What do you do when you want to give up?

2»

Replies

• fitfan11
    fitfan11 Posts: 544 Member
    I take an inventory of the things I have been blessed with and get my *kitten* back to work.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    When I want to give up, I do what I can:
    - eat as healthfully as I have time/money/energy for, and within maintenance cals so I'm not setting myself back.
    - just walk, even if it's not fast or for very long. Just go outside and breathe.
    - know that this too will pass, and on other days I'll have more energy

Hopefully you get some better medical support for your thyroid levels. Meanwhile, just keep on doing what you can. You can succeed!
    :flowerforyou:
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    I think long and hard about the alternative which so far is keeping me on track! I also have Hashimoto's and mostly all I do about that is take an Amour Thyroid supplement along with the occasional iodine supp. Did you know there is at least one MFP group that is about Hashimoto's? "Butterfly Chasers, A place for those with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis to network and find support and encouragement." I've also been reading about the link between Hashimoto's and gluten.

Good for you for asking the question. Sometimes for me, externalizing my feelings helps me get unstuck. I hope you find the motivation you need to continue! Best of luck!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    I basically say to myself "tough **** - keep going anyway". This is something that never ends, and as long as you never give up - you WILL get to your goal one day.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    I have a thyroid issue as well (monitored but not medicinally treated at this point) and am insulin-resistant. I have lost the same 20 lbs over and over again for the past 3 years.

I have lost my mojo many times, only to end up back here, either on or near square one. Believe me, it may seem fruitless and frustrating to keep going, and you may even think it would be easier or more comfortable to just give up, as you mentioned... but the alternative is not a whole lot better, and may even lead to early death. Yeah, think about that for a second.

So when I want to quit, I ask myself... is the alternative any better? Yeah, didn't think so.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I also have Hashimotos. I gave this advice to someone recently:

My biggest advice would be to get rid of your endocrinologist, and see a naturopathic doctor instead. They are still board-certified medical doctors, but they approach diseases from more of a holistic point of view. Some people are really not interested in that, and think it's a pseudo-science, but I was able to lose weight and get healthy.

Switching to a natural medication like Armour proved far more effective for me (it's still a prescription, you still get it at the pharmacy) than traditional thyroid medications. Feeling better enabled me to start losing weight, and when I got down into the healthy range of weight for my height, blood tests began coming back with thyroid levels in the range of normal as well.

The size of my thyroid has shrunk as well, as noted by ultrasound. Most endocrinologists will say this is not possible. But it definitely is.

I do get blood work done periodically, and I'll reevaluate if I do need medication again.

Good luck!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    I don't give up. I will never give up again. It's never about staying motivated - it's about building good habits. Habits never flake.

fitness-rules.jpg
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I don't give up. I will never give up again. It's never about staying motivated - it's about building good habits. Habits never flake.

fitness-rules.jpg

I love this!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member

fitness-rules.jpg

I love this!

I was thinking the same thing.
  • deannasueknutson
    deannasueknutson Posts: 38 Member
    I always try to think of the quote "When you feel like quitting, ask yourself why you started." That is what keeps me going. There is a reason I'm want to get healthier and get to a lower weight. That is my motivation.
  • jessrainsb
    jessrainsb Posts: 38 Member
    Thanks for all the responses.

Endgame - Thanks for the tip about the iodine, I've heard about the thyroid/iodine connection but never really looked into it. It looks promising, I may have to give it a try.

To everyone else, thank for the encouragement. It sucks to have medical problems, but it's nice to at least talk with others who've been there done that.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Can't help you much with the thyroid issue. I don't know enough about it.

I can tell you though that the weight that I've lost, I've lost it without exercising. If you're going to pick something to really hunker down on (yes, I'm from Kentucky), then choose to do that with whatever food you're consuming.

It's more important to regulate how you fuel your body then what you're doing to do with it once the fuel's been put in.

I had my "aha moment" in April 2011 when I went to a school event with my daughter. I was so out of shape and obese that I could hardly walk from the parking lot to the door. When I got in the door, I had to sit down and catch my breath. There wasn't a place for me to sit, so I plopped down on the floor. The teachers asked if they could do something to help, and I had the nerve to grumble at them for making me walk so far. I remember telling myself, "Something has got to change."

I can't go back to that. I could hardly walk up the stairs without huffing/puffing. I constantly got sick. My husband was constantly worried about me. I've been there, and now I'm here, and I like here better than there.
  • lecounth
    lecounth Posts: 42 Member
    I go to the gym to see familiar faces of others who are trying to be healthy like I am.

I have a small talk with myself and say that I have the choice to listen to the "angel" or the "devil". No one else is putting food in my mouth.

I distract myself with tinkering around the house -- trying to catch up on laundry, reading the paper (as in, the ACTUAL newspaper), piddle in the yard with raking or other random stuff that needs to be done. . .

And on really bad days, I put on the pair of shorts I used to wear every fall semester when the institution I work for opened for the semester. I wore the same shorts for years and one year they were even too small. Now they are about 4 sizes too big. THAT is a reality check of where I am not going again!