Does anyone else chose gym over social stuff??

Options

Replies

• amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i find myself preferring going to the gym over seeing people and socializing more and more lately. can't tell if its ****ty people or that i love exercising lately. meh. who cares.
  • BurnBabyyyBurn
    Options
    I also think it's the fact that I like working out more and more :)
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not using it as an avoidance tactic (procrastination) then you should stick with what you feel most compelled to do. It is up to you to decide your values over priorities - If we consider this at an extreme - an athlete will put training first - perhaps over family, work or other social values. What could be worst lets say the reverse is true you use social events and find every excuse to avoid going to the gym (this would the the reverse avoidance tactic). Certainly it is all about living a balanced life and your friends / family will not be insulted if they know you well and know that you are doing this because it is important to you and that you have the strength of character to follow through with something you said you were going to do. What would be rude is to say yes to the social event and not turn up "blow them off" to go to the gym. Be honest and forward and confident that you are in control of your life and you know what you want / need to do to achieve your goals; if people around you do not respect that then screw them anyhow.
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I generally don't have this problem because I do my workouts in the morning. In fact, I started doing my workouts in the morning because inevitably work or some other thing would come up and I would run out of time. I'm also a chronic insomniac so if I exercise in the evenings it tends to get me amped up and then I can't sleep.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Sometimes Friday nights when I choose not to go out, I think to myself "While everyone else is out drinking their calories, I am here - burning mine".
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I tell them that I have goals I must stick with and invite them to work out with me. My fella got tired of me always being go e to the gym so he got a membership too and often works out with me. Stay strong sistah!!:glasses:
  • tgsoe
    tgsoe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think it is all about balance.

My partner and I are what you could define as 'gym junkies', generally doing two sessions a day - we love it. We aren't big on the 'club' scene which is kind of ideal, both calorically (is that even a word) and financially. But, we do enjoy occasionally heading down to the Pub for the members draw, or a countery and having a couple of drinks.

We just make sure that we have done our workouts for the day, and I ensure that I have pre-allocated the 'worst-case scenario' dinner on MFP so I know how many calories I need to have burnt in order to go out and relax with that meal and those couple of drinks.

But, it is definitely about balance - and doing what you love. If the gym is your love, do it. Just please don't become obsessive and miss out on life...............
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    My friends know that my workout time is part of my non-negotiable things to do each day. They may not totally "get it", but most of them accept that about me b/c I've been doing it so long. Sometimes, if I have advance notice, I schedule the workout at a time where i can still attend the event. Bottom line is that my friends will not be paying my medical bills if I get sick and they sure as heck aren't offering to carry my groceries, shovel my snow...all the things I can do with ease b/c I work out. So, no, I don't feel guilty, either lol
  • thefitnightowl
    thefitnightowl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nope, I never feel bad because I have goals in mind. Going to the gym is only like half of getting a better body. I do it for my mental and emotional health and if people cant understand that, then I dont want them in my life anyways. People who dont work out always tend to hate on those that ARE doing good things. But, even if they do hate....they are still watching you make improvements for yourself, so stay positive!......and ask them to JOIN you!!! Maybe they are getting tired of going out to the bars but are hesistant to ask you about fitness or nutrition....make that extra step and people will appreciate it! Good luck, and yes...Ive skipped many events to work out. I have priorities, plain and simple and my HEALTH is at the top of that list!
    Good luck and Feel free to add me! :)

-Shannon
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do. Sometimes I will rearrange my workout schedule for an event, but I really prefer to keep my regular schedule. Probably a little OCD, but it has worked for me. It really bothers me to miss a work out, and it is my time to think and recharge.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    ALL the time. Don't even care.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's about balance as well. Life is too short to miss out on spending time with family and friends. And isn't it nice when they ooh and aah over how good you look? :) I switch my schedule for night events...for example, I work out Thursdays after work with a trainer but have rescheduled for early morning this week so I can go to an event after. If I don't have anything in particular going on after work, I'm definitely at the gym (which is most days) but I treasure the time I spend with my loved ones. If they invite me out to something, I'm going to go.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Gym instead. Almost always.
  • soonpass
    soonpass Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yep! I often cancelled on morning coffee dates and play dates to go to the gym. I can never cancel on a dinner/drink invitation though lol, However I am late if I have to and make sure I work out. (Most) people will respect the fact that you are committed, show you care about social gatherings to by reaching out and making plans on YOUR time
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    gym is the priority. Once you skip one, it makes it a fraction easier to talk yourself into skipping another for whatever the current more important thing is, then fractionally easier from there and so on.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! It's great to know that other people do this, too! And good to see the different thoughts on social vs gym time :)
  • paperfiish
    paperfiish Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It depends on the event. I don't drink much (maybe once or twice a year) and I hate bars/clubs/whatever they call them nowadays. On occasion I've had acquaintances invite me to go to a bar for after class drinks and I've said no, but I usually tell them it's because I have class in the morning, which is also true. I just also plan to go to the gym first.

But things with family and good friends is a priority. Either I'll move my workout time to fit around the event or I'll find a way to get in some kind of work out while I'm with friends. I've often invited (dragged heh) friends on impromptu hikes in nearby hills or whatever when we're just hanging out together, suggested visits to parks, walking around the city, or whatever that will get us out and moving, so that at least I can feel like I've made up for missing my usual routine to some degree. Bonus: it's a great way to improve friendships.

Of course, this won't work for things like weddings or graduation ceremonies or little league matches, but I think those trump gym days anyway.
  • kiwicant
    Options
    I'd rather gym/eat/sleep then go out with mates and drink... at the mo anyway. I'm on my train ('toot! toot!') to getting fit, looking/feeling better and don't want to get off it.

Going out always means drinking and i cant just have 1 or 2. I would rather save up my weekends, roll then into one every couple of months. My friends understand... one has even come over to the dark side to join me in the gym from time to time ;o)
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    I feel like I need to workout instead of being social. I think its more respectable when you work hard on yourself. Than when you see your friends they will know why you weren't around and get it. :)

Im taking some me time for my workouts because i feel like when i get to my goal I will be a lot more social and confident. My friends will support me too.
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I prefer gym/swim than hanging out with couple of friends for happy hours :drinker: :drinker: