My Spaghetti--What Serving Size

Options
I used recipe Builder to enter My Spaghetti. I don't know how many it serves because I don't know whether to measure it by 1C, 1/2C, or Oz. I know the Pasta Pkg says 2oz B4 cooked but once you add in sauce, & Meat I don't think that would be an accurate serving Size.
So May I have your opinions please? Should I measure by 1C, 1/2C, or ?? oz ? I will literally scoop it out by the Measuring cup or use the weight scale until I reach the number of servings total; but I really need to know which one to use. We've never used portions in the past so I want to make sure I'm set before my hubby gets back from delpoyment.
Thank you in Advanced for your time & Advice

Replies

• ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I measure after it's cooked. 2oz uncooked is one cup cooked, so I measure out one cup of cooked pasta then use the recipe builder for the sauce I make.
  • desp8housewife
    desp8housewife Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have added a few recipes and I am not sure if I am doing it right but when I do the servings, If it feeds 6 of us equally, then I say it serves six. I hope that is the right way or else I have messed up myself!!!
    Good luck!!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Usually the box or bag (that says 2 oz of dry spaghetti is the serving size) also has how many servings there are per box/bag.

Example: Serving size 2 oz, servings per box 8. Once cooked, pour the noodles into a large measuring cup--glass--and see how many cups there are. Divide that number of cups of cook spaghetti by 8 servings, and you know whether you get 1/2 or 1 cup per serving.

I hope that answered your question. I normally eat about 1/2 cup serving of rice or other carbs, so I automatically eat about 1/2 cup of spaghetti.

Salud! :drinker: (water)
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yes Desp you have the right Idea. As long as it serves 6 equally & there is none Left over then the servings Will Be 6. Thank you Ron!! I will try to measure it by 1 cup scoops. I always mix my past with the noodles Entirely, then serve. If It's too slippery for the scoop I'll use my Glass 2C measuring cup. I can always up the Serving size to 1/2 C as long as I get an even amount overall. I just needed that begining Measuring Amount.
    I think what I'll do is make it 1 1/2 since you do 1 Cup noodles(cooked). That way I can acct for the added meat and pasta as well. I'll let you know how it turns out after I'm done. Thank you both again so much and to anyone else who posted Before me.
  • truckerchic
    truckerchic Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good thread lol pasta has always confused me
  • angieskia
    Options
    Thanx Berry. I was worried because I don't eat noodles and sauce separately. Don't spoon Sauce Over noodles I mean. I wasn't sure how much a 1/2C would cover the plate. I was trying to see what measurement would help compensate for the sauce & meat Because Even if you Just spoon it over pasta doesn't it count as part of the serving?
  • angieskia
    Options
    Hey Trucker. I think I understand the Pasta part. I didn't know that 2oz uncooked Equated to 1Cup cooked though so I'm glad I asked. It's the pasta and Ground Beef Mixed in With the pasta that I'm not sure how to measure. They are All Apart of my recipes so I believe the Serving size Should Represent ALL Ingredients Not just the Pasta itself. But I think I Will try to measure it by 1 Or 1 1/2C Serving Sizes. Thanx Again to every one who responded to my question. I Over-Analyze Everything when it comes to Cooking cuz I don't really know how or have any Common Sense when it comes to cooking.
  • angieskia
    Options
    I'm done. I measured by 1C and got 12 Servings.
  • KristiGuard
    KristiGuard Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Does wheat pasta measure out the same as regular pasta?? Is it still 1 cup cooked to 2oz dry?
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I had spaghetti and sauce from scratch just last night. It takes me awhile, but I add everything individually when tracking calories. Here's what I did: Whole wheat spaghetti is about 200calories per 2 ounces. There are 8 servings in the package. I roughed it and took out half of the spaghetti... which means that I cooked 8 ounces and 800 calories. I hate half of it (again, I roughed what half was) and logged 400 calories for the spaghetti. I made the sauce seperately and used whole items just like the package of spaghetti. For instance, 1 can of tomato sauce is about 110 calories, so I logged 55 calories into my diary... and so on. My grand total of calories for the meal was approx 650 or so w/ tons of chopped veggies and home grown herbs.

All that said, last night was purposefully a 'carb' and treat night since I hadn't had any pasta in 2 weeks and my work out yesterday and today will be intense. I also used Ives ground meat (fake veggie meat since my wife is a vegetarian). Last, I knew I was goint to have a pasta night so I didn't over do it during the day. The grand result was that I was 20 calories over what MFP told me... considering I'm usually 100-200 under every day, I'm not going to kill myself about it.