Food scale?

Options
I am wanting to invest in a decent, not too expensive, food scale. I have a cheepo one, but would like digital.
Any thoughts on a good one? Checking Amazon but feel overwhelmed by choices. Sorry if this is already a thread. I looked but I can't seem to find it. I'd appreciate the link if someone has it. :wink:

Replies

• 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at Wal-Mart for between 20 and 30 dollars. I like it because it has multiple ways to weight. Grams, Ounces and two others. It has a way to accomodate "tear" (the weight of a container) and the glass plateform is easy to clean. They had cheaper ones but this had really good features and was worth a little extra. I would like it if the G and the OZ display were a little larger but I can see it if I squint.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Just bought one at Target $35.00. I love it. It has a metal removal dish easy to weigh food and clean.

The name of it is Taylor.
  • campdawson
    campdawson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used a cheap scale too before splurging on the Joseph Joseph shell digital. Here's a link that compares Joseph Joseph and others: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304299304577347690270146270?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304299304577347690270146270.html
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I got my scale at walmart for 10 bucks, its actually a letter scale but weighs the same. It measure in ounces and grams
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I got mine on Amazon for 10 0r 15 bucks. Something like that. It is digital, and it works very well. You just have to look around the site a little bit.
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Thanks. It's my birthday, I'm gonna treat myself with one. :wink:
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Costco had an excellent electronic one. Otherwise you can't go wrong with the Amazon reviews. The one feature I would make sure you have is the Zero/Tare function.
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Cuisinart. I like it well enough. I don't really have a 101 uses for it though.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea for a birthday gift for yourself. I would make sure it was digital. I have another one that is not and can be very misleading
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I would also make sure that the button or switch to change from grams to ounces is on top and available while you are weighing. I had one but the switch was on the bottom and I always forgot to flip it when I needed to change to ounces/grams.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I went on Amazon and filtered by ones rated 4 stars and up, which cut the number of options from twenty-five thousand down to three thousand. Then I just scrolled through the top few pages looking for ones I liked the looks of.

I wound up with the Ozeri black glass one.

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Professional-Digital-Kitchen-Tempered/dp/B003MSZBSI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1393198641&sr=8-5&keywords=food+scale
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Walmart $18 work's great and I love it. You can switch between ounces and grams, has the Zero/Tare function, and it weighs up to 10 lbs of food.

dAQolFnnoB.jpg
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I bought one from Bed, Bath and Beyond for about $15 with. discount coupon. Mine is a The Sharper Image scale with a removable stainless steel surface that sits over a glass platform. The stainless steel is washable and helps limit contamination of the scale measurement surface. It is digital, has both English and metric readouts, as well as tare functions.

I love it. There are some surprises in the rounding that some labels use to give you calories.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I got this one from Amazon a few weeks ago: http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393203405&sr=8-2&keywords=food+scale

It was out of stock when I ordered it, but I still had it in less than a week. So far I really like it. Weighing my food has helped me see that I was overestimating portions, which explains why I had stopped losing weight. I'm down two pounds since I started using it!
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I got one at Aldi for $9.99 two weeks ago. It is like this: http://aldishopper.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-kitchen-living-digital-kitchen.html

Ounces, grams, solids, liquids, zero, tare, all the good stuff. Works great.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at the grocery store for $15.
    Near the cooking utensils and plastic wear etc.

It was there.. it was cheap. I got it. It does the job.
    Lots of options but I mostly weigh in grams and kgs.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Walmart $18 work's great and I love it. You can switch between ounces and grams, has the Zero/Tare function, and it weighs up to 10 lbs of food.

dAQolFnnoB.jpg

That's the one I have it works well. Had it two years and two batteries.
  • mufamuscles
    Options
    I've have this one for over a year with no complaints:

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393211534&sr=8-2&keywords=food+scale

Random no-name brand but works fantastic and cheap!
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options

dAQolFnnoB.jpg

Had this one for three years and I love it. Unless I'm mistaken, it actually weighs pounds and kilos, too. I know mine has four different weights.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options

dAQolFnnoB.jpg

That's mine, too! 10.00 and I use it to weigh my mail. Double win!:drinker: