I work in an Office, and losing weight is so hard!

Options

Replies

• gksmith5757
    Options
    Just take an hour every day (I'm sure you can spare it either before or after work) and walk. That should be about 4 miles. If you do that every day, and eat healthy, the weight will fall off. I needed to lose weight for a physical for a civil service position and I lost about 30 pounds in less than 3 months, and that was all I did; ate well, and 4 miles a day.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You are going to burn those whether you were walking or not.

Good point.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    - Instead of calling/emailing my coworkers when I need to talk to them, I walk to wherever they are and talk to them face to face. It adds up quite a bit over the course of the day!

Another fantastic suggestion. I work in IT and as such need to interface with other people in the office a lot. I also have a couple of remote desktop tools but I haven't used them at all for at least a year and opt to instead walk to people's desk and help them.

Another thing is that our office has 6 floors. I use the stairs all the time as opposed to the elevators. Granted, not 100% of the time, but I'd say a good majority. That certainly helps.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    What I see are a lot of people who are getting high and mighty and think they are above the situation the OP is in.
    Or maybe people are reflecting on their own experience. A lot of people spent years making excuses and once they decided to stop making excuses they had positive changes in their life. Emotions and excuses are major barriers to weight loss and fitness.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options

That is your assumption/perception. I've read the same responses you have, and I do not see them coming across like that. They come across as people being honest. People aren't here to sugar coat anything and things may not come across all touchy feely. In the end, it's all about ones perception about the words they read on the thread.

Then it's also perception for people to see the OP as an excuses maker too, right? My perception is the OP doesn't know how to navigate this and he's seeing more obstacles-- sedentary work, not able to drive, boredom at work-- than opportunities.
  • Nerdycurls
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the OP is a guy for those referring to him as a she :)

Also OP, the biggest hurdle you'll have is feeling silly or something in front of your coworkers. Get over that, quickly. And you won't hurt anybodies feelings by not having cake/cookies/donut. If all else fails, keep a stash of paper towels at your desk and then throw whatever they give you away and put a paper towel over it.

Haha yes I am a guy, but I didn't want to correct anyone or make them feel bad. But either way all the responses are helpful (some a little more blunt than others, but whatever) I was in a meeting earlier and all I was doing instead of taking notes, was making a shopping list!

Now it's up to you to take the suggestions and make them into lifestyle changes. This requires a little bit of creativity and discipline on your part. Don't worry about the coworkers-- they will always get offended by something. I had coworkers get offended because I wanted to go for a walk during my break instead of sit and chat. At the end of the day, YOU are the one who has to make the decisions, not them.

Sorry about mistaking you for a girl :P
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    welcome to the corporate world. before work, lunch break and after work. don't have access to a gym get outside and walk/run. pick up a sport. it's not easy but if you want it bad enough you'll figure out a way to get active. oh and bring your own lunch/snacks to work and stay out of the cafeteria. :) good luck
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It can be a struggle to fit in the exercise when you have a desk job. Like many others here, I pack lunch 4 days a week, stock my office with healthy snacks like almonds and yogurt. I also have a fitbit, and to get my steps in in the winter time, I will walk at lunch and then get the remaining steps on a little elliptical trainer I have while I watch TV at home. I stalled out and wasn't losing weight until I set MFP to sedentary. It also encourages me to get those extra steps in at night so I can gain a few extra calories for a small dessert.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

That is your assumption/perception. I've read the same responses you have, and I do not see them coming across like that. They come across as people being honest. People aren't here to sugar coat anything and things may not come across all touchy feely. In the end, it's all about ones perception about the words they read on the thread.

Then it's also perception for people to see the OP as an excuses maker too, right? My perception is the OP doesn't know how to navigate this and he's seeing more obstacles-- sedentary work, not able to drive, boredom at work-- than opportunities.

AKA excuses (obstacles). Some people don't realize they are making excuses until someone says that they are. I've been guilty of that in the past. Until someone realizes that they have a reason why they can't do x, y, & z then they'll continue having reasons why they can't do those things.

ETA; When I say reasons, I really mean excuses. "I don't know how to drive" "it's too far to walk", while both of those are true statements, they are excuses because there are ways to get there. I'm sure there is public transportation, a family/friend who wouldn't mind taking or going with the OP.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit to track my steps.
    I bring healthy snacks, so I don't waste money in the lunch room.
    I exercise after work, so I look forward to that.
    I drink a lot of water, so I'm always walking to the bathroom.
    I stand as much as possible.
    For me, I typically don't eat "lunch." I walk for my lunch. I have 2-3 snacks per day at my desk.

^^^Yep this is pretty much me too! I have a Fitbit Force so I track my steps. I plan ahead and bring healthy snacks & meals to the office. When I grab lunch out I opt for healthier options and/or portion control. And I work out in the evening when I get home. I do belong to a gym but hardly go..........there are so many workouts available for free on youtube cardio, HIIT, cross training, yoga, bodyweight, really it's limitless!! I also have weights and kettlebells at home. During work hours I get up AT LEAST once an hour and take a spin around the office or to the rest room. In fact, I've been known to do squats, lunges,& jumping jacks in the rest room just to get the blood flowing so I don't feel so sedentary.

