Lower carb, higher protein ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mention that polyunsaturated fats are the most unstable oil you could use.

I meant that I'm aiming to boost omega 3 and avoid trans-fats and altered fats. I'm following this, which is MS related but relates to general disease prevention too (cancer, heart disease)

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/Recovery-Program/Role-of-Fats-in-MS/Trans-fatty-Acids-and-Other-Altered-Fats/
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Seasoned and roasted soy beans make a nice relatively low carb and high protein snack.

Do you get them in the shops or roast them yourself?
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Edamame :-) soy beans i snack on them & put them in salads , good luck and congrats on the marathon and managing your ms fantastic , oh I eat lots of almonds too perhaps try almond milk I love it
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You can buy roast soy beans in Tesco, I've seen roast broad beans (Lapsnacks is the brand name I think) in Dobbies, and roast garbanzos (chickpeas) in Holland and Barrett. I've also seen recipes for roasting your own.
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Edamame :-) soy beans i snack on them & put them in salads , good luck and congrats on the marathon and managing your ms fantastic , oh I eat lots of almonds too perhaps try almond milk I love it

Edamame, yes they're quote tasty! Thanks!

Yes, been having almond milk for years, switched from soya because read so much conflicting reports about it. Wish they'd make up their mind, is it a superfood or is it linked to cancer?! I still have soya but it was creeping into every meal so try to cut back a bit.
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    You can buy roast soy beans in Tesco, I've seen roast broad beans (Lapsnacks is the brand name I think) in Dobbies, and roast garbanzos (chickpeas) in Holland and Barrett. I've also seen recipes for roasting your own.

Thanks will have a gander next time I'm in Tesco and H&B.
  • marmitenot
    Options
    Here a link for the pita bread I was speaking of:

https://www.josephsbakery.com/shop/flax-oat-bran-whole-wheat-pita-bread.html

Not sure if you can get it in the UK. Could probably get it online and have it shipped. It's got a decent shelf life.
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Many thanks, found a UK site here: https://www.carblife.co.uk/wraps-and-flatbreads/josephs-pita-bread-6-pack

This has made me so happy!! Can be frozen for 3 months too.
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Arrr I take that back, they've got nasty mono-diglycerides in!! All pita breads or wraps in the supermarket have these in!!!
  • Cozumel2014
    Cozumel2014 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    here's one of my favorites - about 350 calories for 2 and only about 10 carbs

Portabella Pizza

preheat oven 350 bake 20 mins

Portabella Mushroom Caps - 2
    lay top side down and brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle some minced garlic (i like the roasted)
    2 tablespoons of pizza sauce on each - i get gluten free organic
    7 pepperonis on each
    1/8 cup shredded cheese on each
    diced onions, bell peppers, tomatoes

Here's the thing - you can build it the way you like! I've used shredded chicken, bbq sauce, red onion and cilantro.....ground turkey, onions, salsa and avocado....sliced tomatoes, thin sliced mozzarella and basil... pesto, pine nuts and chicken... its endless, filling and super yummy! You control the carb/calorie count by what you add. 2 portebella's are about 80 calories and 4 net carbs.

enjoy!