Three meals or six small

Options
What is the best way to lose weight having 3 meals with no snacks or dividing them into 6 meals?

Replies

• _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The best way is probably what works for you.

For me, I find eating 4-5 times a day is better than 3 times. I stay full and that keeps me from wanting to snack.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. It's the overall calories not meal timing that make you lose weight. So what ever works for you
  • MozzarellaSheep
    MozzarellaSheep Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I personally like to eat smaller meals more frequently. Otherwise I find myself twice as hungry and more likely to binge on junk food. ;)
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to lose weight having 3 meals with no snacks or dividing them into 6 meals?

It is indifferent as long as you have a daily caloric deficit. Personally, I prefer smaller portions more often to help prevent overeating in the long term. But, to each their own -- just try to be consistent on whichever system works best for you as long as you can sustain it over the long run.

Good luck!
  • scottkissinger
    Options
    Eating 4-7 smaller meals instead of 3 large meals a day tend to keep the hunger pangs away a little better. If you're on a low-carb diet, then it really doesn't matter either way. But, I would think if you're still eating a lot of carbs (150 grams plus), then 3 meals is going to cause your blood sugar to spike and then plummet after the meal. When your blood sugar plummets, then the hunger pangs are going to kick in and you'll tend to find yourself eating more than you should. But, different strokes for different folks.....for some people 3 squares a day works. For others, several small meals work. Experiment and find what works best for you in your daily life.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    This is really a personal thing. Do what abates cravings for you - for me more frequent small meals is fine if I want to maintain weight but if I am on a mission to lose weight then it does not work for me. You are the best judge for yourself but do what works for you - as fatdoob says it is the overall calorie deficit that you are looking for.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter...weigh control be it losing, maintaining, or gaining is all about energy consumption, not so much the timing of that consumption. Do whatever is going to result in the best dietary adherence.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Some people do better with 3 big meals, I prefer multiple smaller meals, or my blood sugar will crash too much.
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat 3 main meals a day and 2 snacks. I do this to keep my body burning calories for most of the day. My snacks are usually 100 calories or less but filling. My main meals I try to keep between 35-50 carbs. Your metabolism is what dictates how fast you burn the calories. If you ate all your calories at two meals, lunch and dinner let's say, your body will burn those slower because it has to save the energy (food you ate) until tomorrows lunch. If your body gets more meals and snacks from the same amount of food it does not try to conserve its energy (the food you eat) but goes ahead and keeps on burning energy. I hope this make a little sense to you because it took me a little bit to figure it out years ago. I just chose not to make good choice in the food I put into my body, but now I'm more than willing and it is working for me. Down 22 pounds since 01/02/14.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i do 3 meals, and a snack if i get hungry before dinner. i eat lunch around noon, and dinner at 6, so its a long stretch, but other than that i dont snack. i have a hard time not binging if i'm in the kitchen all day. plus every time i go to the kitchen, a short person follows me and wants to eat too. i also dislike cleaning the kitchen, so i'd rather only have to clean it 3 times instead of 4.
  • MarKayDee
    Options
    I eat kinda whenever it tickles me. On days I work I usually eat only twice a day, breakfast and dinner with something like a coffee or a fruit juice (okay never juice almost always a coffee) for lunch. On days when I'm off or out running around having fun I usually eat more throughout the day, a sandwich here, some fruit there, mostly snacking throughout the day with something like chicken and veggies for dinner.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    like others say, it's all about how many calories per day, not when you eat them. Me personally, I tried to do the 6 smaller meals thing, but it felt like I was eating finger foods waiting for the main course. I do better eating 2 meals a day, lunch and dinner, and I lost 30 pds in 3 months because I was not going over my calorie limit. Good Luck!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Mine varies. During the week 5-6 smaller meals. Weekends depending on what we are doing 2-3 meals including several Coors lights!
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    I eat about five small meals.:drinker:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. It's the overall calories not meal timing that make you lose weight. So what ever works for you
    This. Meal timing is all but irrelevant for weight loss/management in the vast majority of people without a preexisting medical condition that dictates otherwise.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 6 hours a day like clockwork and lost weight, now I eat 4-5 times a day and am still losing weight. So I don't think it matters, it's all In Vs Out.

Biggest difference for me though is that last time I trained my system to be expecting food every 2.5hrs and I could tell the time by how hungry I was LOL now I actually just wait for my system to point it out on its own.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    What you can adhere to is the best way. For ME it is a lunch and a huge dinner.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    The most effective way to lose weight and for that loss to be sustainable is to time your meals the way you prefer.
    I used to have a trainer who told me that I had to eat breakfast because I had been fasting for twelve hours already. Yet I know very muscular successful people who skip breakfast because this is their preference. Figure out how much you need to eat, then time it however you wish.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As others have said - the 'best' way is the way that allows you to better adhere (as well as what is best for energy for gym performance).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    As others have said - the 'best' way is the way that allows you to better adhere (as well as what is best for energy for gym performance).

Agreed, personal preference is more important and what works best for you....