Bottomline - stay in your calorie goal & work out before or after work, and find ways to move move move during work hours. Lot's of us have office jobs....it's not an excuse to be unfit.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit to track my steps.
    I bring healthy snacks, so I don't waste money in the lunch room.
    I exercise after work, so I look forward to that.
    I drink a lot of water, so I'm always walking to the bathroom.
    I stand as much as possible.
    For me, I typically don't eat "lunch." I walk for my lunch. I have 2-3 snacks per day at my desk.

This is pretty much me, but I can't get a fitbit because I have a severe nickel allergy. I heard that they recently recalled the offending devices. Hopefully they're working on a model that doesn't have a stainless steel sensor.

On top of that list, I also park far away from my work building and my school building (I go to school 3 nights a week) so I have to walk more. I go straight to the gym after work and then straight to school after that 2 nights a week. It means dragging around and packing up a lot of bags - lunch bag, gym bag, school bag - and sometimes feeling like I don't really have any time to do anything. I am out of the house from 7:30AM-10PM most days, but I have more energy now then I did last semester when I was eating like crap and laying around in my spare time.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the OP is a guy for those referring to him as a she :)

Also OP, the biggest hurdle you'll have is feeling silly or something in front of your coworkers. Get over that, quickly. And you won't hurt anybodies feelings by not having cake/cookies/donut. If all else fails, keep a stash of paper towels at your desk and then throw whatever they give you away and put a paper towel over it.

Haha yes I am a guy, but I didn't want to correct anyone or make them feel bad. But either way all the responses are helpful (some a little more blunt than others, but whatever) I was in a meeting earlier and all I was doing instead of taking notes, was making a shopping list!

you are adjusting nicely to corporate america - making your shopping list during a meeting! ha we've all done this. btw good for you for not taking all this advice too personally. some people get so bent over not so friendly advice.
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    And the reason people are jumping on you OP (and it took quite a bit for me not to as well). You state that

A) You've been getting to/from work for 10 months
    B) The gym is too far because you can't drive.

You must have some form of transportation to get to work. Thus the "gym is too far" is seen as an excuse. Does it really take 10 months to get a driver's license?

You're blaming the fact that you're bored or don't want to hurt feelings as the reason you're snaking/grazing. Another excuse and misplacement of blame. Other people have little to no impact on what you consume and "bored eating" doesn't matter if you're making proper snaking choices.

So people are taking issue with it. They see that you have already identified what is wrong and what they are saying is "stop blaming other people or some made up circumstances and go fix it."
  • Nerdycurls
    Options
    This thread is ridiculous.

Not ridiculous enough to prevent you from posting, I see.
    So many enablers. Enabling isn't supporting. It's the opposite.

Who here has enabled? Who told the OP they shouldn't worry about having poor eating habits and it's all okay? Not a single person. People ask questions when they don't know and the OP has admitted he's made poor choices but would like to get some help about it. How does that warrant "get your lazy *kitten* out" statements?
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I find that I do better with my eating when I'm at work and I have a 9-5 desk job. I pack every single thing (including snacks) that I'm going to eat at work every day and avoid the cafeteria. When I get bored I log onto MFP or twitter instead of snacking. If you have an hour lunch break consider using the first hour to take a walk and the second half to eat.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    there's this feature called "logging calories" on MFP and I use it.
    there is this for sure.. but it includes preplanning. bring healtier thinsgs to snack on at work. drink more water and exercise when you get off of work or before work. you don't need a gym so that isn't a good enough excuse. its all comes down to choice of what you eat and what you do. How bad do you want to be losing weight or be healthier? ask yourself that
  • AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I started walking on my lunch.
    Started out small, mapped out a route using Mapmyfitness, and I could walk it only just in an hour, then started pushing myself to walk a little bit further each day, taking the long way around roundabouts, walking around the block an extra time when I have the time before I go back.

Now the weather is better, I walk for a few miles after work.

If you drive, park further away than normal for the extra walk before and after work.

Tell others in the office you're on a diet, and get them to stop you snacking.

Offer to get the drinks more often, so you are away from your desk.

There's no such thing as willpower, if you are serious about losing the weight, you'll do it.
    Don't make excuses
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I really need help controlling my weight in this now non active life style. At my old job I was always on my feet, running around, sweating and seldom had time to stop and eat. Now since I sit at a desk all day long, and our office has a built in cafeteria and staff, I feel that all I do is munch and snack. I admit that I often eat to pass time, so I often catch myself getting a muffin or grabbing a tuna salad just to kill time. I guess my question is; to my fellow office workers, how do you deal with eating healthy and staying active at work?

Find other stuff to do to pass/kill the time. It can be difficult - but hopefully there will be work to keep you busy!
    Keep out of the cafeteria - log the food you are going to eat or better yet, only eat what you bring in and at lunch for outside for a walk.
    Drink lots of water and herbal tea too.