Heart Rate Monitor for Swimming

Options
Hi everyone,

I am looking at investing in a heart rate monitor for the gym and working out. I currently have a very cheap one which gives a guideline of the calories burnt during exercise, it includes the chest strap but you cannot put your height weight etc in it which means it's not specific enough for me. I've seen alot of people use the Polar hrms and they look like the sort of thing I am after. I am happy using a chest strap and understand this is the most accurate way of measuring heart rate. The problem is atleast half of my exercise is swimming. I'd like to be able to use a heart rate monitor for swimming otherwise I don't see much point in getting one. Do people have recommendations for which ones to use. I'd like it to last me a while and the capability of things like downloading information, or storing targets etc for when I get fitter and look at doing races.

thanks very much everyone!

Replies

• kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is waterproof and you can input your information. It doesn't have the ability to download data but it does store info on your last ten training sessions so you can go back and check data.
  • KLiburd86
    KLiburd86 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've got an FT7, I've not used it in the pool, but as with the FT4 it's waterproof. Here's the link: http://www.polar.com/uk-en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT7 I got mine off eBay for around £50 :-)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Check wether the waterproof ones actually work whilst swiiming. My Garmin is waterproof but doesn't transmit properly in the pool. Its waterproof so you can use it for triathalon training ie put it on when you get dressed rather than having to put it on in transition.
  • cggrlsteph
    cggrlsteph Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I swim 3-4 times a week. I have the Polar FT4, it is waterproof. The issue I have is even though you add your H&W your calorie count won't be right because these HRM are for aerobic/run/walk type stuff. So after a 40-50 minute workout it may say you only burned 300-350 calories and you stayed within your target heart rate. I find that the calorie count is off by 100-150. If you just want something to keep you in your target heart rate and times your workouts in the pool... i recommend the Polar FT4 or FT7... if money is an issue just go with the 4... almost the same stuff. But if you really want to know your calorie burned then your gonna have to look into a multisport HRM so you can select "swimming" to get the true burned calories. Hope that helps.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    polar ft7 but don't press any button on the watch while in the water or you will ruin it. I actually put my watch in a baggie and put in the side of my suit but I swim at home.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    There is a new one coming out called Moov. Swimming is one of the activities. Sounds like it might work for what you want it for but since it is new I have no idea how accurate it is. Here is the website if you want to check it out.

http://preorder.moov.cc/

Oh and it is pretty reasonably priced.
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I got the finis AQUA PULSE® HEART RATE MONITOR last year and used it every day. I loved it, because I didn't have to bother with the chest strap. It connects to your goggle strap and to your earlobe and audibly gives you a heart rate.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've got a Polar H7 and took it swimming. The sensor is Bluetooth-linked to my iPhone, which I left on the side of the pool. The GPS recorded the distance pretty accurately, too. I'm wearing a tight Nike compression sports bra as a swim top, and it keeps the breast strap in place. The only complaint that I have about it is that the batteries won't last too long. But they are standard and easy to change.
  • bprpic
    Options
    Hi!

I have a question. You say you leave your iPhone by the pool. How do you measure your heart rate then? Does the Bluetooth link transmit through water at all?
    Also, I don't understand how GPS could work. Sorry for questions but I'm wondering if I'm getting something wrong :)