is it better to do morning workouts?

Options
2»

Replies

• MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like mornings because nothing can interrupt or stop me. If I do it later, there is always the risk of something happening during the day that prevents me from getting it done.

Agree totally! I always have an errand to run or something to do after work that competes with my gym time so if I work out in the morning before work (5am - 45 min run on my treadmill or elyptical) I am guaranteed to get it in for the day. If I don't have something else to do after work, then I go to the gym with a friend and get a double dose of sweaty goodness for the day.

46733158.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think the best workout for one, is the one that they can do.
    Its no use believing that a workout at a certain time of day is best, if one has neither the time, nor the inclination to do it at that particular time.

Any workout that I have to do before 7am is doomed to fail. I am not a morning person. I have a hard time rolling out of bed to get ready for my day, let alone wake early to go workout.

But come later in the day, I am fully thawed and raring to go... have been known to go for the evening segment of my twice daily 4.7mile walk at midnight, because that is when I could find the time, and I hate to miss it.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    As already said, the best time to workout is when you will actually do it.

I work out in the mornings (5am) or at lunch time depending on my work schedule - and some days I need the sleep-in :smile:

I can't do evenings simply because my husband works late and I have kids to look after. We save that period for some much needed down-time as a family.
  • JoanneC1216
    Options
    So some people have told me that it's better if you workout in the morning and others have told me it doesn't matter. What do you all think is it better or does it not even matter when you workout. Please explain why also feel free to add me will add anyone lets help each other out. Its always fun to have someone to help motivate and support you :)

I think it is. By the time I get home from work, I come up with100 excuses why I can't workout. But everyone is different. You gotta do what works for you.
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I guess I am the lone person liking working out at night. It holds me accountable through out the day, and it's a great way to get rid of stress from the day. A good workout, a hot shower and then just relax.
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My doctor encourages me to work out as early as possible, to get my metabolism revving up early, which as I understand it, helps keep the body burning calories throughout the day.

But this article is interesting:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/WhenToExercise.htm

To each, his (or her) own....

:bigsmile:
  • It actually depends on the person. I love working out in the morning,leaves me fresh and energised and helps me keep my cravings in check. How can i eat greasy foods when my body is aching from my morning workout!! Tried working out in the evening once and it felt weird,i was too tired to even enjoy my work out.

Whatever time works for you, just give it your all. Do not follow the masses. Listen to your body and it will guide you. Feel free to add me guys. Im new to MFP :P