Is a Nutritional Scale helpful and worth the money?

run4yourlife
run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I scored a great deal on a Nutrition Scale today. However, I was reading over the instructions, and although it has almost 1000 foods in the memory, it seems that you need to enter the code of the food in the index and then it calculates the nutritional value of that food based on the weight. I was hoping I could actually place say a meal that I actually made myself on it and it would tell me the nutritional information of that meal, not just one particular food item. Does such a thing exist? I'm wondering if this scale just isn't going to meet my needs. Does anyone else have one? Do you like it? Does it do what I was hoping this one would? Thanks!

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Given the variability, I don't know of any tool that will analyze an entire meal without entering the separate components. Not exactly sure what you were expecting.

If the scale is made by Eat Right, it has an excellent reputation. I looked at one when I started my program, but I decided that database was not necessary--esp with so much information quickly available from the internet (like MFP!)

I ended up just getting the basic scale from Eat Right, which is excellent.

Depending on how "great" the price was, I wouldn't be too concerned. A good stand alone digital scale for the kitchen will cost $25-$30 anyhow, so, even if you don't use all the bells and whistles, you probably still have a great scale.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    I just use a postage scale that measures grams and ounces, and then plug the info into MFP and that's how I know what I'm eating.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Sounds like you'd have to add each ingredient before you threw it into what you were making. :o( It's good to just use the calorie counter on here, and do portion control. Like only one serving of meat is 4oz(a deck of cards). I don't think I would ever get one of those. I have all I need on this site.
This discussion has been closed.