Was inspired by break up

Options
Hi, so 7 weeks ago me and my boyfriend of 4 years broke up, I was depressed and ate practically nothing for 10 days and lost about half a stone, it inspired me to eat properly, exercise and i don't have to be unhappy with my weight . 4 years ago I was a slim size 10 and happy with my weight. I had slowly piled about 3 and a half stone on in the 4 years we had been together by generally eating rubbish such as a lot of chocolate, cookies, cakes etc, not exercising and eating large portions and takeouts! 7 weeks ago I was 85kg and today I am 74.2kg, so I am very happy so far, keeping at my gym classes and eating normal portions and including fruit in my diet, I am also feeling better in myself, more positive and although I still have hard days, I know I will be happy again one day and hopefully at my target weight of 60kg for my birthday in May! :-)

Replies

• jh270593
    jh270593 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did a small run in the morn and a great gym class in the evening, I managed to do so much more of the class then I usually can do so it's good to know my fitness is improving, and then this evening I have walked my dog and rode my horse :-) I have kept to my eating plan aswel, not sure where all this motivation to get fit has come from but I really hope it sticks around and I prove to myself I can get back to how I was!!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Way to go.. you are doing great.... A break up inspired me to start running again... then we got back together for 3 weeks... and now it is TOTALLY Over.. but my running has never been better and I think I am moving in the right direction.

I get what you are going through and think you are going in a great direction!!!!
  • jmartis21
    jmartis21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! My fitness journey started as well after a break up last June. I was so tired of working, going home, laying on the couch and sort of zoning out/depressed and decided to do something about it. I have never felt better about myself. Good luck on your journey @jh270593, this is just the beginning!! Great job!!
  • greshka
    greshka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you lost more than you every regretted. And gained more than you could ever expected. It is important to remember that YOU are more important to yourself and inner well being than what is expected of us by others. We give so much and yet forget that WE, OURSELVES, need individuality.

I am so happy for your lose---both of them. HEAD UP!!! WHOOT!
  • jh270593
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's hard but I am getting there. I never would of been able to get this far without this push and I am glad it is here even though I have lost other things in the process. Sometimes you do have to stop thinking of others and put yourself and your health first! Feel free to add me :-)
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I just broke up with my boyfriend this weekend. I've had some really great workouts since then. Just focus on pampering yourself and pushing through. If you miss him think about negatives in the relationships. Sounds weird but it helps give you a balanced viewpoint instead of romanticizing the person. And get a dope breakup playlist going and revel in your total awesomeness.
  • janettex0
    janettex0 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I was with my ex for 4 years as well. Just keep pushing yourself. Think to yourself "I bet he wishes he had me now!!" best feeling ever! Good luck to you and stay positive!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Never give up. Life is changing every day and sounds like you are ready for it. Best to you..
  • jh270593
    Options
    Ok so had a good day yesterday, did a 4 mile walk with the dog, rode the horse then did a gym class so was on quite a high last night. Woke up this morn feeling a bit run down, lazy and frustrated, have another gym class tonight so hopefully that will pump me up a bit!
    @amestris funny how you say about a breakup playlist as all I have done lately is try and listen to music that will make me sing as it makes me think of something else ha ha!!

It's so weird how just posting about your day to a bunch of people I don't know just relieves me that little bit!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 180 pounds of boyfriend!
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Great job! Glad to see you're headed in a healthier happier direction :) I know how heart ache can sometimes be an unexpected push.
  • Amestris
    Options
    It's been helpful for me. Also taking a step back and looking objectively at the person helps. Every relationships is a learning experience.There isn't any way to really know if a relationship is going to work sometimes without trying it out. I think this quote from James Baldwin expresses it beautifully.

“But to look back from the stony plain along the road which led one to that place is not at all the same thing as walking on the road; the perspective to say the very least, changes only with the journey; only when the road has, all abruptly and treacherously, and with an absoluteness that permits no argument, turned or dropped or risen is one able to see all that one could not have seen from any other place.”
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me through my last breakup was, right afterwards, while everything was still fresh in my mind, I wrote him a letter. I wrote and wrote everythign he'd ever done to hurt me, and it ended up being 12 pages, single-spaced. That way, when I started looking at the relationship through "rose-colored glasses" later on, I could go back to the letter and read it again. Usually about halfway through I was so angry at him I couldnt' even dream of trying to get back together.

I had a breakup inspire me to start running too--back in 2008. I still job regularly, though not nearly the 10 miles a day I did back then. =)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I was also inspired by a breakup in early 2012 -- we'd been together 7 years. I got off track for a bit towards the end of school, but regrouped and now down 50 lbs from where I was when I was dating him.
  • jh270593
    Options
    Another update. So another 0.9kg lost, been keeping up with the gym classes and walking. Had a bad day yesterday where everything caught up with me again and had a bit of an emotional night! Woke up this morning and decided to pick me up to do a gym class, came home to get ready for work and noticed I was swamped in my size 14 work trousers. So tried my old size 12 pants that I haven't fit into for years and they fit perfectly with room to spare!! Bring on another week!!
  • Amestris
    Options
    Yay to your progress!!! Keep up the good work!!!
  • jh270593
    Options
    So a few more weeks on and I've continued to do well and have lost an amazing 31lbs. So pleased with myself and only another 10 pounds or so more and I will be back to the weight I was 4 years before. I have upped the gym sessions from 1 class on a mon wed and fri. To 2 classes mon, wed and fri and 1 on a sun morn, not really to do with weight loss but because I love the feeling after a hard session and it gives me a great boost! I have made them part of my daily routine and instead of fitting them in, I am now fitting things in around them! I still have bad days and usually I am thinking of the whole situation a few times a day, every day!! but it is nowhere near the amount before and is slowly gradually decreasing. It is also annoying me how people are saying I should stop now, that I have lost enough but i still have quite a bit of body fat, especially on my stomach. Bring on another month.. Thanks mfp for helping me so far