Help with tonned legs :)

I know you can't pick where to loose weight or tone but I want some advice on how to make my legs and thighs smaller and toned! I've got a treadmill,cross trainer and rowing machine. What's the best exercise too do! And for how long? Just I'm off in holiday in august and I'm hoping to feel comfortable in holiday clothes! Someone help me please :)

Replies

• ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Smaller and toned don't really go hand in hand.

Either way, squats.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Squats, lunges and deadlifts!!! :wink:
  • transmute
    transmute Posts: 50 Member
    I don't understand what it is you're looking for. Your post literally says "I know you can't choose where to lose weight or tone" and then immediately goes on to ask how to tone in the place you've chosen.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Squats and lunges are best. Good Luck
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    To make them smaller, overall fat loss. You've just said yourself you know you can't target that. It'll come off where it comes off. A calorie deficit is what you need.

To tone them you combine the fat loss with resistance exercises to at least maintain the muscle there. Squats..lunges..deadlifts.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    On leg day add weighted hip thrusts and finish with 3 sets of bridges.
    If you don't understand what I mean, hire a personal trainer and get a full body program.

PS if you don't already have the muscle available, you'll be spinning your wheels till the cows come home.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Try Pilates or a ballet workout like the Ballet Beautiful classic 60 minute workout.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    I know you can't pick where to loose weight or tone but I want some advice on how to make my legs and thighs smaller and toned! I've got a treadmill,cross trainer and rowing machine. What's the best exercise too do! And for how long? Just I'm off in holiday in august and I'm hoping to feel comfortable in holiday clothes! Someone help me please :)

Wait...you just admitted that you know you can't spot reduce, then turn right around and ask for exercises that help you...spot reduce? Are you even hearing yourself?

You. Can't. Spot. Reduce.

Ever. There's nothing you can do, but stay at a deficit and be patient. Trust me, I know the frustration, I have big thighs, too. I had to watch in agony as my body cut fat from everywhere on my body, my arms, ribs, back, waist, belly, and even my FACE before my legs started to budge. :explode:

Stick with it, it'll happen.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Squats & deadlifts - and work on going heavy.....
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116

Wait...you just admitted that you know you can't spot reduce, then turn right around and ask for exercises that help you...spot reduce? Are you even hearing yourself?

Ever. There's nothing you can do, but stay at a deficit and be patient. Trust me, I know the frustration, I have big thighs, too. I had to watch in agony as my body cut fat from everywhere on my body, my arms, ribs, back, waist, belly, and even my FACE before my legs started to budge. :explode:

Agreed with this. I can honestly say that tons of steady state cardio or endurance running won't even help that much. If you've got muscular thighs, they won't be going anywhere anytime soon. FYI my thighs actually determine my pants size rather than waist and I can not wear jeans.
  • mrsgoochy
    mrsgoochy Posts: 61 Member
    We've just ordered a variety of dumbells to start building muscle; any good websites or routines on using them for squats, lunges, etc?
    Thanks
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Smaller = fat loss
    Toned = muscle
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Any of those would work just fine, in my opinion the treadmill will work the most leg muscles if you run. But those machines alone won't give you toned legs, to get smaller you'll also want to eat on a calorie deficit. Set up your goals in MFP and it will tell you about how many calories you should be aiming for each day. The more you work out, the more you can eat.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Squats and lunges are best. Good Luck

+1
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

+1
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member

This. Although my legs show my gains/losses first. I tend to lose from my arms and stomach last.

And I want to add that no matter how "muscular" you think your legs are, you do have fat over the top of that muscle. It may not jiggle, but it's there and it is possible to lose it.