Phantom TOM (LADY QUESTION ALERT)

Options
Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced phantom periods? Mine have become very random and sporadic. I workout a lot for work, but my body should be used to it by now?

I now get phantom periods where I get all the PMS symptoms at around the time of TOM and then nothing. Cramps/tired/bloat...like I need Advil type cramps...but nothing. I'm only 34 so menopause doesn't make sense...no women in my family had early pre menopause /menopause.

Thanks!

Replies

• CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Can't say that I have "phantom" periods, but my cycles aren't as consistent anymore (25 day cycles to 35 day cycles...) But then again I'm 42. Are you eating enough to fuel all those workouts? You look great!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I was like that for a bit when I was doing the low fat thing. I aim for 80+g a day now, and my hormones went from what I thought was early menopause back to nice and normal.
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Perimenopause can start as early as late 20s or early 30s for some. It is worth a call to your GYN and some blood work to see what is up.
  • leaner426
    Options
    If I change sugar or carbs drastically that can happen, or really lower fat. Stress can do it too. Have your doctor check your numbers especially if it goes a few months. Also try to note if it is happening every other month, it could an issue with one ovary.
  • iwannarideu
    Options
    When did you start this? This can happen when you change your schedule, lose or gain weight and add or remove a lot of exercise into your schedule that your body is not used to.
  • charlicee
    Options
    How long and heavy are these periods? Most women will get occasional bleeding between periods, regular or not. It is not unheard of, however, for a woman as early as her 30s to get menopause, either! However, if this keeps persisting, I suggest visiting both your obgyn and your primary physician, the bleeding could not only be your menses, it could be severe bleeding of another kind.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Same here! I was going to mention this to my doctor at my next checkup. It only started happening after I started working out much more than I used to.
  • AreUjoking2
    Options
    I would say perimenopause also. Going through the same thing. Talk with your OBGYN, and keep a journal of it. It helps to assess the situation.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    What's your body fat %? I know that dipping below a certain percent can cause this but if it's kind of all the sudden you may what to get checked out. Even something like a benign ovary cyst can cause irregular cycles.
  • srsly_sarah
    srsly_sarah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My college roommate had the same thing happen (she was 21 at the time). Anyway, she had been dieting and restricting her fat intake for almost a year. She was healthy, but just ate really low fat. She went on a weekend retreat with our college and ate two meals that were high in fat, for the first time since her periods stopped, and then she had a period within a few days. Her doctor told her that it had to do with fat intake.

I would see your doctor.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My cousin stopped having periods all together when she was playing basketball. Once she reduced her activity level they returned. But, I agree with the other ladies here, You should talk to your GYN.:smile:

Just a note: My TOM's have greatly decreased since increasing my activity level.
  • thisgirlsonfire
    thisgirlsonfire Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Best advice....See your gynecologist or family doctor. He/she is the only one who can give you medical advice and check to make sure there are no underline medical issues. Best of health to you.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I am not afraid of fat in my diet, so I don't think it's that. I watch my carbs...nothing drastic....but fats are a free for all as long as i'm in my calorie goal. :-D

I'm around 21% BF according to my scale...FWTW. So average.

Everytime I've had blood work done, it comes back perfect. I will ask again though. My periods can be 40 days apart...they can be 80 days apart...it's random. When they come they are normal. The PMS symptoms every couple of weeks though is getting MASSIVELY annoying.
  • InfamousFox
    InfamousFox Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've had this. A lot. I don't work out (though I should) and I eat plenty of fat/calories (too much, to be sure). I was advised it was due to PCOS when I was diagnosed with that last year. I was put on Yasmin to resolve it. So far, so good. I like the Yasmin quite a lot, as it also helps with water retention, which I also seem to have too much of.