What's the deal with intermittent fasting?

I've been seeing a bit about intermittent fasting online, and I'm a bit intrigued. I have been struggling a bit with my eating plan and feeling deprived because it is hard to fit in some of my favorite meals into 300-400 calorie meals. The idea of eating within an 8-10 hour window and having 800 calories for a meal appeals to me, but what is the real deal behind IF? How is it any better than distributing calories throughout the day?

The only thing I can see on the top of my head is that on Mondays (the day I eat my high calorie cheat meal) I do not need a bedtime snack. On any other day, I eat a snack after dinner because I am hungry.

Off the top of my head, I think I would do a 14:10 cycle where I can eat between 12 and 10pm, but that may also depend on my new work schedule. Some days, however, I may end up on a 15:9 of 16:8 cycle, and there may be days (like Wednesays) where I don't eat dinner until after 10.

But I'm not sure if it is just hype or if there's actually any benefit to IF. The info I have seen out there is pretty conflicting.

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    I've seen two different forms of intermittent fasting on these forums. One is where you eat like insanely low some days and higher other days. However, you keep the same weekly average as anybody else.

The other is when people link this: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

All I can gather from that calculator is that on rest days you do TDEE -20%, eat lots of protein to retain muscle. On workout days you eat +20%, I'm assuming to bulk up?

I would like to know too. I probably got it wrong.

edit: After reading your post again I realize you put a lot of emphasis on time. It doesn't matter when you eat, only how many calories you eat throughout the day. The only time you have to be concerned when you eat is if you have acid reflux or something and you shouldn't eat before bed if you have that.
  • akshil
    akshil Posts: 23 Member
    Check this website it is where all the magic of IF started. And yes it does work, helped me maintain my weight for more than a year allowing me to eat all my favorite foods after the weight loss.

www.leangains.com
    www.rippedbody.jp
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting That is the IF subforum. If you want to check it out, it's open to join. Or click groups and type intermittent fasting and join that way.

I'm a week into a 22/2 schedule after having tried and failed 5:2 and Alternate Day Fasting. So far so good, but as always with these things, your results may vary.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    I do IF. Right now I'm eating in a 3 hour window so basically one large meal a day and before 2pm. It's just what I need to do to kick start this again. I've kind slumped off the last two months and I'm done with it. I'll do this a few weeks then get back to a more normal routine once I get the cravings under control. I love IF. Read Eat, Stop, Eat.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    I did eat-stop-eat for about a year....One 24 hour fast per week. It's challenging but I didn't suffer at all.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    I recently switched to 16:8 fasting.
    So I dont start eating till 1PM and stop eating at 9PM no exceptions.

I find Im always full now vs always hungry when I eat 6 - 7 meals a day and my binging has stopped since Im physically not allowed to due to time restrictions.

I also feel a lot better emotionally but I dont know if thats because I recently stopped eating as much sugars / desserts / processed stuff at the same time I started.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    I fast one day a week (6:1 is the maintenance form of 5:2) and eat to a 16:8/15:9 window the rest of the week.

Why? Well, for one thing, it's how I naturally like to eat. I'm generally just not hungry in the morning. The other reason, I can pretty much eat whatever I want (within reason!) the rest of the time. And have absolutely no issues hitting my minimum macros.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    It works because of rolling averages in weekly caloric intake. I did it for a couple of months and it did work. It helped my motivation to never be very far from a big food day, but still lose weight. I stopped doing it when I started taking in more protein, which helped me to not need big food days.

ETA: I still use it on occasion in order to fit in a special treat. I might cut back some calories the day before, the day after or some from both. I like to think of it as banking calories.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    This has a reasonable bit of info in:
    http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Leangains Guide
    If nothing else, it helps me limit my eating - I can easily eat 9am-11pm AND still eat the same amount of food between 1pm-9pm. So if I force myself to just eat between those hours I don't eat as much.

It doesn't negatively impact me doing this.
    The only time where I've found it does is doing serious exercise in the morning - I've fine with an hour and a half light social run, but make it an actual race (which I only do for the fun of it, but will be trying harder) and I really NEED some food before, definitely when the two times I've tried I've been on a 1400 calorie day the day before (which I suspect in reality is more than a 1000 calorie deficit on that day.)
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Works for some and not for others. The only way you will know is to give it a go !! I only fast when bloated, or know it is time to give my digestive system a rest. I have seen research supporting and detracting. If something sounds right to you, then that is more than likely the path you should take. you have alot of support here from people who care. You are in good company, take advantage of the opportunity to educate yourself.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    IMO, pointless.

Why not just eat what you want when you want, under your caloric allowance?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Off the top of my head, I think I would do a 14:10 cycle where I can eat between 12 and 10pm, but that may also depend on my new work schedule. Some days, however, I may end up on a 15:9 of 16:8 cycle, and there may be days (like Wednesays) where I don't eat dinner until after 10.

But I'm not sure if it is just hype or if there's actually any benefit to IF. The info I have seen out there is pretty conflicting.

This is exactly my eating window. I used to do 16:8, but it messed with my hormones. I read up more on it and this can happen for some women past the 14 hour mark, so I'm careful with that now, but it may not happen to you. (I'm 45, so that may play a factor.) I was on a "normal" 3 meal, 2 snack low cal diet for a while and I lost a bit, but couldn't really get my BF to lower. I've lost almost 10% BF in a little under a year doing IF and I'm maintaining now at a fairly large calorie allowance.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,268 Member
    IMO, pointless.

that is what I think about it too. your metabolism is working no matter if you eat or not. you need a certain amount of calories for basic metablic functions regardless. eat when you feel hungry and drink water. why deprive yourself? I don't see how starving yourself of food will help you have the energy needed to function at work, home or at the gym. I just don't get it. My body seems to respond to six small meals a day. I aim for that.
  • geebusuk
    IMO, pointless.

Because I find it much harder to keep to my calorie allowance that way.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    IF isn't magic.

If it helps with compliance to a calorie deficit, then it's good.

If you have to go through contortions to get it to fit around your lifestyle, you'll probably last 2 weeks on it.

It makes cutting bearable for me, but I can see that it would be a pain in the *kitten* for other people.
  • I don't really get that huge eating window when it comes to IF and many people end up gaining doing a 16:8 fast. Honestly, getting your meals in an 8 or 10 our window is what most people do anyway. Skip breakfast, lunch at 12, dinner at 6, all you're cutting is a snack.

I do IF and it usually helps me control binges but I do have a smaller eating window from 10 am to 3 pm. I find that that window allows my last meal to keep me full through dinner. It also makes eating whole meals and not a bunch of junk much easier for me.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    I love it but at this point in my journey, its muscle wasting.
    Not a magic bullet.
    works for some but not all.
    Solely based on macro distribution thorough the day/week.
    If you don't lift weights, don't IF.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    If you don't lift weights, don't IF.

Yeah, this^
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    There's no deal. It's mostly marketing. Meal timing doesn't matter at all, just stick to calorie goals. If you need to put arbitrary "start" and "stop" times to stick to your calorie goal, go for it. Otherwise, don't bother.
  • geebusuk
    I should note I DO lift weights and I DO work my calories/macros etc around that.
    No idea if actuallly really helps or not, but I know it DOES help me not over-eating.