discouraged! I know I will eventually find something that works for me.

What other exercises might work for me?

Replies

• I'm also doing the Alzheimer's Memory Walk with a couple of aunts tomorrow, so that should be some good exercise, too...and for a good cause. :) Yay!
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    I use these cardio intervals on my gazelle and walking. I have asthma and they don't flare it up because I can push myself as hard (or not) as I want to.

http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/find-a-workout/summer-challenge-podcasts/article/7f08627a395a9110VgnVCM20000012281eac____
  • Cool, thanks for the tip! I hope to get an elliptical soon, if we can manage it.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    I also have exercise induced asthma. I have been slowly training myself out of it. Start on a low impact machine like an elliptical with short bits of exercise. Eventually you can build up. I still can't outright run for very long, but I can do 1.5 hours on an elliptical which is great.
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    elliptical machines are great just don't do it everyday. Your leg muscle will get bigger (mainly the top of the thighs and calves). I'm petite and after 6 months of not mixing it up I couldn't put on my jeans b/c my thigh were too big, and my favorite boots b/c my calves got too big. Try yoga, it is great for core and strength training.

Try this out website out. www.turbokick.com then go shop then Fan Workouts. PiYo is yoga & pilates & strength training.
    Description of PiYpo Workout. http://www.turbokick.com/store/product.php?productid=485&cat=72&page=2
    Lose weight and completely transform your body! PiYo™, a mind/body workout, is about more than just flexibility, it’s about burning calories and building muscle! The dynamic blend of movement increases strength, balance, and agility, while being easy on the mind and the joints. Don't be fooled, this workout gives you an incredible experience and helps you lose weight.

Volume 1: Includes “Introduction to PiYo™”, PiYo™ 101 & Lesson 8

*Each workout contains a warm-up, workout, and cool down section and is approximately 60 minutes in length.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Hi, I use my bronchioinhaler before I use the tread mill. I take 2 hits off of it , about 20 mins before I use the tread mill. I cant use the eliptical, after about 5 mins , I feel so out of breath and my heart is pounding

Also, since you are an ashtmatic, do you use a recovery inhaler or the daily one, thatst not used for instant recovery?

Ive lost now, 100 lbs, and 90% of that weight loss came from the tread mill. Know what, I started walking on a tread mill at 1.0, then 1.5, 2.0, and now Im up to 4.0

If I cant go higher ,its cool, cuz like I said when I first started, I could barely handle 10 mins, and when I did, I could barely walk to the car because of the asthma and the weight. Now, I can stay on for one and a half hours and not winded at all, ......losing 100 lbs is the reason why

also, did you know that many times when you lose lots of weight ,the symptoms of exercise induced asthma dissapate? Its true, my pulmonologist told me to keep exercising, that the body needs it, as well as your heart

Start out slow, no inclines, nada............just 10 mins and then slowly increase

Take care, keep me informed about your asthma meds, as I want to stop using both of my inhalers by Dec.....Your Friend, Lloyd
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    tai chi! I just bought a DVD, or you can take classes...not only is it an awesome spiritual experience, but you tone and work your core muscles! I'm serious, try it for a month, it's amazing....
  • I'm currently not on any asthma meds for a few reasons:
    1) It really only flares up during moderate/high intensity exercise
    2) I tried about four different inhalers and none of them worked (tried before and after exercise)
    3) No health insurance, yay!

I don't think my weight is causing it to flare up, since I only weigh 140 lbs and it was bad even when I weighed 115 (when I was 17). I think a lot of it is due to the stress that was put on my lungs in the past--mother was a heavy, heavy smoker and I had pneumonia that went untreated for longer than it should've when I was young...scarring on the lungs, etc. Plus, I'm prone to upper respiratory infections in general, so I just have a grand old time! Lol.

I was wondering what "PiYo" was...thanks for the link! And for the tai chi recommendation. :)
This discussion has been closed.