What Should I be eating to lose weight?

Options
Hi all!

I am 27, 5ft6 and weigh almost 11sts. This is the most I have ever weighed. When I was 20, I weighed 9st and felt pretty comfortable. Now that I'm not as active, those biscuits and sweets head straight for my thighs and I can't wear my favourite jeans anymore! And, I seem to be the only one in my friendship group who has gained. It feels awful to have let myself go, and I know it's only myself to blame.

I'd love to lose this weight healthily, and get back down to 9 stone. I've joined the gym, I walk to work and I've picked up a tennis racket however I need help with my food! I plan to cut down on the general amount I eat, since moving in with my boyfriend I seem to eat SO much of the wrong things.

So I know I'm going to have to say goodbye to chocolate and takeaways. But then what? What sort of daily meal plan can anyone recommend? Or was there a commercial diet you tried and recommend? I have tried South Beach and Atkins before, and suffered awful insomnia - so I can't do zero carb unfortunately.

If you can offer any support, I'd be extremely grateful!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot of weight to lose. I suggest plugging your numbers into MFP, set the goal weight loss to 0.5 or 1 lbs per week.

The important thing is to accurately and consistently log the food you eat. Don't skip days. Weigh your food, so you know for sure that it's 100g or 5 ounces, or whatever. You don't have to eat low carb or high fat or anything you don't want to do. The key is to eat less calories than you use by moving around.

The calorie goal MFP gives you already has a deficit built in. So don't be afraid to eat all the calories it tells you to. Good luck!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You don't need to give up foods, just eat within your calorie goal.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever allows you to achieve your desired caloric deficit and be happy. If that's an Atkins diet, then eat foods that are consistent with Atkins-friendly macros. If you find you need to save some of your daily calories for chocolate and ice cream in order to be happy, then that's what you should be eating. There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want. I have chocolate every day ( or else life isn't worth living) . There is nothing forbidden, not even pizza and fried chicken. Just use the site to keep ACCURATE track of what you eat--log EVERYTHING--and make sure you exercise enough that your daily intake of calories is less than your expenditure. The site will keep track for you. That's all. Easy as that. It's not about deprivation, it's about making the right choices. No need for gimmick diets, which cost a ridiculous amount.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Foods to eat - after you've been logging a few days - you will notice that some of the foods you are currently eating are great (serving sizes make sense or have a lot of nutrition). Other foods may shock you a bit (servings are tiny or calories are terribly high). That's all part of learning a new lifestyle.

I find that non-processed foods give me more......more protein, more fiber, larger serving size, for fewer calories. But I won't give up any food completely, I just have to "manage" them better.
  • funnytummy16
    funnytummy16 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your answers guys, this is really helpful. I am going to set up my MFP goals right now!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yep, it doesn't have to be about what you eat, but more of how much you eat. A diet full of takeaways and chocolate can still yield weight loss if you do a good job of tracking calories and stay under your goal. The down side of that is that food like those are often calorie dense (have lots of calories for little volume of food) and you will potentially find yourself hungry often. Foods that are light on the calories and nutrient dense can help you eat less because the overall volume will be more. Many people find success changing one or two things at a time. Instead of takeaways every day, start packing a lunch or making a healthy meal at home 2-3 nights a week. If you drink full sugar soda, drop back to diet soda. Small things can add up, but you will want to also track calories so you can keep at goal. Soon you will start to see what things you are more willing to cut for better choices. One meal that comes in at your calories for the day will be a big wake up call (usually is for me) and helps me make the better choices. Healthy food doesn't need to taste bad.

My diary is always open, I haven't logged much the past few weeks, but I have a few weeks in January and Feb filled out. Also a whole lot from a year ago. I've gone between 1500 and 1900 calories depending on my goals at the time.
  • funnytummy16
    funnytummy16 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks jstout365 - what foods do you find filling? And if you were to pack a lunch, what would be in it please?