Living with Diet Saboteur

Options
Whats the deal with these people?

Replies

• 1808kristin
    1808kristin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You mean the people that know that you are trying to lose weight, but bring home cake, chocolate, kfc etc?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes! The other day I was shopping with my guy and showed him something I can't stop eating when I open a packet of them and he threw it in the trolley for me :grumble:
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    You mean the people that know that you are trying to lose weight, but bring home cake, chocolate, kfc etc?

Yes! Better yet, they actually make a dessert they can't even eat that contains gluten (they follow a gluten free diet) and then leave it right out with a knife to cut a piece off right on the kitchen table and know you are counting calories and weighing all your food.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Have a little strength of mind. Nobody can force you to put food in your mouth, you're the one who does that, sure there are people that don't make it as easy, but ultimately it's up to you, have some willpower.
  • kiittenforever
    Options
    Absolutely.. I didn't touch the stuff and put it away. I'm not blaming anyone for what I chose to or not to eat. The question is why people do this.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.. I didn't touch the stuff and put it away. I'm not blaming anyone for what I chose to or not to eat. The question is why people do this.

It's human nature, people don't want to see other people succeed where they have failed, so they try and bring you down to their level. Rise above
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    They may just be trying to tell you they love you no matter your size.

You don't need to tell anybody you are on a diet.

I never told anyone and did fine.

Just. Said no when someone offered me food that would not fit my calorie allowance for the day.

The only person who can sabotage your diet is YOU.
  • Charocheris
    Charocheris Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's human nature i think it's a mean thing to do. I had someone do this to me. This woman was as skinny as a rake herself, but as soon as she noticed I was losing weight she did all sorts of things to take me off track. If I was you I'd take a slice and chuck it in the bin, make them think you've had some and it will quell whatever desire in them to keep you miserable. When we diet we are trying to get healthy, happy and achieve a goal. The saboteur is saying that they want things to stay as is, usually they feel threatened.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Sabotage would mean maliciously giving you food and saying it was low in calories, sugar, etc. when it wasn't. Sabotuers don't force food down your mouth, so I don't consider them saboteurs. Disruptors, yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kiittenforever
    Options
    I don't think it's human nature i think it's a mean thing to do. I had someone do this to me. This woman was as skinny as a rake herself, but as soon as she noticed I was losing weight she did all sorts of things to take me off track. If I was you I'd take a slice and chuck it in the bin, make them think you've had some and it will quell whatever desire in them to keep you miserable. When we diet we are trying to get healthy, happy and achieve a goal. The saboteur is saying that they want things to stay as is, usually they feel threatened.

I agree - I'm actually glad because when you progress and move in a positive direction the others true colours come out. It is just plain nasty. I'm appalled but not surprised at all by their actions.
  • kiittenforever
    Options
    Sabotage would mean maliciously giving you food and saying it was low in calories, sugar, etc. when it wasn't. Sabotuers don't force food down your mouth, so I don't consider them saboteurs. Disruptors, yes.

IDEA Fitness member

What is the point in Disrupting someones progress?
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    Most probably don't understand the harm, and in a way they're correct ... to an extent. If you work out hard enough, you can continue eating treats without hampering progress, so them making or buying food you consider out of line really isn't out of line. What I had to do is either change my workouts to fit in these extra calories, or simply ignore it. Eventually people get tired of throwing out perfectly good food (and money).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

What is the point in Disrupting someones progress?
    There are multiple reasons: Checking to see if you're serious, jealousy, teasing, disagreement on your approach, anger because you may be indirectly forcing them to eat your way, etc.

IDEA Fitness member
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

Yes! Better yet, they actually make a dessert they can't even eat that contains gluten (they follow a gluten free diet) and then leave it right out with a knife to cut a piece off right on the kitchen table and know you are counting calories and weighing all your food.

At that point, I'd pick it up, walk over to the bin, and dump it. Problem solved. Temptation gone.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I live with someone who doesn't like sweets often, but when he does, he eats a lot of it in one sitting. It's really a matter of your own willpower, or buying your own sweets. That's what I do. I mentally label the sweets as his sweets and my sweets, once in a while I'll snag a couple of his cookies, but that's pretty much as far as I go.

It's not sabotage in our world, he's happy with his sweets, I'm happy with mine. Life is good.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

It's human nature, people don't want to see other people succeed where they have failed, so they try and bring you down to their level. Rise above

I don't think it's human nature, or even anything malicious. I think food comes to represent an emotional connection between people, and when one party in a relationship starts to turn down food the other party takes it as personal rejection -- or they become anxious that the other person is changing or something. This is often seen in mother-child relationships where the mother expresses love by providing and offering food, particularly "comfort" food. They aren't trying to sabotage you, it's just they are misguided in their attempt to connect with you. At least that's how I generally see it. Of course some people are just *kitten*, and yeah, those people are probably trying to see you fail.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If someone you are living with does it on purpose, like cooking or buying things only for you, knowing you do not want to eat these things, have an open discussion explaining why this is hurting you, and if nothign changes, then just throwing the food away might be what this person needs to get the message.
    If you are living with others with different diet habits, then you need to increase your willpower, hard as it seems. I have 3 kids, one of them going through a huge growth spurt. I cannot deny them treats or larger portions etc, I just have to ignore the food.